What to do if challenged?

If I am truly "skulking", I will explain what I am doing. Not that I'll show them where the cache is, but I will give them a quick idea of why I'm looking suspicious.

If I'm wandering around a cemetery I may tell the groundskeeper that I'm just looking around. (More than one has said "for the cache?")

If I'm on private property (like Wal-Mart) I will tell any employee exactly what I am doing.

I won't lie to law enforcement.

Tell the truth but IMHO don't show them the hide regardless of what you think of them. Unless of course it's one you own. Don't risk someone else's property.

Was doing a maintenance run a couple days ago and saw a group holding up GPSr's walking near where I had a hide. They were engaged in conversation with someone walking their dog and I drove the ol' Geo-Jeepster up to introduce myself. When I got close I could hear them ask the dog owner if he'd ever heard of a "GEO-CACH-AYE" putting that odd sounding "AYE" at the end of the word, trying somehow to pronounce the "E" in geocachE and making is sound somewhat French. Seems they were looking for their second hide and already trying to explain geocaching to others :D Was pretty cool and amusing, too.

If I am truly "skulking", I will explain what I am doing. Not that I'll show them where the cache is, but I will give them a quick idea of why I'm looking suspicious.

If I'm wandering around a cemetery I may tell the groundskeeper that I'm just looking around. (More than one has said "for the cache?")

If I'm on private property (like Wal-Mart) I will tell any employee exactly what I am doing.

I've taken to carrying around a couple downloadable Guide to Geocaching pamphlets in my backpack, so in the event anyone asks, I give those out. Even handed one to an LEO.

Tell the truth... its funny how good the truth will work. I was approuched by a security guard just last weekend while I searched for a cache outside his fenced area. I told him and he stuck around to help us find it. He enjoyed the whole idea and even helped more finders the same day.

In contrast I was in a residential area a couple years ago. Cache placed on private property under a bushy tree... probably without permission. I grabbed the cache and was standing beside the road when I was muggled by people from a nearby house. I decided to use the "just stopped to make a phone call excuse" holding my gps. Their response was "from the bushes?" at that point I just had to explain myself. Which would have been much less embarassing if I had just told the truth the first time.

I've taken to carrying around a couple downloadable Guide to Geocaching pamphlets in my backpack, so in the event anyone asks, I give those out. Even handed one to an LEO.

I have a laminated Geo-U pamphlet that I carrie. It looks all official and everything. Does a good job. When approched by some kids that looked a little troublesom, I just told them that I was looking form someting that I had dropped.

If the person seems angered by my presence, or otherwise makes me suspect that he might take the cache, I will make something up. Otherwise I'll come clean.

Yes. And if they have a badge then I tell them what I'm doing, show them the cache if they ask, show them the GPS and the cache icon on the screen, and show them paperless data on the Nuvi/PDA.

If they ask me to leave, I'm gone. If it's obvious they don't want the cache there then I'll ask if I can take it, if not- I'll let the CO know.*

*This is the plan, it's never happened. Only one cop has asked me and he was tottally cool about it and let me be, no questions asked.

If the person seems angered by my presence, or otherwise makes me suspect that he might take the cache, I will make something up. Otherwise I'll come clean.

Yes. And if they have a badge then I tell them what I'm doing, show them the cache if they ask, show them the GPS and the cache icon on the screen, and show them paperless data on the Nuvi/PDA.

If they ask me to leave, I'm gone. If it's obvious they don't want the cache there then I'll ask if I can take it, if not- I'll let the CO know.*

*This is the plan, it's never happened. Only one cop has asked me and he was tottally cool about it and let me be, no questions asked.

What he said, only it's not theoretical for me... I am pretty much a cop magnet and get checked out a lot while geocaching!

It's a personal culture thing, I suppose. Some people's first, natural instinctive response to any form of authority is to lie. Some are just the opposite and instinctively tell the truth without even thinking about it, and others are more situational, evaluating each situation before deciding whether to lie or tell the truth.

I suspect that most of us fall into that third group, and thus will handle each geocaching encounter differently.

"GEO-CACH-AYE" putting that odd sounding "AYE" at the end of the word, trying somehow to pronounce the "E" in geocachE and making is sound somewhat French.

I did this too, for about a week or so. I had heard the term cachet (which does have the long E sound at the end) before, but never had seen it spelled. I assumed it was c-a-c-h-e and therefore geocache would also have the long e. Oh well, I learned my something new for the day that day.

When in worry,

or in doubt,

run in circles,

scream and shout.

Works for me! :D

The youngster and I are always saying that when we're challenged, we're doing to adopt the "Karate Kid" pose then start running around like we're maniacs. But we've yet to be confronted. When it does happen, I suspect we'll chicken out and do the grownup thing.

I'm all about the truth. Usually.

Friend of mine and I were caching out of town. We had just started looking around a telephone pole in a vacant parking lot when we were approached by an interesting gentleman who seemingly just finished a conversation with his feet. He asked if we worked with the telephone company. After looking at my buddy, then looking back to the car with my kids inside, I just said "yup."

Been approached a couple other times, but I usually avoid busy places if I can.

What do you usually do if a muggle asks you what you're doing while caching? I know stealth is the key to geocaching, but I know non-cachers might be wondering what some guy is doing skulking around in the bushes, or looking inside electrical boxes and other places.

The few times I've been asked I have just mentioned that I was doing a high-tech treasure hunt. So far its worked well. I have yet to have an encounter with law enforcement, but I would definitely tell them the truth. I did print off some documents from geocaching.com that I carry in my geo-bag so I can at least look semi-official to any LEOs I meet (i.e. I'm not lying to cover up nefarious activity).

Edited by debaere

I just tell the truth.

Unfortunately more than one LEO has accused my of fibbing and tried to grilled me like they where a detective and I was a murder suspect.

I went off on the second one.

Oh yeah officer, I carry around all these trinkets and made up the whole game including the pamphlet I handed you so that I would have a cover story to case some ugly bushes. You have held me up for a half hour repeating myself. Your just doing this because I wearing eyeliner! I'm calling my lawyer now. Picked up the phone put in on speaker and hit speed dial. Then I told him to tell them he was calling on behalf of me. as soon as the receptionist answered, he told me to hang up and go about my business. I said I wouldn't, that I intended on pressing harassment charges and suing and I insisted he tell my lawyer why. By the time I got that last part out he was in his car and in drive.

I wonder if I had only said I was looking for pop bottles if he would have left me alone.

I just tell the truth.

Unfortunately more than one LEO has accused my of fibbing and tried to grilled me like they where a detective and I was a murder suspect.

Oh yeah officer, I carry around all these trinkets and made up the whole game including the pamphlet I handed you so that I would have a cover story to case some ugly bushes. You have held me up for a half hour repeating myself. Your just doing this because I wearing eyeliner! I'm calling my lawyer now. Picked up the phone put in on speaker and hit speed dial. Then I told him to tell them he was calling on behalf of me. as soon as the receptionist answered, he told me to hang up and go about my business. I said I wouldn't, that I intended on pressing harassment charges and suing and I insisted he tell my lawyer why. By the time I got that last part out he was in his car and in drive.

I wonder if I had only said I was looking for pop bottles if he would have left me alone.

Way to keep a low profile... :D

I just tell the truth.

Are you trying to tell me I cant cache, dressed as I wish?

That I have to conform to the physical drollness of society to be treated like the human I obviously am?

That because of how I look, I somehow deserve to be treated poorly when I'm minding my own business doing absolutely nothing wrong?

I just tell the truth.

That I have to conform to the physical drollness of society to be treated like the human I obviously am?

That because of how I look, I somehow deserve to be treated poorly when I'm minding my own business doing absolutely nothing wrong?

Last week we decided to look for a cache that was placed outside a convenience store. When we pulled up, there were FOUR police cars in the parking lot, and several officers were in and out of their cars with fountain drinks and snacks in hand. We brazenly whipped out our GPSr and started looking for the cache. They completely ignored us. I was actually a little surprised.

Last week we decided to look for a cache that was placed outside a convenience store. When we pulled up, there were FOUR police cars in the parking lot, and several officers were in and out of their cars with fountain drinks and snacks in hand. We brazenly whipped out our GPSr and started looking for the cache. They completely ignored us. I was actually a little surprised.

Hows that for keeping a low profile! :D

You can dress however you want but know that those who don't "conform to the drollness of society" will always be questioned.

If you want to be unique, just like all the other unique people who share the same sense of non-fashion, then you are asking for the hassles you get.

I do understand your point but have little sympathy for the plight that you bring upon yourself. It's obvious from your post that part of your "look" is just a proverbial chip on your shoulder.

Keep in mind that this is not a judgment of you but rather an observation of societal realities and perceptions.

You can dress however you want but know that those who don't "conform to the drollness of society" will always be questioned.

If you want to be unique, just like all the other unique people who share the same sense of non-fashion, then you are asking for the hassles you get.

I do understand your point but have little sympathy for the plight that you bring upon yourself. It's obvious from your post that part of your "look" is just a proverbial chip on your shoulder.

Keep in mind that this is not a judgment of you but rather an observation of societal realities and perceptions.

Big difference between being questioned and being harassed. If I was questioned then it would have been the end of it but no, I was told I was lying and the threat of a lawsuit backing him down proves it was harassment.

Go ahead and threaten a cop with legitimate suspicion and see how far it gets ya.

I also wish others would "share the same sense of non-fashion" because even tho I'm technically classified as one of them (you know, the ones you assume I'm a part of) I stick out like a sore thumb amongst them and only visit their common locations when I'm payed to entertain them. It would be nice to see somebody proud of their natural hair color for a change (talking about the blonds and lite browns of the group) or wearing white once in a wile.

You, in the black, will you come up here? NO NO NO not everybody, her!

How long have you had that piercing? 5 years and you haven't learned to ignore it? No, even tho I was just mean to you you still can't come up here. That ES generator will knock you on your ars from 10 feet away because of the piercing you haven't learned to ignore. Aw don't go emo on me! :D

Chip on my shoulder maybe, but not why you believe it's there.

Big difference between being questioned and being harassed. If I was questioned then it would have been the end of it but no, I was told I was lying and the threat of a lawsuit backing him down proves it was harassment.

Go ahead and threaten a cop with legitimate suspicion and see how far it gets ya.

I also wish others would "share the same sense of non-fashion" because even tho I'm technically classified as one of them (you know, the ones you assume I'm a part of) I stick out like a sore thumb amongst them and only visit their common locations when I'm payed to entertain them. It would be nice to see somebody proud of their natural hair color for a change (talking about the blonds and lite browns of the group) or wearing white once in a wile.

How long have you had that piercing? 5 years and you haven't learned to ignore it? No, even tho I was just mean to you you still can't come up here. That ES generator will knock you on your ars from 10 feet away because of the piercing you haven't learned to ignore. Aw don't go emo on me! :D

It's simple, really. If you don't want to be singled out, don't try to stand out.

Whatever the reason for your chip on your shoulder, it probably comes to no surprise that you were/are singled out. You do try/dress to be noticed, don't you?

The bottom line is some of us in the world stand out more than others whether intenionally or not. Talking to police is an inevitable part of this hobby. The attitude that a person presents to an officer can make al the difference in the world as to how the situation turns out. A simple "Sir" here and there can diffuse many harassment situations. Having said that, some cops are just plain jerks.

I'm curious though. Since you spoke out on people judging you based on how you look, did you judge the police officer based on the fact that he was wearing a badge and uniform?

It's simple, really. If you don't want to be singled out, don't try to stand out.

Whatever the reason for your chip on your shoulder, it probably comes to no surprise that you were/are singled out. You do try/dress to be noticed, don't you?

The bottom line is some of us in the world stand out more than others whether intenionally or not. Talking to police is an inevitable part of this hobby. The attitude that a person presents to an officer can make al the difference in the world as to how the situation turns out. A simple "Sir" here and there can diffuse many harassment situations. Having said that, some cops are just plain jerks.

I'm curious though. Since you spoke out on people judging you based on how you look, did you judge the police officer based on the fact that he was wearing a badge and uniform?

Nope! I dress the way I do, because I do. What ever I feel like putting on I put on. A lot of times that's just slacks and a tee shirt. I wont give up the eye liner tho, makes my eyes look smaller, it actually keeps people from noticing them at a distance.

As for attitude presented to a cop, I never call them sir. I address them as officer until they start acting like a jerk, then it is officerrrrrrrr *squint* last name.

As for judging people how they look, I don't care (unless you're Bruce Campbell) who you are, if your a stranger, I'm going to treat you with the respect you deserve (unless you're in my audience) as a person untill you show me that that level needs to be increased or reduced.

I grew up in a racist situation and I don't know a single person that has been in a similar situation come out of it with what I would call indifference. Me, I became a never judge on appearances, somebody with less intelligence for seeing a bigger picture would have become a rampant racist. It aint easy growing up white in an anti-white neighborhood especially when people ignorantly tell you that they can't be racist because racist are whites who hate blacks.

There are many ways to attract attention without trying.

I for example am a 6'3" 300lb one-legged old fart who caches on crutches, and sometimes in a wheelchair. As a result I am different enough in appearance that most everyone looks at me. To add to that for years my cache-mobile was a highly customized fire-engine-red dually Suburban with 6 to 10 ham and other antennas on top, and I now drive a Durango rigged out with 6 big antennas on the roof - no, stealth is not an option for me!

As a result I stand out. If I am out caching at 3 a.m. (I've always preferred night caching) any cop on the beat is going to wonder 'what the hell is that?' and stop to ask what I am up to.

Add to that the fact that I rarely cache alone so it's not unusual for me to be with 3 or 4 other cachers, at night, poking around behind a shopping center.

When you're that unusual looking and attract as much curiosity as I do you learn to adopt a free and open attitude towards folks asking who you are and what you're doing. You know you're going to be checked out, so just go with it.

I am sure that by now I've been checked out by police, where by 'checked out' I mean had them run my Drivers License and car tag, at least 10 times, and had them stop and inquire what I'm doing at least 30 more... so far 4 times in 1 night is my record.

I just explain the game, tell them about the cache I am hunting, often invite them to join the search (several have) and it's never been a problem.

Mostly when you start explaining the game after about 30 seconds their eyes glaze over, you can tell they've lost interest in you, and soon they'll say 'Have a nice night' and be gone.

Part of it is that I am at ease with cops and treat them with due respect while being friendly and open. I don't give them any reason to look beyond my explanation.

The one time a policeman wanted to search my car I let him, and it wasn't until he was looking around inside that I remembered that I had allowed my pistol carry permit to expire, the hand grip of which was in plain sight between my seat and the console. Oops. Time to hold my breath and pray! Fortunately he was just going through the motions and wasn't really paying attention, so he didn't see it. You can bet that I was at the Sheriff's office bright and early the next morning getting that renewed!

It's again a situational thing. If you are doing nothing wrong, just looking for a geocache, there's probably no need to ever lie to a cop.

If on the other hand you are doing something wrong it is the officer's job to get you to confess, and he can lie to you all day long in order to get you to do so... 'Just tell me where you hid your pot, it will go easier on you if I can tell the judge that you were honest with me, in fact I might not even have to arrest you'... um, no, telling the truth in that situation isn't likely to help you at all! :D

Nope! I dress the way I do, because I do. What ever I feel like putting on I put on. A lot of times that's just slacks and a tee shirt. I wont give up the eye liner tho, makes my eyes look smaller, it actually keeps people from noticing them at a distance.

As for attitude presented to a cop, I never call them sir. I address them as officer until they start acting like a jerk, then it is officerrrrrrrr *squint* last name.

As for judging people how they look, I don't care (unless you're Bruce Campbell) who you are, if your a stranger, I'm going to treat you with the respect you deserve (unless you're in my audience) as a person untill you show me that that level needs to be increased or reduced.

I grew up in a racist situation and I don't know a single person that has been in a similar situation come out of it with what I would call indifference. Me, I became a never judge on appearances, somebody with less intelligence for seeing a bigger picture would have become a rampant racist. It aint easy growing up white in an anti-white neighborhood especially when people ignorantly tell you that they can't be racist because racist are whites who hate blacks.

Not all chips on a shoulder are racist but all chips on a shoulder are chips on a shoulder...

Some people will knock them off... don't go looking for that.

(BTW.. Bruce Campbell movies rock)

Edited by brslk

I've found that if you act like you belong there, most people will just ignore you during the week. Something about a safety vest, hard hat, clip board, cell phone and GPS (in the middle of the day) almost makes you invisible, just another miserable John Doe doing his job...

On the weekends though, the three kids running around pretty much drives people away, lol.

It depends on the location and the muggle. Just ask them if they ever watched Forensic Files and walk away or ask them what they were doing on a specific day a week ago. :D

I have a few police officer friends who have a ball doing that kind of thing. They'll roll up on some poor cacher hunting for one of their own hides and give him the treatment. The way some cachers react can be hilarious, especially after the officers reveal themselves as the cache owner.

I've done it several times, come upon a cacher at the site and take an authoritative tone, questioning what they're up to and acting incredulous at whatever they tell you. It can be fun, just don't carry it too far.

It helps to have a sense of humor. B)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I just tell the truth.

You are very clearly one who looks for conflict. Nobody said anything about the way you dress, I was originally referring to your interaction with said officer. In my experience, those who are very touchy have reason to be.

A couple more things: Most cops base their dealings with the public on the attitude of who they're dealing with. Most, not all. Based on how you reacted to all of the posts before this one, I'm willing to bet you started with an F-off attitude. That'll get you nowhere with anyone.

#2: You have your lawyer on speed dial? I don't even have a lawyer. That would lead me to believe that you've had similar problems in the past. One cop gives you a hard time; might be a jerk of a cop. Enough cops give you a hard time that you have your attorney on speed dial; you might want to step back and examine your own actions a bit.

#3: While I may not be quite as ummm.... off the cuff (?) as you are when it comes to appearance, I do sport a few tattoos and piercings, am quite large and regularly let my beard/goatee get at least out of control. Never once have I been harassed beyond what I deserve. It's not about how you look, it's about how you act.

I'm very sorry you took my comments personally, they weren't meant that way. I'm also sorry this thread went so far off topic. And please don't get me wrong, I fully understand that my observations are from a computer screen thousands of miles away. I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again.

Nothing personal, really B)

It wasn't quite "challenged", but I did interact with the police today.

I was heading for a cache near a (permit only) parking lot at a university. A Lifeline helicopter had landed nearby (university hospital across the street) and as I approached the parking lot I was stopped by university police.

He asked me if I planned to park in the lot. Since I had no permit it seemed best to say "no" and leave. But he asked me what I was doing there. Following my "never lie to LEO" policy, I told him "geocaching".

"Oh", he said, "I do that too. There's one right near here. Why don't you go park in the lot and look for it and I'll tell you when you need to get back in your car because the helicopter is getting ready to take off."

Quick find. Left before the helicopter was ready to leave. Honesty is frequently the best policy.

I have a few police officer friends who have a ball doing that kind of thing. They'll roll up on some poor cacher hunting for one of their own hides and give him the treatment. The way some cachers react can be hilarious, especially after the officers reveal themselves as the cache owner.

Makes me wish someone would pull something similar on them.

Have two police officers, in plain clothes, pull up to the cache when they know your friends are nearby. Have them go out and poke around. When your friends approach to hassle them, they identify themselves, said someone called in a suspicious package, and at that moment, one of them spot the cache, and they pretend to call in the bomb squad.

I've thought about getting a clipboard and having the excel sheet I've made up listing caches in the area on it.

That way when I'm poking in a shrub holding a GPS and a clipboard everybody will think it's official business.

Even if that doesn't work as camouflage, it'll make it easier to sign the log.

What do you usually do if a muggle asks you what you're doing while caching? I know stealth is the key to geocaching, but I know non-cachers might be wondering what some guy is doing skulking around in the bushes, or looking inside electrical boxes and other places.

Do not be looking inside electrical boxes. Electricity is dangerous and kills "profesionals" every year let alone geocachers hiding stuff where it doesn't belong.

Do not be looking inside electrical boxes. Electricity is dangerous and kills "profesionals" every year let alone geocachers hiding stuff where it doesn't belong.

WWEEOOOWEEOOOWEEOOO

This is the safety police, come out with you hands in the air. Some professional died doing that.

Disregard my rookie partners order, you my trip and break you neck and statistics show more people die from a trip and fall than they do from what you are attempting. Just stay put, do not move and we will come in and wrap you up in a nice protective foam.

WWEEOOOWEEOOOWEEOOO

This is the safety police, come out with you hands in the air. Some professional died doing that.

Disregard my rookie partners order, you my trip and break you neck and statistics show more people die from a trip and fall than they do from what you are attempting. Just stay put, do not move and we will come in and wrap you up in a nice protective foam.

I can't believe you forgot the bubble wrap, knee pads, and full hockey helmet. Stick to regulations officer, or you'll get written up...

WWEEOOOWEEOOOWEEOOO

I can't believe you forgot the bubble wrap, knee pads, and full hockey helmet. Stick to regulations officer, or you'll get written up...

Sir, lab mice suffocated on bubble wrap proving it's danger sir!

Wile we are on the subject of test animals we should make dimes illegal.

Lab rats have gotten cancer from dimes being shoved up their rear.

Makes me wish someone would pull something similar on them.

Have two police officers, in plain clothes, pull up to the cache when they know your friends are nearby. Have them go out and poke around. When your friends approach to hassle them, they identify themselves, said someone called in a suspicious package, and at that moment, one of them spot the cache, and they pretend to call in the bomb squad.

You may not have spent much time with the police. I have. For ten years as a Case Monitor I worked with kids coming out of a lock-up school system to help them return to their community. Part of that role was to make sure that they were home by curfew, and to round up those who weren't. Many of them live in project housing and neighborhoods where crippled-up aged white men had best not go alone late at night, so I rode with the beat cops. I got to know them pretty well, and to learn a bit about the cop sense of humor. Trust me, they pull much worse stunts on each other than what I described! However, I seriously doubt that any would do something like what you suggest.