Pre-2008 geocoins: Chose your favourite coin and win a prize.

geocoin academy

I thought the 2006 Compass Rose from Coins and Pins/Yemon Yime should have been included as well as the 2006 Petrified Wood Compass by Oshndoc/Go Jaybee. My head said I should have given the nod to history, but my heart got drawn to one of a series that brought me into geocaching and I cast my vote accordingly.

No Thanks.

The free coins are stated to NOT be among those choices and this is a sockpuppet account to harvest email addresses for spaming.

Yes, but if you look at their website you can see that they "sock puppet" account is actually a group of about 10 real geocachers from around the world... some with over 600 coins and thousands of finds...

I voted!!

I voted but have to ask, why are the USA Geocoins not included in this, they were some of the first.

Heya CCW! There were a LOT of coins nominated, and I do recall USA Geocoins getting plenty of attention. I would say that perhaps they barely missed out when the field was narrowed down to the final nominees.

I personally credit USA Geocoins with being one of my influences, because I've always preached the value of "old school" designs. People talk about new designs "pushing the envelope". Well, USA Geocoins was one of the very first to test the seams...and I'd say they licked it good. :)

Can't wait to see the results of everyone's opinions!

No Thanks.

The free coins are stated to NOT be among those choices and this is a sockpuppet account to harvest email addresses for spaming.

Yes, but if you look at their website you can see that they "sock puppet" account is actually a group of about 10 real geocachers from around the world... some with over 600 coins and thousands of finds...

I voted!!

Yet, some of us ( :) ) who design & create coins aren't listed as members ( but we are ). Why would we want to harvest your email account to spam you? You can always be sent an email through GC.com, but why would we bother to do that? You either want to participate or you don't... it's that simple.

~J

It took a while, but now here we go:

Out of the long list (with about 100 top geocoins that appeared up to the year 2007), the 29 most outstanding geocoins were chosen for the short list.

You can find this list here:

http://geocoins.info/nominees.html

There you will also find a link where you can cast your vote for your favourite.

Please note: You can chose one coin only and vote only once.

Submit your vote by April 15, 2010

Five people participating this vote will win a geocoin prize (however not of those coins depicted on that nominee list).

The winning coins (and prize winners) will be anounced in this forum at the end of April 2010.

(Election of the best coins of the years 2008 and 2009 will be held later this year.)

A tough choice but I picked one. TY Phish_bonz

I would respectfully request that the Geocoin Academy remove the 2007 Earth Turtle from the nomination list.

Sincerely,

tsun

I will try to be as brief as possible in my explanation for the above request. While it shouldn't really matter to anyone, I want to be clear about my intention whether you agree with me or not. I don't intend to argue the point, only make it known why I am requesting removal of the design.

When the concept of the GA originally was proposed, I was admittedly not a fan of the idea for several reasons. I did speak up about it and actually had a lengthy and honest email discussion about it with Chris Mackey aka Fox & Hound (so he can verify that this isn't anything that I just now decided upon seeing this thread). I don't begrudge anyone of their idea or fun in all of this, congratulations to all designs that were nominated.

However, I don't feel that allowing the design to stay in the competition falls in-line with my thoughts, feelings and geocoin beliefs, if you will. I have always stated that when designing coins, you should design what you love and give 110% of yourself to it. I've done my best to honor that thought process and do geocoin design for no other reason for the love of it. When I've become burned out, I stepped back and just took a break so I could find my passion for designing again. There was no releasing a design for the sake of releasing a design.

My point is this; I love to draw and paint in my free time, it's a release from the everyday pressures of work, life, etc. When you do something for the love of it, there's no competition with anything, it's just something when it's created to be enjoyed and loved by those who recognize it for what it is; a glimpse of what makes me who I am and how I see things. I realize that some of you are rolling your eyes right now and that's ok because not everyone is going to understand where I'm coming from when I say this. Anyone who has ever spoke to me at length knows that I really do mean this and I'd like to think my actions back up my words.

In this one area of my life, I don't want what I love to be up for competition. I'm not interested in the popularity contest or being judged against some obviously wonderful coin designs. I just want mine to be something for pure enjoyment by those who want to enjoy them, no more, no less.

I appreciate the fact that something of mine made it to the final round but the design was never done to compete with its peers, it was done out of my love for Mother Earth and nature and there was a lot meaning in the very simple design and I would just prefer it to keep the original intention true to itself.

That's it plain and simple, agree with it or not I just ask you to try and see where I am coming from.

Respectfully,

tsun

I would respectfully request that the Geocoin Academy remove the 2007 Earth Turtle from the nomination list.

Sincerely,

tsun

I will try to be as brief as possible in my explanation for the above request. While it shouldn't really matter to anyone, I want to be clear about my intention whether you agree with me or not. I don't intend to argue the point, only make it known why I am requesting removal of the design.

When the concept of the GA originally was proposed, I was admittedly not a fan of the idea for several reasons. I did speak up about it and actually had a lengthy and honest email discussion about it with Chris Mackey aka Fox & Hound (so he can verify that this isn't anything that I just now decided upon seeing this thread). I don't begrudge anyone of their idea or fun in all of this, congratulations to all designs that were nominated.

However, I don't feel that allowing the design to stay in the competition falls in-line with my thoughts, feelings and geocoin beliefs, if you will. I have always stated that when designing coins, you should design what you love and give 110% of yourself to it. I've done my best to honor that thought process and do geocoin design for no other reason for the love of it. When I've become burned out, I stepped back and just took a break so I could find my passion for designing again. There was no releasing a design for the sake of releasing a design.

My point is this; I love to draw and paint in my free time, it's a release from the everyday pressures of work, life, etc. When you do something for the love of it, there's no competition with anything, it's just something when it's created to be enjoyed and loved by those who recognize it for what it is; a glimpse of what makes me who I am and how I see things. I realize that some of you are rolling your eyes right now and that's ok because not everyone is going to understand where I'm coming from when I say this. Anyone who has ever spoke to me at length knows that I really do mean this and I'd like to think my actions back up my words.

In this one area of my life, I don't want what I love to be up for competition. I'm not interested in the popularity contest or being judged against some obviously wonderful coin designs. I just want mine to be something for pure enjoyment by those who want to enjoy them, no more, no less.

I appreciate the fact that something of mine made it to the final round but the design was never done to compete with its peers, it was done out of my love for Mother Earth and nature and there was a lot meaning in the very simple design and I would just prefer it to keep the original intention true to itself.

That's it plain and simple, agree with it or not I just ask you to try and see where I am coming from.

Respectfully,

tsun

I always enjoy your posts. I think you are just speaking like a true artist. All art is subjective. What one person thinks is beautiful the next person thinks is a piece of junk. I don't know how 'art' can really be judged. Most of us have seen some art that we look at and go "what the heck is that crap" yet that artist has his or her artwork displayed in museums.

My hat goes off to you for being a person tha has never had any issues speaking on how you feel.

the public voting is over. thanks for participating. these are the top 10 favourite geocoins (geocoins up to the year 2007):

(Note: Judging results of the Academy will be announced later, these are the results of the public voting)

rank

1: tranquility (12% of all votes)

2: ? (removed from list according to designer’s request) (11%)

3: alaska 2006 (10%)

4: knights templar (7%)

4 (equal): compass rose 2007 (7%)

6: windmill/windmolen

7: dork puffer fish

8: yemon yime v1

9: time and space

10: mountain bike v1

here is the list of all nominees:

and these are the winners of geocoin prizes (raffled off amongst all who voted):

burgessfour, Lauchi, Sivota, illo, struppis.

they will be contacted shortly.

the public voting is over. thanks for participating. these are the top 10 favourite geocoins (geocoins up to the year 2007):

(Note: Judging results of the Academy will be announced later, these are the results of the public voting)

rank

1: tranquility (12% of all votes)

2: ? (removed from list according to designer’s request) (11%)

3: alaska 2006 (10%)

4: knights templar (7%)

4 (equal): compass rose 2007 (7%)

6: windmill/windmolen

7: dork puffer fish

8: yemon yime v1

9: time and space

10: mountain bike v1

here is the list of all nominees:

and these are the winners of geocoin prizes (raffled off amongst all who voted):

burgessfour, Lauchi, Sivota, illo, struppis.

they will be contacted shortly.

Wow, what a fun surprise, thank you so much!!!!!

Just a quick thanks to everyone who voted for the Tranq... I don't visit the forums much at all nowadays, but I was told it was voted #1, and wanted to thank everyone who voted for my Tranq design!

It was a coin that started out as a very simple design, believe it or not, and kept evolving, and evolving into what is now the Tranquility coin as you know it. It started out as a SIMPLE 1.5 inch coin, and I kept thinking, just one more element, just one more element - everything tied together, and worked so well together I couldn't bear to put it away.

If anyone is ever interested in seeing the original art progression, Ill dig it up and would be happy to share. =) It was a fun coin that just kind of pulled itself together, and was a blast to design.

Im so flattered that everyone likes it as much as they do, and that its become a favorite for many collectors. Thank you all SO much for voting, and Im glad I could be a part in something that so many of you enjoy. =)

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Congratulations to the winners and particularly to those who's personals received high regard. I know a lot of those personals were huge leaps of faith and they're the reason I took my own chances and have been making coins ever since. All these nominees and many others who may never have made a coin, but always supoorted us are the reason I continue to design. Thank you for being a very special part of my life :)

I am curious what criteria you used to come up with pre-2008, the reason being that I have always considered 2001 - 2004 the platinum age of coins (pretrackables save a couple), 2005- the golden era (start of trackables) and 2006 the silver era. The mint production quality got much better in 2007so I consider 2007-now as the modern era... :)