Car Travel Bug Tracking System Changes

Celtic Seekers

Since becoming a geocacher a few months ago I have found a few Travel Bugs and thought it would be fun to put one on my car as I travel around a lot.

Having just activated a Magnetic Car travel bug I have noticed that they track differently to dog tag travel bugs that move from cache to cache as the car ones do not leave your possession. This means that there is no way to log or see the Car TB's travels on a map as people can only discover it and not move it around to others caches.

Is it possible to somehow add additional drop down options when logging this type of bug which could include "seen it" which would then enable the cacher to input the co-ords or place name of where they saw the travel bug.

I have just been looking at other posting regarding this and people have been talking about logging their Car TB into caches or "Dipping" their Car TB, This is fine but Car TB can be spotted anywhere not just near caches.

I think this would be a good way forward for this type of TB.

What do other people think???

You can log your car into and out of caches you visit, others can "discover" (same as 'seen it') your car. You can't track discovereds on a map, because there are no cache coordinates to log it in and out of. Adding an option to map it wherever it goes strays away from geocaching even more than the vehicle TB already does.

Is it possible to somehow add additional drop down options when logging this type of bug which could include "seen it" which would then enable the cacher to input the co-ords or place name of where they saw the travel bug.

This has been discussed over in the website forum and it's on the list of things gc.com will consider. No ETA.

This has been discussed over in the website forum and it's on the list of things gc.com will consider. No ETA.

You can log your car into and out of caches you visit, others can "discover" (same as 'seen it') your car. You can't track discovereds on a map, because there are no cache coordinates to log it in and out of. Adding an option to map it wherever it goes strays away from geocaching even more than the vehicle TB already does.

All you have to do is "dip" (use the visited option) it in any cache you find along the way. At the top of the list of geocaches that you have visited is a link to "map it".