Magellan Insiders Program Reintroduction of the eXplorist LINE.

The speculations and comparisons of the new eXplorist to geomates and Lawrence is counterproductive. Rather than argue about what we don't know I thought we should talk about what we do.

We only received a spec list with the eXplorist. There was no info dismissing the use of additional maps.

With 2 gigs of flash memory and 500megs dedicated to user data I doubt that it doesn't support additional maps. You really can't fill 500megs with GPX data.

There's supposed to be twenty of us in the Insiders Program. I would like to see input from everyone that has had hands on with the new eXplorist.

This is not a basic unit. I think it is the best eXplorist introduced. The correspondence I have suggests this is not the only device being released soon.

Please keep this thread about the eXplorist and the experiences of the Insiders. If you want to speculate and compare it to other devices please use the other new Magellan thread.

Shure we compare it with other devices.

"We" are customers who need to decide wich one to buy this year.

People don't went into shops and ask only for Magellan.

But if they do so, mostly because they wanted to use their maps from older devices of the same brand.

And if you need more than 1GB flash memory, it's cheaper to build in 2GB chips.

If you count pictures for 10.000 geocaches together, you need some space too.

By the way, the same development agency that adds code to the Endura, did this for the eXplorist also. It is 3rd party knowledge on both sides.

I just saw this disclaimer on a cache "A warning to Oregon/Dakota/Colorado users - This cache description exceeds the 8192 character limit on the paperless caching feature. You will either need to print off the cache page, or have access to it through other means." I downloaded the GPX file opened it up and found that I had the full information nothing was cut or lost so no need for Magellan users of this unit to print a page off.

I have been using the unit for geocaching and have found it handy. I have provided feedback to Magellan on a few things. As a base unit this is good. Nice to see Magellan get back in to the market.

Does the unit have the ability to car navigate turn-by-turn? "Beeping" at upcoming turns would be acceptable, but for extra brownie points is there a chance it'll talk you thru the turn??

I realize "car navigation" isn't a pure requirement for Geocaching, but it does make things much easier to use ONE device rather than rely on a 2nd device for the road work

I also am part of the Insider's Program and have been playing with and testing the unit for several days now. I have had friends of various levels of technical capabilities have a go with it to get their impressions to add to my own. I sent an initial impression report in and am now compiling the goods and bads I have discovered to this point to submit to Magellan.

As it was developed for Geocaching it provides features a cacher would want, projecting a waypoint, different caching icons, paperless caching. I'm finding more every time I turn it on. The sorting and filtering works like a charm as you can select about any combination of cache types and sizes you can imagine.

On a personal note, I've tried to navigate and cache with 1 gps and hated it. This model has the streets down to small streets in small towns, so great for when you are walking around a town you maybe unfamililar with caching.

We will keep looking at it and answering questions but know we don't know everything Magellan may have in mind.

Does the unit have the ability to car navigate turn-by-turn? "Beeping" at upcoming turns would be acceptable, but for extra brownie points is there a chance it'll talk you thru the turn??

I realize "car navigation" isn't a pure requirement for Geocaching, but it does make things much easier to use ONE device rather than rely on a 2nd device for the road work

No. During navigation a little backpacked hiker is displayed in the tool bar at the top. I doubt it will accept Directroute. In the second post a good argument about user memory was made, it may not accept any additional maps. Although the basemap is very good. It may have a gig or more dedicated to the basemap. Just guessing though.

They have been calling it an outdoor GPSr. It's not an all-in-wonder device. Which most of us don't need. Since we already have multiple devices. I use my Droid in the car.

Why using coordinates from strangers?

Mark a Waypoint, mark the spot on the ground, switch the unit off, get back later and look how close you can get navigating to the same waypoint again.

You should reach the marked spot within 1-3 meters range like near every modern unit can do.

I am part of the Magellan Insiders program and I am working with the unit now. I am working through the features to see how this would work for me as a geocacher.

Me, too. So far I like what I see but I need to use it longer to give it a proper review.

On a personal note, I've tried to navigate and cache with 1 gps and hated it.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here.

--Marky

I think it's about settling on one all-in-one device. Many of us have several devices that fill out our caching gear. in-car, out of car, in the wilderness and on our phones.

On a personal note, I've tried to navigate and cache with 1 gps and hated it.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here.

--Marky

Ha, prime example of doing 2 things at once, wasn't very well expressed was it. I personally hated putting the gps in turn by turn to get to the parking lot then changes to off road navigation once I got there, then switching back again. over and over and over. I like leaving my car unit in the car and it doing the turn by turn and my hand held in off road mode. Of course I realize and appreciate I am in a place in my life I can choose to spend the extra money to not have the inconvience of switching back and forth. So for me it is not an issue if the new GPS does or not do turn by turn as I wouldn't use it. Might be a deal breaker for someone else though.

Back to defending the nation, more later.

I have found over 40 caches with it now and have been O-3m at most GZs even in cedars which are good at through units off. This is within normal range. I have not had a DNF geocaching with it...yet. To have street level maps and paperless cache at this price range is a good.

Speculative Strike From Grumpy Moderator:

This conversation is OK, though I've never seen such open discussion from users that were presumably under NDA by a publicly held company until product launch. I think a thread to discuss the new product and the new program is lovely and that a manufacturer actually talking to people that use the product before shipping it is groovy.

Please don't start answering every question about every competing brand or model in the forums "Well, if it were an eXplorist Pro 3000 ..." and continuing on into a thinly veiled advertisement. There have been recent FTC rules about positively promoting a product on a forum that we have to be aware of. I won't drone on about it and I won't pick at old forum wounds. Just please be careful to not let enthusiasm turn into commercials.

I too have been playing with one of these units as part of the Insiders Program for a week or so (found 10 caches with it) and have been happy so far.

As others have said, there are a lot of likes and a few things that could be tweaked but so far I'm liking the form factor, general interface, ease of loading caches, ability to sort and mark caches as found, unfound, etc. (like other units have had for a while I suppose).

I've found about 2,000 caches with my SporTrak Pro and have been looking for what I'd buy when it inevitably breaks - this is a nice intermediate unit IMO so far.

I'm anxious to see what else they do with it as well as go on a long hike with it as what I've found with it so far have been either PNGs or short (under 1/4 hikes). Its been tested under the redwoods out here and held reception without an issue - no small feat.

All in all - impressed so far and looking for some enhancements to come.

Hello

I'm also in the insiders programm. I'm using it now for nearly two weeks and I'm find it a nice GPSr. But after founding 10 caches with it , I had a problem with the 11th.

There you need to make a projection from a specific waypoint. That is not possible now. Magellan works on this and try's to get it in to the next software release.

Also I'm missing the dutch grid format. But that's a local problem. I haven't got an answer if that will be solved. It should be a pity because it limits the caches we as dutch cachers can do.

Mine overall impression is quit positive. When you consider that they position it for the novice and the starting cacher it is a very good GPSr.

Dutch cacher

Hey how soon do you think someone would be able to post up a link to the new units owners manual?? ;)

After experience with other GPS & manuals, I do not want to have a printed manual which is not longer up to date after the next firmware release.

I recomend to the manufacturers (Magellan?) to have a up to date manual online on the website.

I received the test device without manual and I could use it. Perhaps the filesystem (appart from the directory "Geocaching") needs some explanation.

But if you play arround a little with the new Magellan, you will be familiar with it soon.

Edited by bonstetten

Saw where you could project a waypoint but didn't try it out, think it was from the menu from the map screen, but I could be wrong with that.

I have several files loaded in it and they all show up, so it would be easy to drag and drop each PQ as received. No need to create 1 file for everything you want on your GPS. Only instruction needed there would be what file to drop it in (pretty obvious though it is the Geocache file). After loading a large .gpx file it does take a few minutes to process upon first powering up. After that there is no extra wait time. You need do nothing special to have the geocaching icon displayed for the caches.

I like that you can search by name, GC#, or nearest so no matter what you prefer that is available.

After a bit of difficulty involving exporting GPX files from GSAK, I was pointed in the right direction for how to get the output into the unit correctly. I also learned there is a special Waypoint folder on the device to put those in and I will be trying that for the sake of trying it. I can see more intermediate /advanced work going into that effort.

Since I keep puzzle solutions in GSAK, I can't just drop the PQ's direct from Groundspeak in the unit. By loading them into GSAK, the corrected coordinates will be exported to the unit and no intervention is needed unless I messed up the puzzle.

I put 9800 geocaches in the unit just to say I did. It took over 10 minutes to power up the unit to where I could use it, but it seemed to work. In real life, I should not be doing this very often. 2-3k is about my typical load for the area.

The more I play with this thing, the more useful it is becomes.

Ouch. Early Garmins that followed this model also had unacceptably slow boot times when ingesting large PQs. It's not a deal-breaker, but it sure did make it painful to experiment, esp. when copuled with the need to reboot the device to change the working data set. (Does the new model share this requirement with the Nuvi/CO/OR/Dakota products, or is it more like the older Explorists where you can copy files to the device while it's running as long as you manually tickle the device to force a reload?)

Hopefully that boot time will get some attention by the developers. Ten minutes is too many.

Waypoint projection is under tools, waypoint projection. click on the waypoint projection button enter bearing in degrees then distance in miles, feet, meters, or yards. Click the next button and it will give you the new coordinates. Click on the New Waypoint button to save and name. you can even add a description field if you so desire.

Hello

I'm also in the insiders programm. I'm using it now for nearly two weeks and I'm find it a nice GPSr. But after founding 10 caches with it , I had a problem with the 11th.

There you need to make a projection from a specific waypoint. That is not possible now. Magellan works on this and try's to get it in to the next software release.

Dutch cacher

Waypoint projection is under tools, waypoint projection. click on the waypoint projection button enter bearing in degrees then distance in miles, feet, meters, or yards. Click the next button and it will give you the new coordinates. Click on the New Waypoint button to save and name. you can even add a description field if you so desire.

I think what Dutch cacher was trying to do was project a waypoint from a set of given coords, not from your current position - which I don't think you can do. Outside of a random puzzle I can't think of why this would be needed (not to discount his opinion) so I don't see this as a big deal.

Still playing and liking what I see. Hoping to do a 5-cache hike this weekend and play with saving the trip/route to import into VP/EveryTrail, etc.

I am in the camp if needing the ability to do a projection from a given point other then where I am. Why should I stand around and not be able to do what those with other units can? (projections are used often around here) But hear it is being worked on.

did some testing (cause I got curious after moose mobs post):

9093 caches and it powered on in 2mins 32 secs on initial power up next one took 40 secs

3644 caches and it took 24 sec

Appears another brand has a cache page character count of about 8192 before the cut the listing off, I was able to get a cache page with about 4x that with out being cut off...then again how often is a cache page THAT long?

Then I took off all those caches put in 2339 caches I want for the moment and it took 2mins 40s...I guess if you have nothing load 10,000 all at once the first power on will take a long time, but if you add them over time the start ups are less as there is stuff on the unit already.

Will test that theory tomorrow.

***of course those long winded cache pages always have the most valuable info to solve the puzzle at the very end too ;)

I need help entering the coordinates, I have to be doing it wrong because I even enter my house coordinates and it's wrong, can you give me instructions?

never mind, I found out what I was doing wrong.

Well let me know, that's what I'm trying to find out now.

I was hoping I would just be able to download them directly into the unit.

Thanks,

Eric K

I need help entering the coordinates, I have to be doing it wrong because I even enter my house coordinates and it's wrong, can you give me instructions?

never mind, I found out what I was doing wrong.

Well let me know, that's what I'm trying to find out now.

I was hoping I would just be able to download them directly into the unit.

Thanks,

Eric K

Found out to get them in via gpx files. I'm just so used to using the Garmin Installer program. Now if the weather holds up tomorrow I'll go out and give it a try.

Well went out and did two caches today. Was kind of strange holding my Garmin and magellan at the same time.

Anyway, it's taking me a little 'getting used to' a different format as I've been using my Garmin for years.

Of the two caches I did feet away on GPS from actual cache location.

Cache 1:

Garmin 34 feet

Magellan 26 feet (I would say the co-ords were off for tha actual cache for both to be so far off)

Cache 2:

Garmin: 14 feet

Magellan: 3 feet

Only a small sample but the Magellan was closer on the two caches.

Features I don't like so far:

1. Since this is made for Geocaching specifically an app that sends directly to GPS from the geocaching site like for the Delorme and Garmin would be nice. NOTE: I know you can send to the Magellan by saving the .gpx file. I'm just stating the "Send to GPS" feature for the Garmin from the geocaching website is a nice feature. I'm also trying to look at this as a unit for a new user.

2. I don't like how when the unit is hooked up via USB you can't change the screen when sending a file like on the Garmin.

3. While the unit was more accurate outside while loading the GPS from two different locations (1. home, 2. starbucks) the Garmin picked up the satellites indoors while they Magellan didn't.

Hopefully I'll get out this weekend and kick the tires some more.

I took it out for a 10-mile, 14-cache hike under redwood canopy today - a test of ANY GPS!

This unit held lock 99% of the time - only losing it when next to a slope under the canopy and on the bad side of a ridge - I challenge any GPS to hold in that situation.

I love the paperless caching and not having to pull out my Palm for details - yeah, I know most other GPSs have this now but I've held out on buying a new one because my old one was working fine.

I was able to come home and grab the tracks.gpx file and open it in ExpertGPS to see my tracks, vertical profile, etc. What I couldn't figure out was how to start/end a track/route. When I thought I hit "stop and save trip" it stopped tracking. BUT, I don't know where to START a new trip/track. I did it at the trailhead after driving about 30 minutes to get there and my track has all the data/points from the drive to the trailhead. I'm guessing that the manual or a little more playing will help me figure this out, though.

I think I would like the interface to change a little in the sense that once I mark a cache as "FOUND" I'd like to quickly pull up the list of nearby caches without having to go back to the main menu and then to GEOCACHES. This is a minor gripe as it's:

1) Not an ordeal to do

2) Maybe do-able and I just don't know how yet

3) Possible to change with feedback

All in all, a great day of caching, EXCELLENT reception and usability.

Positive feedback here on this test/trip.

Edit to add: It would also be nice if you could increase the size of the text on the cache pages. It's easy to read while sitting, but I found it harder to read while walking. I'd like to be able to zoom in on the text to make it easier to read while hiking/moving.

Edited by Kealia

Haven't been able to do any hard core caching as of yet. Did drive 120 miles with the unit powered off then turned on to see how fast it locking in on the satellites, and was happy with the results. The one problem is my old eyes and it's small font, ended up with my eyes crossed and a headache after playing around the neighborhood with it. Will be interested in reading through the manual and giving it a real try out.

It doesn't have electronic compass or barometer.

The older eXplorist 600 had both of it.

But this new one is a geocaching-only gpsr, the older eXplorist can do more tasks.

This entry-level model is a price-breaker.

Later this year, another new one from a higher class will be more of what you want to buy for your own.

The now released unit is one to buy for your kids.

Edited by cterres

On Saturday, I plugged the eXplorist GC into my cell phone charger and headed to the other side of town. It gave me an award for traveling 5 miles, then another one when I hit 25 miles. Cute, but I think I will look for a way to turn the notification.

Good feel, light weight, found 20 caches with it in my hand. I gave up on finding a way to quickly move from map mode to arrow mode. It's probably there, but the folks I was with kept finding the cache by the time I was able to switch screens or it was obvious where these caches were (we have several series of caches where the hides are identical).

I am spoiled by my touch screen. I have to remind myself this is a $200 unit, not a $600 unit. It does a pretty darned good job for the price range.

It doesn't have electronic compass or barometer.

The older eXplorist 600 had both of it.

But this new one is a geocaching-only gpsr, the older eXplorist can do more tasks.

This entry-level model is a price-breaker.

Later this year, another new one from a higher class will be more of what you want to buy for your own.

The now released unit is one to buy for your kids.

That $199 retail price tag would have to be heavily discounted for me to consider this an entry level unit to buy for the kids.