other trackable items

bozoo

Hi,

I don't hunt for caches too often but still, I like that. But the thing that fascinates me really much are trackable items. I saw people hiding items other than Groundspeak travelbugs - i.e. items tracked at some other websites, like geokrety.org. My question is, are such trackables allowed in Groundspeak's geocaches, are they welcome? And will other geocachers be willing to proceed them with their "special handling" (to log them on their own log website, instead on Groundspeak's one)?

Hi,

I don't hunt for caches too often but still, I like that. But the thing that fascinates me really much are trackable items. I saw people hiding items other than Groundspeak travelbugs - i.e. items tracked at some other websites, like geokrety.org. My question is, are such trackables allowed in Groundspeak's geocaches, are they welcome? And will other geocachers be willing to proceed them with their "special handling" (to log them on their own log website, instead on Groundspeak's one)?

Hi!

To answer your question, yes, they are allowed in ALL geocaches (as long as the cache is big enough to hold them)!

The other part of your question is simply up to the finder, if he/she wants to help move these "other brand" TBs!

I personally, even though I have in the past, hate when I have to sign up on another website, give my email addy out, create a username, wait for confirmation emails, etc, etc. in order to log ONE TB!

I had to do this not long ago with a coin that I found, that had been hidden far away from human life for a very long time!

In this case, I didnt mind b/c I knew this coin had fallen into a cache that doesnt get seen very often and that the owner probably thought it was lost or stolen!

But, in other cases, I usually dont bother with TBs that cant be looked at in Groundspeak!

Just my .02!

Hi,

Hi!

To answer your question, yes, they are allowed in ALL geocaches (as long as the cache is big enough to hold them)!

The other part of your question is simply up to the finder, if he/she wants to help move these "other brand" TBs!

I personally, even though I have in the past, hate when I have to sign up on another website, give my email addy out, create a username, wait for confirmation emails, etc, etc. in order to log ONE TB!

I had to do this not long ago with a coin that I found, that had been hidden far away from human life for a very long time!

In this case, I didnt mind b/c I knew this coin had fallen into a cache that doesnt get seen very often and that the owner probably thought it was lost or stolen!

But, in other cases, I usually dont bother with TBs that cant be looked at in Groundspeak!

Just my .02!

At geokrety.org you do not need to register nor log in to be able to log pickup/drop of an item. Do you think it would be helpful to add this info on item's label, so that the finder knows in advance? Would you be likely to move such an item if you know?

I'm mostly interested in the mentioned brand, because it's most popular in my country, but I also would like my item travel worldwide.

Edited by bozoo

At geokrety.org you do not need to register nor log in to be able to log pickup/drop of an item. Do you think it would be helpful to add this info on item's label, so that the finder knows in advance? Would you be likely to move such an item if you know?

That information would make a big difference.

Looking at the the site, it doesn't seem too difficult to log one.

My question is, are such trackables allowed in Groundspeak's geocaches, are they welcome?
It's worth noting that they are not "Groundspeak's geocaches". Groundspeak just provides a listing service that geocache owners can use to publicize their geocaches. There are other listing services, and some caches are listed with more than one listing service.
My question is, are such trackables allowed in Groundspeak's geocaches, are they welcome?
It's worth noting that they are not "Groundspeak's geocaches". Groundspeak just provides a listing service that geocache owners can use to publicize their geocaches. There are other listing services, and some caches are listed with more than one listing service.

Great. I was affraid they might be considered as intruders and unwelcome. Now I will not hesitate to mix different brands of trackables with different brands of caches :wub: Thanks.

Great. I was affraid they might be considered as intruders and unwelcome. Now I will not hesitate to mix different brands of trackables with different brands of caches :wub: Thanks.

I took a look at that website. I wonder if anyone in the US is using those?

Great. I was affraid they might be considered as intruders and unwelcome. Now I will not hesitate to mix different brands of trackables with different brands of caches :anibad: Thanks.

I took a look at that website. I wonder if anyone in the US is using those?

I don't know but people from my country travel worldwide and so geokrety travel with them too :smile: Besides, it's a way cheaper version than Groundspeak's one, as you generate the label on line and print it yourself - you do not need to buy a tag...

I don't know but people from my country travel worldwide and so geokrety travel with them too :anibad: Besides, it's a way cheaper version than Groundspeak's one, as you generate the label on line and print it yourself - you do not need to buy a tag...

Neat. But just what is wrong with buying an "expensive" Groundspeak something to support the site whose services you are utilizing? Hmmmmm?

I have recently tried to log one of these other coins recently, it looks easy but its not. these other sites are not so friendly to use.

I will move along these other trackables, because you dont always know what they are until you try and log them. So if i cant log them they go into the next cache, its a shame because it probably messes their mileage up.

Neat. But just what is wrong with buying an "expensive" Groundspeak something to support the site whose services you are utilizing? Hmmmmm?

Absolutely nothing wrong. But just what is wrong with choosing not to? Hmmmmm? ;)

Like niraD pointed out, it is not Groundspeak's caches. So go ahead and drop your trackable item, assuming that it is not otherwise inappropriate (i.e. attracts animals, dangerous, etc). Just don't expect many people to take the effort to go to another site to log it. What you get for the extra $ for a Groundspeak tracking number (other than supporting the site) is the convenience.

I've always been appreciative when I find a trackable that has a "passport" a statement of its travel objectives. Helps me decide weather to grab or discover it. Instructions on how to log ay an alternative site coould be added as well. personally I have never encountered a TB that wasn't tracked at Groundspeak.