What GPS to buy?

Like one of the last people who posted, I am looking for a GPS unit as I am a newbie to the whole geocaching world. My kids are hooked and we have been just using the app on my Palm Pre, but I don't always get service and the compass therefore won't work. I need a GPS with driving directions (my cell gps doesn't allow cords) and it needs to be able to be used in the field too. I also hate to spend much over $250 and not sure what has all the features I need. With my palm app i don't really worry about going paperless since the app can pull up all the cache info. It doesn't give me maps of where the caches are though. Any sugestions would be great. I have looked at ETrex, CSX, colorado, oregon, etc. But either some are too expensive or don't have both field and driving directions. Thanks for any help you can give.

It's going to be hard to get decent driving directions in a handheld at that price. Some options:

1. DeLorme PN-40 - paperless caching and driving directions, though the latter isn't as good as those found on most auto units.

2. Venture HC + a cheap nuvi - but you won't get paperless caching.

3. Spend a little more on the Dakota 10 hike & bike bundle (comes with City Navigator maps); you'd still need a car mount and power cord though.

4. nuvi 500 - not the best unit in the world for caching, but it will get the job done. I wasn't impressed with the compass when I tested this unit, but reports are that it has improved.

There are thousands of caches within a 15 mi radius of my home. So I won't be out in the woods most likely. I am looking at going the two unit route. Get a nuvi for the car later and now get a handheld. i am looking at the ETrex gps's but not sure what to get maybe the Vista from amazon or walmart for around $200. But also like the 60csx but didn't want to spend quite that much. much is your opinions?

I think you mentioned you want driving directions. Garmin handheld units do no come with mapping software; so you'd have to keep in mind the $80 or so the maps cost. I would recommend the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx. To the base price add about $110 for the mapping software; DC car power cord; dash mount; and GPS cover. You shouldn't need a data cable as they use the ubiquitous mini USB cable that most digital cameras and other electronic devices use, not the micro USB cable that newer phones are starting to use.

I think you mentioned you want driving directions. Garmin handheld units do no come with mapping software; so you'd have to keep in mind the $80 or so the maps cost. I would recommend the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx. To the base price add about $110 for the mapping software; DC car power cord; dash mount; and GPS cover. You shouldn't need a data cable as they use the ubiquitous mini USB cable that most digital cameras and other electronic devices use, not the micro USB cable that newer phones are starting to use.

Thanks for the info. Online it makes the Vist Hcx seem like it comes with the software, so maybe I should look at a cheap nuvi or something for the car and a handhead to get to the GZ. Do you think a lesser Etrex would do the job or should I really go with one that is an H. The legend and the vista are very different in price. Is it worth it to spend more for the Vista over the Legend. What do you know about the Summitt?

In April, Magellan is introducing the eXploreist GC. It is billed as the first GPS unit dedicated to geocaching. The cost is listed at $199. Here are my opinions so far.

Positives

-paperless caching on the GPSr, including pictures

-accepts GPX files

-holds 10,000 caches

-includes base road maps

-AA batteries

-low price

Negatives

-no built in compass

-no memory storage cards

-no routing on maps

-no POI's, points of interest

-no current ability to update maps

This looks like it will be a great beginning unit for the price. It is not feature rich like the Garmin Colorado and Oregon series but then again it is less than half the price. I will be interested to see how this new GPSr is received but for the price it looks great.