New to Caching - Need some help

chag67

I just started caching yesterday. I found 2 caches yesterday. I didn't find one yesterday and couldn't find another today. The one I searched for today at lunchtime seemed easy enough since I (sadly) "cheated" and looked at the photos and read most of the logs before heading out to find it. The cache # is GCWR2H.

I logged that I couldn't find it and said that I believed the cache to be gone since I had thoroughly inspected the "area" and had the photos to help. Apparently it is still there as another person found it after I had left.

The problem that I am having is that I am having trouble figuring out the terminology that many of the logs are using. The last log after mine reads "Looks like the original container has been replaced, as well as the hide type. Seems like this has become a letterbox hybrid. Signed the present log and replaced as found."

What does the person mean by "letterbox hybrid"?

What are some of the "normal" caches that people hide? I don't know what some of these items look like or their size, so that makes the find that much more difficult for me. If I knew what a "bison tube" looks like than I know what to look for and what hidding spots they might possibly fit it in. Please help me. Thanks. I have found only two caches and one was a magnetic hide a key and the other was.... I can't say without giving away the hiding spot.

Other things that I am having trouble understanding is the shorthand that many use as well. Examples -

TFTC/SL

TFTH

For terminology try here: http://geolex.locusprime.net/

As for common containers - all over the map - I have found at least 200 different types of containers over the years. Mostly micro caches are in bison tubes, matchstick boxes (plastic), 35mm film cans and the like. Larger caches use different varieties of tupperware or lock-n-locks.

bison3-a.jpg

These are bison tubes. Sometimes smaller as well.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Edited by StarBrand

For one thing, don't try so much for the micros (don't ignore them, either). Work at hunting up small to large caches, until you have a few under your belt. Also, you should pay attention to the difficulty rating. Save those with more than 2-stars until you get the hang of it.

50 cal. and 30 cal. ammo cans are favored cache containers -- obviously larger than a micro. Sandwich-size containers would should be considered as "small". Types of containers run the gamut of whatever you can think of, and more. New ones come along almost daily. Imagination is the key.

Looking at logs and/or photos is not cheating. Besides, if you cheat, you are only cheating yourself.

Don't sweat those DNF's as even the most seasoned geocacher gets stumped, and they don't count against your "score", so log them but don't jump to the conclusion that the cache is missing just because you couldn't find it. Some hides are dastardly hard to locate -- even some of the "easy" ones.

Welcome to the club. Most of all, enjoy the "hunt". :anibad:

TFTC- thanks for the cache

TNLN- took none left none

micros should be bison tubes, film cans, ect.

smalls should be tupperware, lock-n-locks, ect.

larges should be ammo-cans, big peanut jars, big pork-rind jars, ect.

Have fun, and try those caches again! Never give up the search for a cache!

I (sadly) "cheated" and looked at the photos and read most of the logs before heading out to find it.

I would not consider this cheating. Some folks prefer not to use the photos or logs as they like the challenge of the hunt without these helpers. As a new cacher, I would recommend you use them and as you gain experience might elect not to. The beauty of Geocaching is that we play the game in a way that is best for each us. Also, reading the logs can tell you a lot about the status of the cache. For example, if you see a number of DNFs in a row, it might indicate the cache is missing. Have fun.

I (sadly) "cheated" and looked at the photos and read most of the logs before heading out to find it.

I would not consider this cheating. Some folks prefer not to use the photos or logs as they like the challenge of the hunt without these helpers. As a new cacher, I would recommend you use them and as you gain experience might elect not to. The beauty of Geocaching is that we play the game in a way that is best for each us. Also, reading the logs can tell you a lot about the status of the cache. For example, if you see a number of DNFs in a row, it might indicate the cache is missing. Have fun.

Fine advice! It is a game, do what gives you the most fun for your level of experience. If you feel like a bigger challenge later on, have at it! Hope you are enjoying some good weather.

As far as I know, you can treat a “Letterbox Hybrid” just like any Geocache, but it has features for another game called Letterboxing. Some things are supposed to remain in a Letterbox, so be careful about trading items.

Resist the urge to log that “the cache is gone” (but mention how long you looked, or how thoroughly you searched). I’ve found pieces of a plastic cache box shredded by a lawn mower, and the uniquely colorful container was still in place, unharmed. Weird.

Look at the hint for the GCWR2H cache. Based on that hint, I have some ideas about what I might look for. I still often read all the logs, and check the hint and the pictures, unless I want a real challenge. I even print the satellite view (or take a picture of the computer screen with my GPS camera). If you don’t know exactly where the cache is, don’t be surprised if you can’t find it. :D

Edited by kunarion

Let me also suggest that you try to get ahold of a more experienced local cacher and see if they'll head out on a run with you. Caching with people who know the ins and outs can really help you figure out what you're looking for, and give you some insight on where to look.

Welcome to the game, hope you continue to enjoy...