Northwest Indiana Cachers

Just4today

All I can say is: good luck. Some of us "regular" NW Indiana event hosting cachers have tried to form a group, and the people in this area just don't seem too interested. It's just as difficult to get them to attend events in the area. I would suggest you just attend some local events, and meet people that way. I've made some of my closest friends that way, and it's a great way to meet people to go on cache runs with.

:):D:D:):):D

New to GeoCashing and looking to start a club in Northwest Indiana I am hooked! The chicago clue seems far for me and my daughter to travel! Any takers or suggestions! Just4Today

Just saw your post: Hubby and I started caching last year, we would definitely be interested in a group/club in NWI as we agree the Chicago venues are too far to travel.

I would be very interested in forming a group.

We are looking at some of the events local to us (Plymouth, South Bend) and planning on attending those.

We just started a little over a week ago, but the entire family is addicted and are now planning our weekends around where we want to go to cache next.

To meet some fellow locals would be great.

:rolleyes::ph34r::):ph34r:;):)

New to GeoCashing and looking to start a club in Northwest Indiana I am hooked! The chicago clue seems far for me and my daughter to travel! Any takers or suggestions! Just4Today

I would be interested, I've also met other cachers at events which has been very fun. It would be nice to have a group closer to home though.

Hello and welcome - I live in NW Indiana and, while there are quite a few cachers here, the majority either freelance or belong to GONIL - which is North Eastern Illinois - they will let you join and many events are very close.

However, I would be interested in an informal group here in NWI - I cache a lot solo and enjoy meeting others who enjoy the hobby so we can join up occasionally - it can be lots of fun.......I have a page on geocaching.com - blevdeb - so connect as friend and maybe we can meet and cache one weekend. :D

Nice to see some local, familiar names in the forums for once. :anibad:

BigD51 and I have talked a couple of times about creating a club for our neck of the woods, but it never got off the ground. We have never had a problem with events tho. BigD51's Race for the Cache event brought a lot of cachers together in the area. Race for the Cache 2 coming later this year should be announced soon. Keep an eye out for it.

See you on the trails. B)

hmart316

P.S.

Any NWI'ers like myself planning on going to Salz's events in Calumet City this weekend?

About 3 years ago, or so, we started NWI C.W.O.B. (cachers without borders) and even hosted a few events. Everyone that attended was from out of the area...Chicago...etc. We even had a ton of people travel over from the Fort Wayne area. We created a yahoo group for everyone to communicate on, but, nobody would. The locals that showed up walked up at the very end of the event, signed the log, and left. It was still a great event, and we had a lot of fun. We REALLY wanted to keep the group going, if for nothing else but representation at events, and a comfortable group for people to hang out with at events. Sadly, we just didn't have the local support.

If you attend events locally, you will be surprised at the lack of local attendance. We never really could figure out why that was. Great support from Illinois and Northeast Indiana...in the over 3 years I have been here, it hasn't changed.

edited to add: I would like to add that we did have a FEW local cachers come out and support us at our events that we held as part of C.W.O.B., and we appreciated that.

Edited by The Herd

There's been a lot of 'talk' about wanting to be active in local events, but yet there was a CITO event at the National Park over the weekend and hardly any one showed up (The Herd, 501, Shay's Crew & Superstutz).

This shows the kind of actual support this area has for caching and why we (The Herd & I) say good luck.

There's been a lot of 'talk' about wanting to be active in local events, but yet there was a CITO event at the National Park over the weekend and hardly any one showed up (The Herd, 501, Shay's Crew & Superstutz).

This shows the kind of actual support this area has for caching and why we (The Herd & I) say good luck.

I would have loved to have been there but from April-First week of July my weekends & week days are filled with Little League since we run the org. so don't count us all out... so quickly. :)

Edited by vonjoekasey

I was thinking about trying to start a group as well (I'm in Elkhart). I've been on Twitter trying to find people, but there aren't many on there from our area. I'd love to come to some of the events if they're close enough. I really want to meet some more cachers and try to promote it more in our area.

Edited by meflowers331

Hello everyone! I'm looking for a caching partner for the Fort Wayne area. I live southwest in Aboite and would like to find someone that would like to go caching any time of day. I don't have a 9-5 as of yet, so I'm trying to take advantage of the weather and extra time. I'm pretty new to geocaching, but open to doing harder caches with someone seasoned.

Thanks for looking!

Like was stated last year, there already is a "group" started. It's more of a matter of getting people to meet up, attend events, communicate, etc. We started the event, as stated, to give people a chance to get together, a "group to feel comfortable with" at events, among other reasons. I would be more than willing to continue to keep the group page going, if there is a strong enough interest, but the several times we have tried, there just hasn't been the interest. Unfortunately, in Porter County, a lot of the areas that we would have an event at cost money to reserve. The last one was $80, and when we tried to work with the park to perform a CITO in exchange for the shelter cost, nobody showed up to attend the CITO. Without the local attendance and people willing to help offset the costs, it's impossible to keep up. As it was, 501 and I were eating all the costs for the events. I still host the big one in September at Indiana Dunes State Park, and as always, EVERYONE is welcome to attend. Hopefully we get some new faces this year, and it might be a great place to meet up and discuss what you would like to see from a local "group".

My family and I got turned on to Geocaching @ the race for the cache event in portage. I have spent more time off the couch and actively invovlved with my kids in our weekend cache runs since then. I wish I would have found out about this great sport sooner. We are planning to attend the state park event and meet with all of you there. Perhaps we can exchange info. And maybe arrange a few get togethers, where more of the newer cachers can get to know you veterans. I think thats really what people are wanting. A club would be nice but not necessary, if the new cachers can have someone experienced to talk to it would help grow the sport in our area. I know of atleast 3 other people that have been introduced to geocaching in the past week. (get the kids hooked (evil laugh) and then have them drag there parents along.) I had fun at the race event but, I also noticed that the event was very clicky. while I understand that some of you have been doing this awhile and have friends that you like to cache with. New cachers need to be introduced to veterans, so they can learn the ropes and they will stay with the sport. I think that is the only reason to have any type of local organization. so people will have some place to go to get answers or assistance. Thats just my nickles worth.