LPC with a twist

ad5smith

Ok i read about many people's hatred of micros and LPC's, but what about a twist to it. A magnetic key holder placed on the upside of the inside if the skirt of the LPC. it adds a slight challenge to your usual LPC.

been there, done that. nothing new.

Frequently, the skirt isn't made of ferrous metal & a magnet wouldn't stick. I've seen a cache where someone used an expandable rod to hold the cache in place in the skirt itself, overcoming this issue. It was clever, for an LPC.

The problem most have with LPC's isn't that it is too easy to hide, but that the location itself is typically . . .

:wub:

. . . well . . .

:grin:

. . . a parking lot. Not very interesting. :grin: **

Now, find a cool spot with a lamp post and implement your idea, that'll make people happier.

**I'm completely ignoring the whole permission issue that has been discussed numerous times here in the forums.

Edited by Too Tall John
...but what about a twist to it...

Would the seekers still be brought to a 500 acre, sweltering, exhaust laden, big box store parking lot bristling with SUVs driven by soccer moms? Why would you want to bring someone to such a blighted location? :wub:

actually no, it's a unique pole with a metal skirt, and it's behind a office complex with a pretty view of a pond

actually no, it's a unique pole with a metal skirt, and it's behind a office complex with a pretty view of a pond

Is the lamppost on private property, then? Do you have permission to place a cache there?

Is the pond on public land or private land? Perhaps there's a better spot to hide the cache.

Would the seekers still be brought to a 500 acre, sweltering, exhaust laden, big box store parking lot bristling with SUVs driven by soccer moms? Why would you want to bring someone to such a blighted location? :wub:

Is there a spot close to the lamp post where you can hide a regular cache? For instance, does the pond have a trail or something that could hold the cache, etc.?

I don't have big issues with lamp post caches in general (it can be a nice diversion while doing errends), but I do wonder why people hide them sometimes when I can see a perfectly nice spot nearby where they could have hidden a regular cache. :grin:

Frequently, the skirt isn't made of ferrous metal & a magnet wouldn't stick. I've seen a cache where someone used an expandable rod to hold the cache in place in the skirt itself, overcoming this issue. It was clever, for an LPC.

The problem most have with LPC's isn't that it is too easy to hide, but that the location itself is typically . . .

:anibad:

. . . well . . .

:smile:

. . . a parking lot. Not very interesting. :lol: **

Now, find a cool spot with a lamp post and implement your idea, that'll make people happier.

**I'm completely ignoring the whole permission issue that has been discussed numerous times here in the forums.

Exactly. Of all the LPCs I have found only two stand out in my memory. The very first one and the one on the dock at the historic fire boat.

:anibad:

. . . well . . .

:smile:

. . . a parking lot. Not very interesting. :lol: **

IMHO that's what i have here, it's a neat little spot and this as close as i can get without being on private property,

In the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe there is a lamp post in the middle of the forest. Now THAT would be a cool place to hide an LPC...... :anibad:

I actually have one of those, it is called NOT ANOTHER LAMP POST cache GC1TY5P. Cache is a 1 gallon container, in a tree, 8 feet up, leaning on a telephone pole with a dusk to dark lamp on it in the woods.

If you look in the cool cache container thread there is a picture of another one that is a lamp post in the woods.

Edited by Bergie Bunch

In the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe there is a lamp post in the middle of the forest. Now THAT would be a cool place to hide an LPC...... :anibad:

I actually have one of those, it is called NOT ANOTHER LAMP POST cache GC1TY5P. Cache is a 1 gallon container, in a tree, 8 feet up, leaning on a telephone pole with a dusk to dark lamp on it in the woods.

If you look in the cool cache container thread there is a picture of another one that is a lamp post in the woods.

I'm gonna go to the cool cache container thread and try to find that....Be back in a month!

If I knew of a good area to pull it off, I'd have a multi with stage 1 being a LPC and stage 2 being a traditional ammo can. Kinda difficult to find an area where urban sprawl meets the deep woods though.

ETA: Oh and how about this for star trek fans: a 4 stage multi, all LPC's. Call it `There are four lights'

Edited by nekom

Ok i read about many people's hatred of micros and LPC's, but what about a twist to it. A magnetic key holder placed on the upside of the inside if the skirt of the LPC. it adds a slight challenge to your usual LPC.

That made my second LPC worth finding. Since then, they've all been downhill. Now I refuse to even get out of the car if my GPSr takes me to a lamp post.

SNIP

SNIP

I was actually disappointed that a cache I was looking for WASN'T in a lamp post skirt the other day. My GPSr wasn't updating very well at the GZ, and the location looked like it was one of those giant street lamps at an intersection. The skirt on this thing was very thick galvanized steel, and at least twice the size of a normal lamp post skirt. I didn't even know if it would come up, but it did. All I found inside were a bunch of cobwebs, though. :anibad:

Turns out the cache was actually a bison tube under a piece of bark on a tree trunk in the landscaped strip in the street. 'Twas a very good hide, anyway. :smile:

Nothing new but what if the skirt is Plastic as many of them are in our area.

SS

Nothing new but what if the skirt is Plastic as many of them are in our area.

SS

not only has that be thought about, it is metal and has been placed and submitted today

That made my second LPC worth finding. Since then, they've all been downhill. Now I refuse to even get out of the car if my GPSr takes me to a lamp post.

I just refuse to shut my engine off. :anibad:

I'm gonna go to the cool cache container thread and try to find that....Be back in a month!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3978546

IMHO that's what i have here, it's a neat little spot and this as close as i can get without being on private property,

Asking forum participants their opinion on a cache idea tends to be pretty pointless. All you really have to consider is whether you would enjoy finding a cache like the proposed one. If the answer is 'yes', then you should move forward with the idea.

Remember, a good cache is one that you would like to find.

Would the seekers still be brought to a 500 acre, sweltering, exhaust laden, big box store parking lot bristling with SUVs driven by soccer moms? Why would you want to bring someone to such a blighted location? :anibad:

Yeah, someone really needs to stick a cache in the lampposts out in the nipple deep gator infested swamps so that riffster can get in on the LPC fun. He's feeling left out. :smile:

Edited by wimseyguy
All you really have to consider is whether you would enjoy finding a cache like the proposed one. If the answer is 'yes', then you should move forward with the idea.
That, and the repercussions of muggles finding the cache, or observing others finding the cache.

Or environmental impacts to the site.

Or legal issues.

Safety issues.

But other than that, you're spot on. :anibad:

Edited by Too Tall John
All you really have to consider is whether you would enjoy finding a cache like the proposed one. If the answer is 'yes', then you should move forward with the idea.
That, and the repercussions of muggles finding the cache, or observing others finding the cache.

Or environmental impacts to the site.

Or legal issues.

Safety issues.

But other than that, you're spot on. :D

You post doesn't change mine whatsoever. I carefully worded mine to account for your 'issues'.

Asking forum participants their opinion on a cache idea tends to be pretty pointless.

So true. You could ask about putting an ammo can 5' from a paved walking path 1 mile back in the woods where no muggles ever go, full of top dollar swag and someone will find an issue with it.

Just hide it. If folks like it, you'll know by the logs. If they don't, you'll know by the logs or lack of logs.

Asking forum participants their opinion on a cache idea tends to be pretty pointless.

So true. You could ask about putting an ammo can 5' from a paved walking path 1 mile back in the woods where no muggles ever go, full of top dollar swag and someone will find an issue with it.

Just hide it. If folks like it, you'll know by the logs. If they don't, you'll know by the logs or lack of logs.

Opinions are far from useless. You have to know what to do with the information that you're given and you have to consider the source. A good week's worth of lurking should tell who to listen to and who is full of snark and pompous non-answers.

Opinions are far from useless. You have to know what to do with the information that you're given and you have to consider the source. A good week's worth of lurking should tell who to listen to and who is full of snark and pompous non-answers.

And who sticks closely to their own talking points without ever considering that other players may think differently (and that it's actually OK to think differently).

Edited by sbell111

And who sticks closely to their own talking points without ever considering that other players may think differently (and that it's actually OK to think differently).

Yes, they should look out for that too. Thanks for reminding me!

Let us know when you find an LPC that can hide an ammo can and then I'll be impressed.

f52f4ce6-8c9d-407a-ae05-79a6a566e86e.jpg

Not lamp post, but how about a flagpole ammo can? Run the box up the pole and lock the chain with a combination lock. Work a puzzle for the combo.

Edited by edscott

In the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe there is a lamp post in the middle of the forest. Now THAT would be a cool place to hide an LPC...... :laughing:

I did this ;) It's called "Narnia Bidniss!", and I basically took a piece of tubing, mounted a solar/battery lamp from eBay on top, and put a mailbox on the front. Then hid it in the middle of the woods. An LPC that's worth finding!

In the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe there is a lamp post in the middle of the forest. Now THAT would be a cool place to hide an LPC...... :laughing:

I did this ;) It's called "Narnia Bidniss!", and I basically took a piece of tubing, mounted a solar/battery lamp from eBay on top, and put a mailbox on the front. Then hid it in the middle of the woods. An LPC that's worth finding!

Aw man, ya shoulda made a skirt and stuck a micro under it. :unsure:

Did it.

McKerral LPC -GC1FNDP

From the logs, most cachers like it. ;)

It is actually one of those solar lamp posts (one of those little ones that you put along your sidewalk), but it is still a lamp post! The shaft pulls apart and there is lots of room for a log scroll and pencil in it.

Hidden inside the cavity of a large hollow tree so it doesn't get muggled.