OS Maps

We have quite a few OS Explorer maps for various areas around the country and find them quite invaluable. We need a new one for our forthcoming break in the Forest of Dean as our existing one is quite battered and bruised. Would anyone recommend the Active map against the normal paper one?

I've a large collection of the paper Landranger and Explorer maps but haven't used them for ages. I've got Memory Map on my PC and can transfer the maps to my PDA so I've always got a map with me. This normally works with any Windows mobile based device including smart phones.

Other things you can do with a PC based map program: Draw routes and tracks, add waypoints, transfer pocket queries to the map and transfer all this into your GPS*.

You can print an A4 map out to take with you on a walk.

Note that you CANNOT transfer memory maps into a Garmin GPS. They are not supported.

To get OS Maps on a Garmin you need the GB Discoverer maps and these work on the Oregon, Dakota and Colorado.

The downside is the cost. They don't come cheap. Memory Map for the regions (Wales, Southern England etc) are £50 each. For half the UK (north or south) it is £130.

GB Discoverer for the Garmin is £120 for half the UK.

I love maps anyway and get great enjoyment out of having the maps on my PC. If you want an OS map to display on the cache page rather than the Google map then you can install a simple script for the Firefox web browser. Click here for more information.

Chris (MrB)

*If you want to see how to go 'paperless' with Memory Map and a PDA then click here for my resource website.

As a question then on from this, if I upgraded my reliable garmin III to something newer like a colorado or 60csx (which I fancy) when I then downloaded from gsak, does it have the hints and logs and cache page as well, as at the mo I only get co-ords. (i do have a small pda but cant read it out in the field without my glasses) so I still print the pages off.

Also in order to get maps on the newer garmin would I have to buy something else, or are the os maps and footpaths on them?

If not I cant see why I would change from my old garmin, as although simple, using it and the above wheres the path program, seems to give me the same. Or am I really missing something.

As a question then on from this, if I upgraded my reliable garmin III to something newer like a colorado or 60csx (which I fancy) when I then downloaded from gsak, does it have the hints and logs and cache page as well, as at the mo I only get co-ords. (i do have a small pda but cant read it out in the field without my glasses) so I still print the pages off.

Also in order to get maps on the newer garmin would I have to buy something else, or are the os maps and footpaths on them?

If not I cant see why I would change from my old garmin, as although simple, using it and the above wheres the path program, seems to give me the same. Or am I really missing something.

Yes. Use the right %codes/settings to give you what you want.

(It can be a long explanation, too long for this thread!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Someone else will have to tell you about the Colorado, but as far as the 60CSx is concerned, you can get the full hint but it's a bit 'fiddly'. If the first 80 characters are enough for you then it's a little less so. You can't download the logs or the cache page.

I think OS is still selling 3 for 2 on maps if you were interested in more than one/ other regions. (Just bought some last week, haven't arrived yet.) If not, I saw another site which sells them individually for a third off.

I have a map holder but its annoying to have to keep taking the map out as you get to the edge.

you can download hints, description and logs on the Oregon 300 but only as a Premium Member. With basic membership, you just get 'upgrade you membership to receive this information'.

Edited by Fianccetto

You don't need GSAK for the Oregon/Colorado/Dakota as you can put the PQ GPX files straight into it. You get all the cache information (except images) including description, hint and logs. Simples. You can of course use the GSAK macro to export your PQ to the GPS but personally I don't bother.

As for maps on any 'mapping' Garmin there are several choices. Garmin's own Topo maps which are no where near as detailed as the OS maps and quite expensive, OpenStreetMaps which are about the same detail as the Topo maps but are free and the OS GB Discoverer maps (full OS maps 1:50K and 1:25K) specifically for the Oregon/Colorado/Dakota but again these are pricey - but very good. I've got Southern England/Wales on my Oregon and it covers from the south all the way up to a line from Blackpool across to the top of Norfolk.

Chris (MrB)

Thanks for all the help.

Regarding Memory Map, it is of no help to me as I have an etrex with no immediate intention of upgrading to anything else. Also don't own any type of PDA or other windows mobile type device.

I have ordered an Active map. Thanks Reddeeps.

I also think it is nice to open out a map and see the whole picture. As I am an early riser (compared to my other half!!), while away I will plan our days walking that morning with the map opened out in front of me while enjoying a nice cup of coffee!!!!

Thanks for all the help.

Regarding Memory Map, it is of no help to me as I have an etrex with no immediate intention of upgrading to anything else. Also don't own any type of PDA or other windows mobile type device.

I have ordered an Active map. Thanks Reddeeps.

I also think it is nice to open out a map and see the whole picture. As I am an early riser (compared to my other half!!), while away I will plan our days walking that morning with the map opened out in front of me while enjoying a nice cup of coffee!!!!

Why do you think MM is of no use to you? I started off with a yellow etrex, but also had Memory Map. Just imagine still being able to see the whole picture, but then being able to create routes and waypoints by clicking a few buttons. The routes then magically being transferred to your GPS. You'll also be able to print off the bits of map you need with notes and routes and anything else you may need. Buy a cheap laminator and you'll have your Active Map - but custom made.

But surely you can do that via the link I provided for wheres the path above, without spending on memory map. (although I do use gsak)

The answer would seem to be yes you can and it works quite well. But there is the problem that this site shares with others that use the data from the OS 'live'..... and this was only after a few clicks and upload of a GPX file!

Chris (MrB)

bc9524d3-f323-4475-8a0d-bade96ef4609.jpg8a6ec684-c8ff-48d2-b871-03031c508170.jpg

Give Trekbuddy combined with Mobile Atlas Creator (google will get you the web addressed) a try. It'll work on pretty much any phone. You need GPS (Internal or bluetooth) for the navigation side, but it gives you the cache details and hint plus pretty much any maps you might want with a little fiddling.

Not great for actually finding the caches, but give you OS Maps and can overlay caches on it.

Oh dear MrB, sorry that happened, I must have been lucky as not seen that before, although it can be tempermental at uploading sometimes. Some caches it just wont accept and i get a file too large message, but its normally only caused by one cache, so it can be time consuming finding which one it is. But now you have warned me I will make sure I use it early in the morning or well in advance of when I need the map.

I'm just wierd maybe as I still buy the os map, but dont like writing on them, hence why I like just putting the points on one I print off (and then laminate lol) so I can use it as we walk. But like the idea of just having the proper os map as well. Its a map thing, I must have a bit of a fetish about them.

But like the idea of just having the proper os map as well. Its a map thing, I must have a bit of a fetish about them.

Quite right, perfectly healthy. ;)

I have a full set of 1:50Ks

Yup, I spend hours sometimes just navigating round Memory Map... there is something about maps!!

So, where is that 1km square on the 1:50K maps which is white - nothing in it, no features or anything?

Chris (MrB)

So, where is that 1km square on the 1:50K maps which is white - nothing in it, no features or anything?

Chris (MrB)

It's grid reference SE8322 and there used to be a cache there called "The most boring cache in Britain!" GCMV4N

Edited by snerdbe

Chris (MrB)

It's grid reference SE8322 and there used to be a cache there called "The most boring cache in Britain!" GCMV4N

What a pity that cache has been archived. :laughing: It was a worthwhile spot, IMO...

Come on cachers of the NE, raise the profile of this boring spot to "not quite so boring" once more -

Put a cache back there again!

MrsB ;)

What a pity that cache has been archived. :laughing: It was a worthwhile spot, IMO...

Come on cachers of the NE, raise the profile of this boring spot to "not quite so boring" once more -

Put a cache back there again!

MrsB ;)

Hear! Hear!

Love maps!

Got the discover series on the Oregon which are great and cover us for 95% of the time. In the past I've also printed maps off MM and laminated them double sided into smallish squares so they don't get soggy on the trail. Have the advangtage that they can be blown up bigger than paper maps and also can be reused.

I don't buy OS paper maps so much any more although we do have a collection of our favourite spots although I think the active maps are a great idea if you intend to use a map a lot.

I'm in the process of moving office at work and one of the first thinks I arranged for the office wall was perspex covered floor to ceiling OS map of the area we cover. I could stare maps for hours - I am that sad!!

We have quite a few OS Explorer maps for various areas around the country and find them quite invaluable. We need a new one for our forthcoming break in the Forest of Dean as our existing one is quite battered and bruised. Would anyone recommend the Active map against the normal paper one?

Battered and bruised means, used and abused ;) ... This is a great thing means you have been out having fun :laughing:

My First new Forest map was a paper one, lasted 1 year my second was a waterproof one still going strong after several years.

If I am visiting an area more than once I buy water proof if its more a one off I buy paper...

I have a box of maps that I try and keep battered and abused :unsure:

I now have an Oregon great for maps, just I now tend to down load and not buy paper maps...

Love maps!

Got the discover series on the Oregon which are great and cover us for 95% of the time. In the past I've also printed maps off MM and laminated them double sided into smallish squares so they don't get soggy on the trail. Have the advangtage that they can be blown up bigger than paper maps and also can be reused.

I don't buy OS paper maps so much any more although we do have a collection of our favourite spots although I think the active maps are a great idea if you intend to use a map a lot.

I'm in the process of moving office at work and one of the first thinks I arranged for the office wall was perspex covered floor to ceiling OS map of the area we cover. I could stare maps for hours - I am that sad!!

Hmm... OS Wallpaper... You could be onto something here! :ph34r: Not sure the other half would approve though :surprise:

Jon

I have to say, as a Scout Leader (Explorer Section) and having come up through the movement since i was 6, I find the idea of electronic mapping great, but you won't catch me out on a hike withough my OS explorer map in its case, and my silva compass round my neck. Caching I'll have a GPS with OSM on it, but my main navigation will be done with the OS map.

How else can you take reasonable long distance bearings with only a few inches of screen? Yep the GPS can do it, but batteries die and your shot.

I use MM, mainly for planning competition hikes within scouting. Its great for plotting routes etc, and sending out prints of the locations of each checkpoint etc etc. Printing out the smaller areas and laminating them is great.

That said, you can't beat a map in a map case. I have tried the laminate versions, and personally hate them. You can't fold them as well, and when you do fold them without following the premade folds I found the laminate would crease. Not only that, as earlier mentioned, a map case is far cheaper than buying a set of the laminated maps!

Each to thier own though, we all have our ways of doing things.