Oregon 400t vs. GPSMap 60CSx

Zop

Well, I've had the Oregon 400t for just about a month now and have all the latest updates yet it still seems crippled compared to the GPSMap 60CSx.

Does anyone here know if there are any plans on making the Oregon a bit more Geocaching friendly?

The Oregon seems quite a bit slower to settle down when approaching a cache, the compass REALLY jumps around a lot and seems to need a recalibration at every battery change.

I can live with it being slower than the 60CSx but for the life of me, I cannot find a way to edit lat/lon on a geocache without creating a waypoint and editing that. Makes multi's and off-set puzzles a waste of time.

I also cannot seem to locate where I can instruct the device to display the geocache names on the maps. It only shows the name of the one I'm locked in to.

Also, I cannot delete a geocache by its self.

For being a PDA, the features are OK but when viewing the description of a geocache, I cannot find the placed date. Heck, even my BBerry and Palm show that info!

I got this thing for a really good price but none the less, I find myself relying more on my GPSMap 60CSx to get me to GZ and only really using the Oregon as a read-only PDA.

Well, I've had the Oregon 400t for just about a month now and have all the latest updates yet it still seems crippled compared to the GPSMap 60CSx.

Does anyone here know if there are any plans on making the Oregon a bit more Geocaching friendly?

The Oregon seems quite a bit slower to settle down when approaching a cache, the compass REALLY jumps around a lot and seems to need a recalibration at every battery change.

I can live with it being slower than the 60CSx but for the life of me, I cannot find a way to edit lat/lon on a geocache without creating a waypoint and editing that. Makes multi's and off-set puzzles a waste of time.

I also cannot seem to locate where I can instruct the device to display the geocache names on the maps. It only shows the name of the one I'm locked in to.

Also, I cannot delete a geocache by its self.

For being a PDA, the features are OK but when viewing the description of a geocache, I cannot find the placed date. Heck, even my BBerry and Palm show that info!

I got this thing for a really good price but none the less, I find myself relying more on my GPSMap 60CSx to get me to GZ and only really using the Oregon as a read-only PDA.

Returned my Oregon saturday, after the better part of a year for the 60csx. Just could not take any more bells & whistle updates. Real glad I returned it for many reasons. Cant measure distance as well as the 60, 60 tracks better - never glitches -, map pointer always points the right direction, never lose sat signal, the map is not off track from pointer as it had been from day one.

Just one problem I had with the 60 was the newer version does not recive tide charts. Called tech support at Garmin this morning and it is now loaded up.

Could not be Happier :anibad:

Sounds like you either didnt have the updated firmware of you had a faulty unit. Ive had my 400t since it was released and has been a fantasic little unit, have done all the updates and it has only gotten better, very accutire and has never lost signal even in building and heavy cover.

Funny, I was sure that updates/firmware was the first thing I commented on in this thread. Right about one thing though, if it was a faulty unit I was in no way gonna give it a second chance.

I really have compaired the map 60csx side by side the oregon in the field and the 60 is far more accurate.

I like the oregon as a pda but but not a $400 pda