Magellin vs. garmin

salisbury hill

Tough question to answer....

The triton is accurate enough and can show you most of the cache listing details but are a pain to use and have a bad reputation for support.

The eTrex summit (does it have an "HC" after it????) - if the HC model - it is a fine unit for Geocaching put cannot show you listing page details. Small, easy to use and time tested. If it is not the HC model - then steer clear of it.

I have the Vista CX and Vista. Both are great and lead me right to the coordinates. Most handheld GPS units will work great. What StarBrand is referring to is paperless caching. This means that the cache hint page is also on your GPS unit. There is nothing wrong with printing them out or coping and pasting them to a word document for your PDA or other type handheld gadget.

I just looked up the specs on the two. You don't want the basic eTrex Summit. Make sure it is the Summit HC. The difference is in the fact that on the base model you cannot upgrade the maps at all. With the Triton300 or eTrex Summit HC you can load different maps including the USGS 24k topographical maps. This is an important feature when choosing a GPS make sure you can upgrade or load different maps on the units.

Have a triton 300 and an etrex summit which are close in price.

Can anyone tell me which are best for geocaching.

Thanks.

Gabe

trust me when i say this i gotten the triton at first and than it didnt work trying to find geocaching,so i to0k it back and goten a bushnell that didnt work so i to0k it back and now i have Garmin eTrex Vista its the best finding geocaching i say go with the GARMIN eTrex Vista †

Have a triton 300 and an etrex summit which are close in price.

Can anyone tell me which are best for geocaching.

Thanks.

Gabe

Load both up with the same caches and take them out at the same time. Compare them to see how accurate they are when you get closer to a cache. Determine if one or both have paperless caching features and if so, how much information is at your fingertips. Try using the T300 with Magellan's free Vantage Point software. Try and see if the etrex summit works with Garmin's free Base Camp software.

Magellan is re-launching their eXplorist units with geocaching in mind, Full details will be out March 22. The unit has paperless caching capabilities, easy to use plug into computer, drop drag files and out the door you go (descriptions, hints, recent logs, attributes, you can log your find and notes) You may want to wait til next week for more info before making a choice now.

Edited by hidnseek

I started with a triton was and still am very happy with its performance

I didnt like having to down load the gpx file then transferring it to a program. then loading it into the gpsr.

The tritons are paperless caching units

I went to a garmin because of it ease of use

just a click and the loc file goes strait to the gpsr.

of course no descriptions or hints with the low end garmins