Never assume it's gone unless...

Circum

Here is a great case to emphasize the need for proof a marker is gone before assuming it has been destroyed! One of my early searches seemed to be "lost", but, a recent search by Mr. Magoo, with the aid of a metal detector, found the mark burried right where it was supposed to be. Check out KV2917. Congratulations Mr. Magoo!

This also makes a case (excuse) for adding a metal detector to the tool kit. Actually, a rod for probing the ground would have found this one, but, I didn't add that until recently.

These are my favorites...those thought lost that still turn up.

I'm finding benchmark hunting to be a humbling endeavor...quite a few things I thought were one way turn out to be another. But that kind of attitude adjustment is a big plus in my book. I intend my signature line ironically; I find a good dose of self-skepticism keeps me from making a bigger fool of myself than I already am. icon_biggrin.gif

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

So then you find a benchmark that's buried or otherwise obstructed. What's next? Is it a good practice to uncover it, cut the brush from around it and make it easier to find?

I do more geocaching than benchmark hunting so I'm still in the frame of mind to hide things.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

The answer to that question really depends entirely upon the specific circumstances. In some cases, where construction is going on, or is anticipated in the area, it may be a good idea to call attention to the marker to avoid its being knocked out accidentally. In other cases, where a marker has survived for many years in quiet obscurity, it may well be best not to call any attention to it, since it may become an object of local curiosity and a target for vandals. Generally, I would recommend the policy of leaving it just as it was.

Indeed, the metal detector is something i keep int hte back of the car. Some of the markers in my area seem to be just covered over a bit and the metal detector makes it a snap to find the right spot (esp. when reference items arent there anymore) usually the GPS and descriptions are plenty but every once in a while ....

"Problems are merely opportunities for interesting solutions which can be implemented by those with the courage to be different."