geocaching permission data base

i was wondering if there was such a thing as a data base of agreement to geocache on their site letters, by that i mean is there somewhere i can log onto and find out if a certain area has already got agreement from the landowners for geocachers to hide cache's on their land, i have only found 70 so far and i'm going to wait till i've found 100 before i hide my first geocaches , that way i'm hoping i will have found quite a variety of cache's and i'll have a lot more experience in this wonderful past time , if anyone does know if there is a site could they please let me know

thankyou in advance

muttitt

i was wondering if there was such a thing as a data base of agreement to geocache on their site letters, by that i mean is there somewhere i can log onto and find out if a certain area has already got agreement from the landowners for geocachers to hide cache's on their land, i have only found 70 so far and i'm going to wait till i've found 100 before i hide my first geocaches , that way i'm hoping i will have found quite a variety of cache's and i'll have a lot more experience in this wonderful past time , if anyone does know if there is a site could they please let me know

thankyou in advance

muttitt

Check your local forums further down on the index page. I know of no list per say, but locals from your area will know the ins and outs.

At one time I pushed pretty hard for Groundspeak to implement Placement Permission Contact Information fields on the cache listing submission page, an idea that was declined by Groundspeak and resoundingly rejected here in the forum.

I guess doing so would reveal what I call 'geocaching's dirty little secret' - which is that very few caches have any permission at all.

At one time I pushed pretty hard for Groundspeak to implement Placement Permission Contact Information fields on the cache listing submission page, an idea that was declined by Groundspeak and resoundingly rejected here in the forum.

I guess doing so would reveal what I call 'geocaching's dirty little secret' - which is that very few caches have any permission at all.

thanks for replying, how niave am i , well you can rest assured that ALL my cache's will be placed with permission as i intend for them to be accessable for disabled geocachers whether in a wheel chair or not, i am however a bit dissapointed that some of the most beautiful places around me have a definete NO from landowners for geocaching

thankyou in advance

muttitt

I was just going to ask the same question.One was posted not too long ago but I cant find it or remember who wrote it.Maybe it was Knowschad.Sorry if I am mistaken.

I once went to ask a business owner for permission to hide a geocache on the outskirts of his very large property. He was very nice, and said for liability reasons he had to say no. I don't blame him. However, he told me he wished I HADN'T asked him for permission (it would reduce his liability since he knew nothing about it!). Wink Wink

I once went to ask a business owner for permission to hide a geocache on the outskirts of his very large property. He was very nice, and said for liability reasons he had to say no. I don't blame him. However, he told me he wished I HADN'T asked him for permission (it would reduce his liability since he knew nothing about it!). Wink Wink

Unfortunately 'no' is always the easiest answer and thus the one most commonly given, no matter what the question is.

My sales training from eons ago kicks in, however, when someone says no, especially if they give me a reason... my instinct is to overcome whatever the objection is. You may be amazed at how often that works so long as you are not seen as rude or pushy.

Arguing with the landowner rarely works, but you could enlighten him that his reasoning is unsound if you think he's willing to listen.

Firstly he's probably not liable for accidents on his land if he isn't charging for admission to them and hasn't created what is known as an 'attractive nuisance'.

Secondly if he is liable then his liability is hardly reduced by his not knowing that the cache was there. He's expected to know and be responsible for what's on his land.

Sometimes a 'no' can be overcome by giving him the contact info for other landowners in the area who have permitted caches on their land and have had no problems.