Angry! Geocache rejected!

ARGH! :) I just had a brilliant geocache rejected due to it being too close to a premium members cache. Well, how the hell am I supposed to know how to avoid a cache that I can't see? (without being a premium member), I mean if I could just get a hint from the reviewer as to which direction to at least go with the geocache, that would help. Frustrating! Heres a link to the canceled cache.

I feel your pain - I placed my third cache too close to a disabled cache that I couldn't see on my iPhone. Then I moved it but was working in very tight quarters and accidentally put it 30 or 50 feet (can't remember which) too close to another one when I wandered what I thought was just a little tiny bit from a safe distance. That second time was very disappointing because my four little boys had spent a long long time helping me to gather things to create a natural looking cover for the cache. They were so disappointed when they found out I had to move it again - in fact they refused to come with me that third time :/

But that said, there was really noone to blame - hmm well except maybe the cache owners who had had their cache disabled for several months :lol: Noone at Groundspeak was to blame anyway :lol:

In your situation I think it's very unreasonable and too strong of language for you to say "how the hell" were you to know about the premium member cache. You aren't supposed to know about the premium member cache because you're not paying for a premium membership, though it seems there are workarounds I wasn't aware of.

Why not solve your problem by paying for a premium membership? You have a relatively small amount of finds over your several years of geoccaching, but even so $30 seems fair for several hours of entertainment, it's what most of us pay to have a dinner out or go see a movie with our spouse. Maybe your family is on a very tight budget and $5/mo of entertainment would cut into groceries or some other vital bill. But if not consider getting your premium membership - there are great perks, beyond the satisfaction of keeping the hobby alive and well and profitable for those that run it :lol:

To the several who responded to and even quoted my post, #3. Did anyone follow the links?

No "back door" method is needed. To the original poster, who is still insisting that there is NO Way he could have known about the other cache - once again I say:

Go to hide and seek a cache - put your proposed cache coordinates into the boxes there. Premium Member caches will be shown, complete with bearing and distance! I linked to it above, here's a picture:

ff56b2f3-b6e4-4d2c-96f8-5c304b737794.jpg

I read along for a while, and got sidetracked by the nearly 18,000!!!! caches in a 100 mile radius. Road Trip!?

I placed my third cache too close to a disabled cache that I couldn't see on my iPhone. Then I moved it but was working in very tight quarters and accidentally put it 30 or 50 feet (can't remember which) too close to another one when I wandered what I thought was just a little tiny bit from a safe distance. That second time was very disappointing because my four little boys had spent a long long time helping me to gather things to create a natural looking cover for the cache. They were so disappointed when they found out I had to move it again - in fact they refused to come with me that third time.

But that said, there was really noone to blame - hmm well except maybe the cache owners who had had their cache disabled for several months

A couple things confused me with this post.

How is it that you can't see a disabled cace on your iPhone? I'm not familiar with the app - does it automatically filter out disabled caches? Or is it a setting in your pocket query that eliminates them?

Also, it sounds like the area you were placing a cache was saturated already ("Then I moved it but was working in very tight quarters"). If that's the case why not find somewhere more open to place a cache? ("Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can.")

Just curious...

You would have to ask the Groundspeak application developers why disabled caches aren't visible but I imagine it's a mix of them assuming we aren't interested in finding disabled caches and a way to conserve battery usage. One option I have is to not have caches I've already found show up. But there is no option to toggle disabled caches on and off.

My particular suburban area has a very high percentage of micros, even along trails in parks which could support larger containers.

My cache is a small traditional themed specifically for small children called "What are little cachers made of". My goal was to put it in a section of a park within a suburban area with a great density of families with small children. Most of the rest of the trail which extends across a road is filled with micros and nanos. The count was 9 micros/nanos and 1 regular.

Sadly it seems my cache was probably muggled earlier this month; I didn't get an email notification of the person's DNF so maybe they logged with a mobile phone app :lol:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...16-886388f49e3d

How is it that you can't see a disabled cace on your iPhone? I'm not familiar with the app - does it automatically filter out disabled caches? Or is it a setting in your pocket query that eliminates them?

Also, it sounds like the area you were placing a cache was saturated already ("Then I moved it but was working in very tight quarters"). If that's the case why not find somewhere more open to place a cache? ("Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can.")

Just curious...

You would have to ask the Groundspeak application developers why disabled caches aren't visible but I imagine it's a mix of them assuming we aren't interested in finding disabled caches and a way to conserve battery usage. One option I have is to not have caches I've already found show up. But there is no option to toggle disabled caches on and off.

My particular suburban area has a very high percentage of micros, even along trails in parks which could support larger containers.

My cache is a small traditional themed specifically for small children called "What are little cachers made of". My goal was to put it in a section of a park within a suburban area with a great density of families with small children. Most of the rest of the trail which extends across a road is filled with micros and nanos. The count was 9 micros/nanos and 1 regular.

Sadly it seems my cache was probably muggled earlier this month; I didn't get an email notification of the person's DNF so maybe they logged with a mobile phone app :P

Just curious...

Nope. I logged that one online. :lol:

I definitely didn't get it. I did a search on "semper" in my inbox and turned up your find of my Piggy Cache but not What Are Little Cachers Made Of. Did a semper search in spam and trash as well and all I found was you reporting some or other cache in my area needed maintenance (in my trash folder). I had heard that owners don't get email notifications from mobile phone app logs so I had assumed that's why I've sometimes found logs on my pages that I haven't gotten emails about.

PS. I'm sorry you weren't able to find it :P At some point told me a previous one had been muggled from that spot. I had no idea disc golf courses generated so much foot traffic.

Sadly it seems my cache was probably muggled earlier this month; I didn't get an email notification of the person's DNF so maybe they logged with a mobile phone app :P

Just curious...

Nope. I logged that one online. :lol:

Edited by Opalblade

A lets see BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER !!!! after all you are enjoying the benefits of this site and the Geocaching game aren't you?

Don't feel like you are obligated to buy a premium membership if you enjoy caching. A premium membership is simply paying for premium services. At the end of the day Groundspeak still makes money. If they didn't then they wouldn't be here. They make money on advertising and such when you use the forums and the site. It was my understanding that the geocaching site was always meant to be used without cost.

I too have been very frustrated by a cache I'm still trying to publish that was rejected due to being too close to a hidden mystery cache, who's actual posted waypoint was 3 miles away. The .1 mile rule doesn't make much sense in my head anyway, I guess it reduces saturation, but no one is confusing two geocaches 500 feet away from one another...