Polite none cacher

Last fall I was out hiking and caching and one of the caches I found (Boar Hog Gap GCTFFK) had a log written by a none-cacher. I don’t remember the exact wording of the log, but apparently this person had been out hiking in the rain and heard the unmistakable sound of water dripping on metal. (The cache is a ammo can hidden behind the roots of a tree near a cliff.) Apparently the rain was collecting at the fork of a limb and dripping on the cache, which was lying on its side, thus the ding -ding - ding sound that attracted the hikers attention. The log was very detailed and the cache was replaced correctly. Although the writer made no indication on whether or not he/she would join the game, and I saw no evidence of an online log for the find, I was presently surprised by their respect for our game.

I am assuming that none = non ??? :D

Yup - one of the first caches I found had a nice story in the physical log of being found by a Colorado DOT employee. She left a DOT uniform patch in trade and a very nice log. Its happened a handful of times on my caches that I know about. Including one from a Hwy patrolman that went to investgate why some guys were off in a field. He found the box and opened it up and left a very nice log and took a photo of himself on the cache camera. Shows the importance of marking the box and leaving an explanation sheet.

Yep. I have several caches that have been logged by non-cachers. One is very remote and about 60% of the logs are by non-cachers. Another in a local park that was once a WWI Army Base was logged by a guy out metal detecting. He even left some stuff he dug up.

Edited by Snoogans

I have found a couple caches that were logged by non-cachers. I have heard of people leaving really nasty logs, but all the ones I've seen so far have been very nice.

I have a cache that just a couple weeks ago had a great log on it.

"After a nice slight challenge to drive up the road, there's only a couple feet of snow and ice on the ground. We stopped to enjoy one of my favorite views of Mount Ranier. Playing in the snow, my 10 year old son found this Cache (by accident) while enjoying the view. GPS was not in use for the find... but the adventure has now sparked an interest in Geocaching. I grabbed my GPS, always in hand or vehicle, and marked the way point for future use. We're off to start our first real track down and find."

I have been watching to see if they follow through and find some caches. :D

I had one that was found by the Pennsylvania State Police after they received a call about a suspicious vehicle. The cache is a guardrail hide near a bridge with a nice view of a creek. He took it back to the barracks and discovered that it was a Geocaching container. Once he realized that it was part of a game, he returned it to where he found it. He signed the log with something like "Your geocaching ring has been broken up by Trooper ______ of the Pennsylvania State Police. We received a report of suspicious activity and upon investigating I found this container." He closed with a Have Fun!

I've found several others that have been found by non-cachers. One of them described the site where the cache was hidden as an old sawmill. They were doing some archaeological work when they discovered the container.

There's one we have locally that I've not found yet, but in the logs it's stated that the cache was found by....

A Cal Fire Convict crew that was clearing some roadside foliage.

Apparently several logs were noted, and the cache was replace, although not very well. I picked up a log book with some pretty graphic language scrawled on the pages, very obviously muggle "logs", but the cache was in the right spot.

We once found a cache on the banks of the Mississippi where some Hmong boys were fishing. Using stealth, we grabbed the cache and saw that the last entry in the log was made by a non cacher. It said something like, "This is me and my friends' favorite fishing spot. Left my lucky lure." Sure enough, in the cache was a well-used lure. We thought it was pretty cute. As we left, I wondered if it was one of the boys fishing.

Yep. My first hide lasted two years. When I archived it to make room for other caches in the area in the log book was this log.

"Pretty cool thing you guys do. Just out here with my friends partying. We didn't have anything else to leave so here you go."

In between the pages of the log was a half burnt, hand rolled, other than tobacco, product. I disposed of it.

They replaced the cache, didn't harm it in any way, and well even if they didn't take anything they did leave something and signed the log. Better than some cachers!

Coolest muggles ever! :D

We found one up the House Rock Falls trail here in Oregon, and while we were signing the log and arguing over swag another group came up to us explaining that they had found it by accident the night before but no one had a pencil so they back to sign the log. The trail was a rough half mile with a pretty decent altitude change, so was amazed that they made the trek back just to sign a log. They had brought some pretty shells and bird feathers to place in the cache and wanted to know more about geocaching. It was pretty cool :D

One of the first caches I found is in a large historic cemetery. In the cache was a nicely written letter by a group of cemetery employees who wrote something along the lines of, "We found your treasure box! Looks like fun!" They left a t-shirt with the cemetery logo on it.

I've seen several log books signed by muggles who stumbled upon a cache while hiking or hunting. Most of them were enthusiastic about finding this hidden thing, though they usually had no idea what it was.

I did once discreetly remove some cigarettes and shotgun shells, along with a couple of log book pages containing unacceptable language, from one cache that had been accidently found by a couple of wiseguys out rabbit hunting.

One of the first caches I found is in a large historic cemetery. In the cache was a nicely written letter by a group of cemetery employees who wrote something along the lines of, "We found your treasure box! Looks like fun!" They left a t-shirt with the cemetery logo on it.

I've seen several log books signed by muggles who stumbled upon a cache while hiking or hunting. Most of them were enthusiastic about finding this hidden thing, though they usually had no idea what it was.

I did once discreetly remove some cigarettes and shotgun shells, along with a couple of log book pages containing unacceptable language, from one cache that had been accidently found by a couple of wiseguys out rabbit hunting.

Exactly!! I've seen I'll say 8-10 "nice" muggles who have signed logbooks, including a hunter who took a cache home for a week or two and put it back, and Americorps workers who signed the log of my very first placement.

But on the other hand, I've seen about half as many nasty logs from muggles who left the cache in place. The most memorable of which called us "a bunch of sissies", and left us a couple of cigarettes. They were those goofy Canadian ones though, so I just left them. :D

I have seen logs of non-cachers in some caches include one my cache. One of best caches i have found was in the cave accessible after ~60m of wading 50cm deep water. In the logbook i have found log of non cacher "Found accidentally, I must explore every hole in the ground!" :D

Yep. My first hide lasted two years. When I archived it to make room for other caches in the area in the log book was this log.

"Pretty cool thing you guys do. Just out here with my friends partying. We didn't have anything else to leave so here you go."

In between the pages of the log was a half burnt, hand rolled, other than tobacco, product. I disposed of it.

They replaced the cache, didn't harm it in any way, and well even if they didn't take anything they did leave something and signed the log. Better than some cachers!

Coolest muggles ever! ;)

It's a shame there is a guideline about not placing food items in a cache, I'm sure the non-cacher finders would have appreciated some Doritos or other snacks.

Coolest muggles ever! ;)

It's a shame there is a guideline about not placing food items in a cache, I'm sure the non-cacher finders would have appreciated some Doritos or other snacks.

:anibad:

I've seen logs many times, almost always polite, often kinder and more fair than many cachers.

My first cache was found by a hunter who left a note.

One I saw was by a person who had come to the woods to pray, and when he was done, he spotted the cache under the log he had been sitting on. That was a neat log to read.

There's a local cache near a lake that is very easy to find, and often found by non-cachers. Some of them are pretty bad (you dare not leave a travelbug or coin in this cache, and I once found a pack of cigarettes in it), but a few have written some pretty hilarious stuff in the logs:

4739f833-59af-4584-874f-71b7c86ed522.jpg

302c6674-f102-438f-9c72-ef0e957fdfad.jpg

095267fe-342d-474b-9b0a-835363235b5d.jpg

HAHA. Good stuff.

A co-worker of mine, an older gentleman, goes and checks a couple caches that are near his farm. I told him about the hobby one day and told him of a couple I found near his farm. They were C&D's, so he went and searched on his own and sure enough found them.

He's a very polite and honest person, so although I felt bad leading a "muggle" to a cache, I knew it would be in good shape. Turns out, this was a good thing. He takes his grand-daughter to visit the cahces from time to time. She's about 4, I believe and likes to go see what's inside. So, one day they went and the cache was destroyed by the State when they mowed the land. (State game lands in PA) Anyway, he took the lock & lock and replaced it with the only thing he had available (large coffee can) and let me know about it. I posted a log to let the cache owner know and everything worked out well.

Other than that story though, I haven't come across any yet that have been signed by non-cachers, but we've only done mostly deep-woods type caches so far.

Had to do a return trip to find a bison tube that had eluded us. It was about a 3 hour round trip, but we love the area, so it was worth it. We were successful the second time. The cache was called "Weir Here" and is at Lake Cowichan, BC. After I had logged my find online, I received a pm - from the operator of the lock at the weir. A non-cacher, who has great fun watching us, and knows by our body language when the prize has been found! I thought it was neat that they had taken the time to set up an account to congratulate us finders! Maybe now they are geocaching themselves??

After I had logged my find online, I received a pm - from the operator of the lock at the weir. A non-cacher, who has great fun watching us, and knows by our body language when the prize has been found! I thought it was neat that they had taken the time to set up an account to congratulate us finders! Maybe now they are geocaching themselves??

Now that's cool! :)

I found a cache the other day on one of those "Welcome to (insert city name here)" that was surrounded by shrubbery.

I read the rather large log book and saw that a couple of years ago some city landscape crew had found it while cleaning up the area and trimming the bushes and signed the log book and replaced the cache as they found it. I thought that was pretty cool of them.