Valid Benchmark Types

Renegade Knight

This has to have been given some thought, but ther are many types of benchmarks. They are on different datums etc. So to clarify are we talking about any 'disc' similar to the pic? Or any section line, quarter section etc. marker? Or any benchmark at all including City, County, and State?

I like the concept and have come across these in my travels. My first Geocache was at Initial Point in Idaho, where the local grid has been established. One more reason to get a digital camera...

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

This has to have been given some thought, but ther are many types of benchmarks. They are on different datums etc. So to clarify are we talking about any 'disc' similar to the pic? Or any section line, quarter section etc. marker? Or any benchmark at all including City, County, and State?

I included all the benchmarks provided by the USGS on their set of 10 CDs. These marks can be anthing from a traditional disk, a nail, or even a rooftop ventilator icon_rolleyes.gif. On the search results page, you'll see the type of mark listed so you can quickly look at only the ones you'd be interested in hunting.

I also made every effort to add any other useful data from the sheets, so for those marks that have settings listed, those will be listed on the detail pages as well.

I believe all the coordinates are NAD 83, but I pulled the datum data off the sheet and its listed next the coordinates on the detail page, so if a particular mark is not NAD 83, then the correct datum will be listed.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I included all the benchmarks provided by the USGS on their set of 10 CDs. These marks can be anthing from a traditional disk, a nail, or even a rooftop ventilator icon_rolleyes.gif. On the search results page, you'll see the type of mark listed so you can quickly look at only the ones you'd be interested in hunting.

I also made every effort to add any other useful data from the sheets, so for those marks that have settings listed, those will be listed on the detail pages as well.

I believe all the coordinates are NAD 83, but I pulled the datum data off the sheet and its listed next the coordinates on the detail page, so if a particular mark is not NAD 83, then the correct datum will be listed.

-Elias

I actually like having all types. One of these can be found on my church. Duh, never knew it was a benchmark. The church was built by King George III and given to the Presbyterians after the American Revolution. The steeple made it through Hurricane Hugo (barely) and had to be straightned. Even though I know where the church is (I'm a member) I plan on finding the teardrop marker...

See:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=FA2396

Yeah, I've been "recovering" PIDs & related markers for a while, just for fun, and have pics of some that are not in Elias' (USGS) data base. In particular, I have several that are US Army Corps of Engineers, that do not show up in the USGS data base. You'd think that one part of the Gov't would talk to another part -- naw - that's too much to hope for, I guess!

-- Klemmer

The gov't agency is "U.S. Engineer Dept.". A Google search didn't reveal much, but I'm guessing it was once a Branch of the U.S. Army and was later swallowed up by another department sometime around the mid 1900's. I'm also guessing this particular reference mark was placed between 1920 and 1955. The second picture shows the coords.

25675_400.JPG

25675_500.JPG

Is there any way to log this benchmark?

Worldtraveler

I too have found a benchmark similar to this. They were placed by what is now the Army Corps of Engineers and are often found near waterways. If I recall correctly from an earlier discussion, the COE is working on a database, but it isn't publicly available yet. So, there is no way to log it at the present time.

Gary // Team Grayrun

Heard in a bookstore coffee shop: "They don't have regular coffee. Whaddya want, French Roast or Peruvian?"