Angry! Geocache rejected!

ARGH! :anibad: I just had a brilliant geocache rejected due to it being too close to a premium members cache. Well, how the hell am I supposed to know how to avoid a cache that I can't see? (without being a premium member), I mean if I could just get a hint from the reviewer as to which direction to at least go with the geocache, that would help. Frustrating! Heres a link to the canceled cache.

ARGH! :anibad: I just had a brilliant geocache rejected due to it being too close to a premium members cache. Well, how the hell am I supposed to know how to avoid a cache that I can't see? (without being a premium member), I mean if I could just get a hint from the reviewer as to which direction to at least go with the geocache, that would help. Frustrating! Heres a link to the canceled cache.

Only the owner can view an unpublished cache.

Maybe pony up the $30 and support the community?

Edited by ZeLonewolf

If you put your proposed cache coordinates into the Lat Long boxes on Hide and Seek a cache, it will show you the distance to that Premium Member cache. That's in the Reviewer Note that your reviewer left.

It's true too.

Here's a link to a Knowledge Book Article on using the available tools on Geocaching.com to avoid being too near an existing cache. http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?...page&id=199

Edited by palmetto
I mean if I could just get a hint from the reviewer as to which direction to at least go with the geocache, that would help.

i guess they can do that. in the few cases where i had a cache rejected due to proximity, the reviewer told me in which direction i should preferably move the cache and how far. but that's been a while ago, maybe they changed their policy about doing that?

You have been a member since 2003. I would think that by now you would have known about the proximity rule and how to make sure you are in compliance with PMO, mystery, and multi-caches. But obviously, you're not, so follow Palmetto's good advice next time. I can relate to your disappointment and frustration, but it was of your own making, I'm afraid.

I mean if I could just get a hint from the reviewer as to which direction to at least go with the geocache, that would help.

i guess they can do that. in the few cases where i had a cache rejected due to proximity, the reviewer told me in which direction i should preferably move the cache and how far. but that's been a while ago, maybe they changed their policy about doing that?

This is a traditional cache that's too close to another traditional cache. From the search page, the OP can tell that the Premium Member cache is 253 feet to the southeast. So, for example, a move 300 feet northwest would solve the problem.

Reviewers only need to give "warmer/colder" type hints when helping a hider in navigating around hidden waypoints for multicaches and puzzle caches. The degree of helpfulness will vary based on a number of factors.

Can you make it a multi-cache with one waypoint near the members only and the final waypoint elsewhere?

Yes, but only if the encroaching waypoint is a virtual clue, like a statue or gravestone or plaque. It can't be an object placed by the new hider in the environment.

ARGH! :smile: I just had a brilliant geocache rejected due to it being too close to a premium members cache. Well, how the hell am I supposed to know how to avoid a cache that I can't see? (without being a premium member), I mean if I could just get a hint from the reviewer as to which direction to at least go with the geocache, that would help. Frustrating! Heres a link to the canceled cache.

Don't worry - It happened to me yesterday.

Proximity issues happen to the best of us :anibad:

If you put your proposed cache coordinates into the Lat Long boxes on Hide and Seek a cache, it will show you the distance to that Premium Member cache. That's in the Reviewer Note that your reviewer left.

It's true too.

Here's a link to a Knowledge Book Article on using the available tools on Geocaching.com to avoid being too near an existing cache. http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?...page&id=199

Yes, that is a backdoor method to figuring the general location of a PM cache, by using an unactivated cache page. Difficult puzzles, multis, and Platinum Member caches are other geolandmines. :anibad:

Yeah, mentioned that in my post, but thanks for the snarky non-answer!

It's true too.

Yes, that is a backdoor method to figuring the general location of a PM cache, by using an unactivated cache page. Difficult puzzles, multis, and Platinum Member caches are other geolandmines. :smile:

I'LL BITE...

What's a PLATINUM MEMBERS CACHE??? :anibad:

You have been a member since 2003. I would think that by now you would have known about the proximity rule and how to make sure you are in compliance with PMO, mystery, and multi-caches. But obviously, you're not, so follow Palmetto's good advice next time. I can relate to your disappointment and frustration, but it was of your own making, I'm afraid.

Uh, I'm WELL AWARE of the proximity rule. I checked the area out first before marching out there to plant it. However, I wasn't working with all information I needed, as I'm not a premium member I had absolutely NO WAY of realizing that I was planting a cache near an existing premium member cache until I went back home and tried to get it approved. Its debatable whether or not this was of my own making seeing as how a non-premium member could not easily know prior to attempting to register, whether or not they were near a pre-existing premium member cache.

Edited by The Sunnyslope Gang

It's true too.

Yes, that is a backdoor method to figuring the general location of a PM cache, by using an unactivated cache page. Difficult puzzles, multis, and Platinum Member caches are other geolandmines. :lol:

I'LL BITE...

What's a PLATINUM MEMBERS CACHE??? :anibad:

It's nothing. :smile:

Uh, I'm WELL AWARE of the proximity rule. I checked the area out first before marching out there to plant it. However, I wasn't working with all information I needed, as I'm not a premium member I had absolutely NO WAY of realizing that I was planting a cache near an existing premium member cache until I went back home and tried to get it approved. Its debatable whether or not this was of my own making seeing as how a non-premium member could not easily know prior to attempting to register, whether or not they were near a pre-existing premium member cache.

Since you are well aware of the proximity rule why are you posting here and complaining? I don't get it. There appears to be an existing cache and your proposed cache is too close to it. You tried. You were informed of the existing cache. Try working with your reviewer to fix the problem with your hoped for hide. What is the issue? :anibad:

Umm, no. You were ranting about not being able to get a cache published because of a PMO cache nearby. You then linked to your unpublished cache which only you and the reviewers can see. ZeLonewolf merely pointed out that only you could view the unpublished cache and that you might consider the $30 and community support.

So, I guess you would also be ranting if there was a puzzle nearby that you had not solved?

And why didn't you mention that the reviewer had actually already given you a way of determining how far off you were in his reviewer note?

Instead of expending all that energy getting po'd, why not use it to figure out where to move your cache so you can get it published?

...I had absolutely NO WAY of realizing that I was planting a cache near an existing premium member cache until I went back home and tried to get it approved...

Shouting and listening are two totally incompatible tasks.

Your claim that you had NO WAY of knowing doesn't hold much water. Presumably you had some inkling where you were planning on placing your brilliant cache, right? Before you ever left the house you could've typed up the cache page, (unchecking the box indicating that the cache is in place), using fairly close coords, then hit the "Submit" button. Then view your cache page. Near the bottom right, click on the link that says "Find... All Nearby Caches". That would give you rough distance and direction for everything around your selected spot, PM or not. From there, you would've seen that you'd need to move a few hundred feet thataway.

As such, I still see this fiasco as being entirely of your own making.

To the several who responded to and even quoted my post, #3. Did anyone follow the links?

No "back door" method is needed. To the original poster, who is still insisting that there is NO Way he could have known about the other cache - once again I say:

Go to hide and seek a cache - put your proposed cache coordinates into the boxes there. Premium Member caches will be shown, complete with bearing and distance! I linked to it above, here's a picture:

ff56b2f3-b6e4-4d2c-96f8-5c304b737794.jpg

I had absolutely NO WAY of realizing that I was planting a cache near an existing premium member cache until I went back home and tried to get it approved.

Palmetto and Clan Riffster have demonstrated 2 ways to be able to know about the other cache that you encroached on. You could also have politely asked your local reviewer to check the coordinates for you prior to placement. That is at least THREE WAYS of knowing.

Cache hiders should also realize that they could always come up against someone's stage of a multi or puzzle when hiding in an area where they haven't found all the caches. Having been in this game for at least 3-4 years longer than I have, you should already know this.

Sorry, but you are being your own worst enemy on this one.

Edited by Stargazer22

You can know if your near a MOC without being a PM.

MOC caches do show up in the listed search just not on the map.

I hate to say this but with a little effort GC.com provides a way for a member to not only log a MOC but find out exactly where it is without a PM account.

You don't even have to start creating a cache to do it.

Just go to the website front page and drop the coords in the 1st search box.

I'm wishing that I wasn't a PM now so that I could prove that statement but people would accuse me of cheating even If I made a sock account.

I also think that GC.com provides non PMs too much information about MOCs.

It should not display a MOC's bearing and distance to coords inputted by a Non PM.

It should only say too close or flash an icon to indicate it it is within 528.

Sure you could still find out where it is but it would be a lot more difficult.

I'd send your proposed GZ coords to the local reviewer ahead of time to get a feel for what's around.. or rather, if you're in the clear or not.

This is a self-inflicted wound. You choose to not support the website while getting something from it which is your right. You have no right to complain when because of your choices you suffer.

I did one last year and got a note that it was to close to a waypoint of a multi and had to go out and move it. Fortunately I had done the multi years ago and I emailed the owner who checked and sent me the waypoints so I wouldn't have to make multiple trips.

Plus you have been advised of how you could have checked before activation so quit whining.

I am a PM but recently i found a place that I thought would be great for a cache but I thought it strange that there wasnt one already. I noticed that there was a multi near by (looking on google earth) that I hadn't done. So before I headed out to place the cache I emailed my local reviewer with the appox coords of where I wanted to place the cache. I waited for a reply before I went out to place the cache. The coords I sent my reviewer were off a bit from the actual placement coords but they were close enough to find out if i was too close to the multi-stages.

basically 2 mins of effort could have saved you a lot of energy.

It happens. It's a big world out there and plenty of room to move it to. Save your anger for things that really matter.

Yup - you know the guideline. You could have looked up all nearby caches the same way you check for any other cache. Just go move it and be done with it. Save the Angst for the folks in Washington DC.

I don't see what the big deal is....Is it really that important of a location to you where you absolutly have to place a cache in that exact spot ?? I would suspect the answer to be "no". Who cares there is other places to place your cache. I agree with the others. Pay the $30.00 and support the community. I joined in 2007 and have been supporting it ever since.

Apparently you stopped reading before reaching the "and how to make sure you are in compliance" section above.

By now, you must be well aware of how to check for PMO caches, but that still leaves mystery and multi caches to contend with. It happens to us all.

Thanks for starting this thread, as it's shown me a very useful useful tidbit of information - That you can submit coordinates for approval without having to actually set up the physical cache.

I plan on setting up my first cache soon, and even though I'm a PM, I am worried that my site location would be rejected because it might be too close to an unmapped Multi or Mystery cache. Seeing as though my proposed cache is heavy and complex, it's probably going to take several hours to transport and setup. It would be a disaster if I found out after-the-fact that it wasn't in compliance and that I would have move it somewhere else.

Thanks for starting this thread, as it's shown me a very useful useful tidbit of information - That you can submit coordinates for approval without having to actually set up the physical cache.

I plan on setting up my first cache soon, and even though I'm a PM, I am worried that my site location would be rejected because it might be too close to an unmapped Multi or Mystery cache. Seeing as though my proposed cache is heavy and complex, it's probably going to take several hours to transport and setup. It would be a disaster if I found out after-the-fact that it wasn't in compliance and that I would have move it somewhere else.

Given the example that you state, I'm sure a reviewer would have no problem at all helping you out, as long as you state that.

I suspect that in the general case, they would much prefer that you go through the normal process of filling out the form, though.

make sure you let the reviewer know about this fact though - don't just set up a listing and activate it, because if you do that, it will probably just get published right away.

I'm wishing that I wasn't a PM now so that I could prove that statement but people would accuse me of cheating even If I made a sock account.

Just log out. Then use Palmetto's instructions and you will find that even though you can't get the actual coordinates of the PMO cache, you can see how far your coordinates are from it if it's close by.

ARGH! :D I just had a brilliant geocache rejected due to it being too close to a premium members cache. Well, how the hell am I supposed to know how to avoid a cache that I can't see? (without being a premium member)

A lets see BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER !!!! after all you are enjoying the benefits of this site and the Geocaching game aren't you?

Scubasonic

Just log out. Then use Palmetto's instructions and you will find that even though you can't get the actual coordinates of the PMO cache, you can see how far your coordinates are from it if it's close by.

The following is what the part you quoted was in reference to.

I hate to say this but with a little effort GC.com provides a way for a member to not only log a MOC but find out exactly where it is without a PM account.

Oh well, next time my sleep meds run out I know what I'll be doing anyway, just for personal gratification.

I just had a brilliant geocache rejected

Well he did say it was a 'brilliant' cache so maybe that is the only location in the universe that he feels is acceptable for his brilliance.

It would have been his 4th hide so he has the experience to achieve greeatness with his vast knowledge of hides.

Ouch! :D

make sure you let the reviewer know about this fact though - don't just set up a listing and activate it, because if you do that, it will probably just get published right away.

Right - I would just contact the local reviewer with the coordinates and ask if they were acceptable as per the saturation rule. I was just unaware that reviewer contact was available outside the scope of an official submission.

If the coordinates are acceptable, I would setup the physical cache and go through the official submission process.

It should not display a MOC's bearing and distance to coords inputted by a Non PM.

This is absolutely true. There's even a more efficient way of doing it. You put in coordinates on the first page. This takes you to a list of caches, showing direction and bearing. Then just edit the decimal coordinates in the url, closing in on the PMO until your target is listed as "here." It takes a little extra time to do it, and you can never see the cache description or the hints, but it is certainly possible. Before I was given a PM for Christmas, that's how I found and logged several PMO caches.

ARGH! :D I just had a brilliant geocache rejected due to it being too close to a premium members cache. Well, how the hell am I supposed to know how to avoid a cache that I can't see? (without being a premium member), I mean if I could just get a hint from the reviewer as to which direction to at least go with the geocache, that would help. Frustrating! Heres a link to the canceled cache.

Talk about Snarky, check your post!

This is absolutely true. There's even a more efficient way of doing it. You put in coordinates on the first page. This takes you to a list of caches, showing direction and bearing. Then just edit the decimal coordinates in the url, closing in on the PMO until your target is listed as "here." It takes a little extra time to do it, and you can never see the cache description or the hints, but it is certainly possible. Before I was given a PM for Christmas, that's how I found and logged several PMO caches.

I would rather plot 4 to 6 points to get the cache between 4 of them, noting their proximity to those points then do some math to zero in.

It just struck me, the anti-MOCers can stop their itching now.

There is a backdoor to log MOCs and there is a work around to find them.

So technically all geocaches are available for them to attempt.

We can't say no non-premium members can log this cache without the accompaniment of a premium member because that would be an ALR.

I know how frustrating it is when you find and place a GREAT hide and it gets rejected for some reason....argh!

I have 3 caches in limbo waiting for permission that seems like it will never come (yeah i should have checked first, i wasnt aware of the local forestry commission rules at the time). I was really proud of the hides though, they were some of my best IMO. I was gutted they were rejected *weep*!

Or you could simply use the handy "notes to the reviewer" field at the bottom of the cache submission form. Ask them to simply review the location for compliance with the guidelines but hold off on publishing the cache as it is still a work of brilliance in progress.

Then you get your coords checked, the reviewer can use the tools that work on an actual cache listing instead of only having the coords, and it won't get published until you are ready for it to go live. Everyone is happy.

If you put your proposed cache coordinates into the Lat Long boxes on Hide and Seek a cache, it will show you the distance to that Premium Member cache.

Now why didn't I think of that? Goes to show, you can always get some great tips reading these treads. Thanks for posting it.

It's true too.

Yes, that is a backdoor method to figuring the general location of a PM cache, by using an unactivated cache page. Difficult puzzles, multis, and Platinum Member caches are other geolandmines. :lol:

I'LL BITE...

What's a PLATINUM MEMBERS CACHE??? :)

It's nothing. :lol:

Itz fery interesting how you know about de platinum membership. Ve do not talk about it hier. Talk about dis membership ist vorbotten! Not dat it exist. Nein, nein, nein; it tose not exist!!! De platinum membership committee, if dere really vas one, would hafe vays of silencing dese rumors. Letz agree to nefer talk about dis efer again. Ya?