Sudden increase in caches in the UK?

I've got a PQ which I never run, but only use as an advanced search. It displays all caches placed in the last week. When I frst set it up about a month ago, it was capturing all the new caches in the country, about 350. Recently, though, it's been much higher, maxing out at 500 before it even reaches York from my home in Wiltshire.

To investigate this, I had a look on the map view. Turns out there's a series of 36 caches in London, two series each of 21 caches near Wrexham, and a massive series of 106 caches down by Barnstaple.

So is the sudden increase in caches due to these intensive series or more due to higher cache density? (not that I'm complaining - more caches = more fun! :) )

You'll find there are seasonal trends, add in the sever weather we've just had and the number of submissions was unusually low. We are now heading into the normal seasonal high. We're not into full swing just yet :) . I'm just wondering if we're going to be even busier than we were last year around Mid year.

Deci

I think there's also a lot more new members due to the recent publicity of geocaching in the media. I think 6 or 7 new caches have popped up in my immediate vicinity by relatively new members.
I have 14 new ones within ten miles since 1st March, late January time I had 5 still to find within 10 miles of home, I currently have 37 under ten miles from home. The one benefit is it will cut my travelling as the price of diesel goes up again. :)

Maybe the iPhone app is playing a part as well. It introduced me to geocaching.

plus one to this thats why I am doing it, wanted a crack for ages but could not justify 90 plus quid just to have a try. So the iphone app was great for me ( had the lite version for my first find but upgraded to the full version straight after)