Reporting to the NGS

Bilder

I have found a number of benchmarks that have not been reported for nearly 30 years. Very few up here have any notes after 1975.

Should I report them or would it be better to only report ones that are older than that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Well... I report all my finds although there are some that don't. A lot that I have found here haven't been found in over 40+ years so many landmarks have changed. If I were you, I would report them, but I would post very good 'To Reach' descriptions that were accurate and would help prevent the professionalism (is that a word?) that we benchmarkers strive to achieve. Cheers!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

I agree with jeff35080; if they are that old, a formal Recovery Report would be of some benefit to NOAA. I consider 30 years to be a good time period, although a lot depends upon if the thing has had several visits, and if the area has changed a lot. If the last visit was six years ago, but a lot of construction has taken place and the road has been re-aligned, a new Recovery might be merited.

My first Recovery Report (LU1429) was just added to the Official History of the control; see my thread "The System really does work". I added the current datasheet, too. While this isn't the best report they've ever gotten, I'm sure, I tried to use the same basic "tone" that is used by the NGS and others. If you can make corrections to the To Reach and/or Description, rather than writing a whole new one, so much the better; that's what I did. And if you don't need to say anything extra, then don't. Just be sure to use the GEOCAC agency, and add your initials; it does the ego good, trust me icon_wink.gif

So many caches; so few pairs of decent shoes

Well I put my foot into it and reported all the ones that have not been found for awhile.

Nest thing you know we will be called on to go to Iraq and reover BM's there. icon_biggrin.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

The NGS form says "If the data sheet for this mark shows a recovery within the past 12 months and the status has not changed, please do not report it.".

This wording of this statement implies to me that they accept a report on a PID each year (OK, 13 months) whether or not anything has changed. I found this puzzling so I emailed Deb about a year ago and she confirmed - once a year.

This seems a bit much to me, and if I were them, I'd toss out (not assimilate in the database) reports that didn't add any useful information unless the most recent was X years old (and maybe they are). But as far as I can tell, X=1. Imagine some PID printouts being several pages of: 1980 It's there. 1981 It's there. 1982 It's there. 1983 It's there.....

I've never read anything official other than X=1 year. People guess at 10 years, 30 years, 5 years, etc. Perhaps NGS could give us a better number here, or a GEOCAC version or something. icon_smile.gif

In searching for control points or bench marks on the NGS site, I list all the marks within a certain radius of my project. If I find one that is near my site, but unrecovered for many years, I will extend my search further, in case the one near my project is gone.

Therefore, it is helpful to know if a mark has been recovered recently.

Personally, I will not file a Recovery Note if one has been filed within 2 or so years, unless some of the details of the location have changed.

If it has been 3 or more years, I will file a recovery note. I do not have to add any details to the record, just check the box describing the condition.

In some cases, even once a year may not be often enough. Two years ago, there were a number of BMs located in bridge abutments along I-25. Then the highway was widened and all the bridges replaced. Noone ever logged the BMs as being destroyed and they are still carried in the database. Since I didn't actually witness the destruction of the BMs, I can only log them now as Not Found although I know better.

1950 Surveyor