My first multi-cache proposal - advice needed

Hi all

I am considering placing my first multi-cache and have got a very good possibility lined up, but, as far as I know, it isn't somewhere that permission can be requested as it is on a stretch of road that leads into a woodland area, it is a public road and the places I am considering are not owned by anyone, it is disused factories and such like, I shall post the coords and if people can check them out and give any advice, it would be welcomed, thanks.

These are rough co-ords and are likely to be altered in some small way so as to help with keeping the puzzle element and to take into considerations such as suitable hide locations.

Co-ords are as follows :-

First Cache

N53 25.103 W001 30.341

Second Cache

N53 25.237 W001 30.434

Third Cache

N53 25.306 W001 30.804

Fourth Cache

N53 25.377 W001 31.202

Fifth Cache

N53 25.549 W001 31.438

Sixth Cache

N53 25.722 W001 31.658

Seventh Cache

N53 26.037 W001 32.017

Final Cache

N53 26.159 W001 32.265

This would take people along a woodland path via waterfalls and some very attractive scenery starting at Middlewood in Sheffield and ending at Oughtibridge.

If anyone sees possible problems, let me know.

1. The best way to have a reviewer check your coordinates (especially this many) is to prepare a cache page in "draft" form, with the locations input as Additional Waypoints. Otherwise the reviewer needs to input all those coordinates manually.

2. I know next to nothing about land manager rules and permission practices in Sheffield. The best ways to solicit help from your local reviewers are to submit a draft cache page, write an email or post in the United Kingdom and Ireland forum. I am moving your thread there, so that the local experts can help you.

3. I'm afraid you may have just "spoiled" your multicache by posting all these details!

I'm not a reviewer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once... :anibad:

It looks like a neat multi. When I first read your post, I got the (mistaken) impression that the stages would be at the old factories. That could've presented problems. A bit of poking about in Google Earth set me straight. My only concern is going from stage 4 to stage 5. It looks like I'd take Beeley Wood Ln to the end, which appears to end in a factory parking lot. I don't know that I'd be comfortable walking across a factory property, even if is was closed.

Have you written Deceangi? Looks like that's the local reviewer.

Good luck! :smile:

1. The best way to have a reviewer check your coordinates (especially this many) is to prepare a cache page in "draft" form, with the locations input as Additional Waypoints. Otherwise the reviewer needs to input all those coordinates manually.

2. I know next to nothing about land manager rules and permission practices in Sheffield. The best ways to solicit help from your local reviewers are to submit a draft cache page, write an email or post in the United Kingdom and Ireland forum. I am moving your thread there, so that the local experts can help you.

3. I'm afraid you may have just "spoiled" your multicache by posting all these details!

I'm not a reviewer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once... :anibad:

It looks like a neat multi. When I first read your post, I got the (mistaken) impression that the stages would be at the old factories. That could've presented problems. A bit of poking about in Google Earth set me straight. My only concern is going from stage 4 to stage 5. It looks like I'd take Beeley Wood Ln to the end, which appears to end in a factory parking lot. I don't know that I'd be comfortable walking across a factory property, even if is was closed.

Have you written Deceangi? Looks like that's the local reviewer.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for the speedy reply guys.

Firstly, to keystone.....

I am not sure how to prepare a cache page in draft form, I would assume that I go to the form page and fill it in and it allows me to save it as a "draft", I shall check that out and see.

As regards spoiling the multicache, as I have stated, those are not the final coords, it is a proposed list, and they are in no way the final locations, but, needed to list a rough listing to show the locations where I was thinking of.

Riffster, thank you for your suggestions, I shall see if Deceangi is available.

The stage 4 - 5 caches are okay as there is a path that goes around the factory, so, I am sure that there wouldn't be any walking through factories, I used to live close by this location and have walked this path a fair few times.

Right, thanks again so far, if any further comments can be given, they shall be greatly appreciated.

My first question is is it a multi or several independent caches. You say, first, second, etc which makes me think they are indifidual cachea. A multi that long will turn a lot of people off. Eight locations for one smiley is more than most people will do.

To do a "draft" page go to the page where you submit your caches with the exact information and I guess you have to click the is Active box or no reviewer will see it but put a note in the note to reviewer box with any questions.

My intention was doing a multi cache along the lines of the one at dadgum Flask - GC1Z1GH

This specific multi seems popular and consists of a total of 14 caches around a dadgum, this is a multi cache but the other caches after the first are marked out as gps coordinates, you need to solve a clue to get to the first cache though.

I was considering something similar with coordinates being placed in each log book and the cacher has to locate each one to get the next part of the cordinate, the walk is not too long and wouldn't take too long and there is a bus service that can bring someone back to the starting area.

It might be eight locations, it might be less, the point of the coords was to show the reviewer the proposed route to ensure that it didn't encroach on any private property or flag up any issues, which, thankfully, it doesn't seem to have done.

Edited:

I have however, just seen a forum post about the length of multi caches and it seems that a lot of people are put off by a large number of multi cache locations, but, prefer traditional caches, which might be the better option, with the possibility of the final cache locations being cut down into individual numbers and placed in the back of each previous log book.

Edited by Kry102001

I've seen this advice before and I've always liked it - place the kind of cache you would like to find :anibad:

Yes a traditional will probably get more visitors but a really well planned multi will get more interesting logs. I like both and have a 13 stage multi that gets loads of visitors and many good comments.

PS. the forum conversion d*m --> dadgum is very funny in this post ;)

After a lot of deliberation and thinking, I have come to the conclusion to create a series of traditionals with a small puzzle element to them, so, that to find the final cache, you have to retrieve the coords from the other log books, this should encourage people to find all of the caches, but, people can still do the existing caches and come back to the ones they miss, hopefully this shouldn't alienate people and should be fun for everyone.

The final cache would more than likely be a larger cache so that there is a good sense of achievement, I myself love to find the larger caches, so, this might encourage people to search for the final location.

After a lot of deliberation and thinking, I have come to the conclusion to create a series of traditionals with a small puzzle element to them, so, that to find the final cache, you have to retrieve the coords from the other log books, this should encourage people to find all of the caches, but, people can still do the existing caches and come back to the ones they miss, hopefully this shouldn't alienate people and should be fun for everyone.

Personally, that appeals to me. As a noob I'm a little wary of multis ... I'd hate to DNF one element after finding some and have nothing to show for what I've found if that makes sense. A bonus cache awarded on finding the others - well that sounds ideal.

My first question is is it a multi or several independent caches. You say, first, second, etc which makes me think they are indifidual cachea. A multi that long will turn a lot of people off. Eight locations for one smiley is more than most people will do.

To do a "draft" page go to the page where you submit your caches with the exact information and I guess you have to click the is Active box or no reviewer will see it but put a note in the note to reviewer box with any questions.

You have to know the area - people in Yorkshire don't get put off that easily. Anyone living in Sheffield who enjoys walking probably has more stamina than most! ;) (My family are from Yorkshire.)

Personally, that appeals to me. As a noob I'm a little wary of multis ... I'd hate to DNF one element after finding some and have nothing to show for what I've found if that makes sense. A bonus cache awarded on finding the others - well that sounds ideal.

But what about the sense of satisfaction when you do complete all parts? To me one good multi can be more memorable than a host of cache n dashes. Saying that I like trads too ;)

Edited by dinö

But what about the sense of satisfaction when you do complete all parts? To me one good multi can be more memorable than a host of cache n dashes. Saying that I like trads too :anibad:

Airdefenderuk - both cache types have a chance of going missing, be it a stage or a box with a clue thats needed. Don't be afraid of the multi's ;)

I have decided that my last idea is the best option, a series of traditional caches with a bigger final cache with some nice swag in it, that way, people shouldn't be put off.

Traditionals are good in the sense you get a lot of smileys for the same effort but a good multi can be equally good.

I recently completed a new multi set in and around Bushy Park - all in it took in about 3 miles of walking and cycling (parts were in an area where cycling was forbidden, so I walked beside the bike) and had a total of (I think) 10 stages plus the final cache. Normally an 11-stage cache would put me off but I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

For myself I'd be inclined to make a multicache based on a succession of virtuals leading to a final physical cache - if you're using film pots or whatever it does seem like a great shame if you get to stage 8 only to find the pot is nowhere to be seen. If you're counting steps on a bridge or using the number on a lamp post you're much less likely to find a stage gets muggled!

For myself I'd be inclined to make a multicache based on a succession if virtuals leading to a final physical cache - if you're using film pots or whatever it does seem like a great shame if you get to stage 8 only to find the pot is nowhere to be seen. If you're counting steps on a bridge or using the number on a lamp post you're much less likely to find a stage gets muggled!

Yes. If there are numbers that can be used into the equation -especially from information signs on the route- it does make it a more interesting multi. (And avoids film pots going missing, thus no clues to find the final)

It's not too likely that the caches I place will get muggled as I tend to make sure that I hide them well enough so that only a cacher would be able to spot them, plus, the proposed stretch of path I am doing this is not in receipt of high traffic, so, not much risk from that, the beauty is also I can get to this stretch of path easily enough to maintain it on a regular basis.