People who mark found when its a DNF

Has anyone else had the problem of someone logging a find and then when you read the log they say " I know I was in the right place... it must be missing so I logged it as a find". How do they know it was the right place????

the only "found" logs i've seen from people who didn't find the cache was when they mistakenly selected the wrong log type, and all of those came back and edited the log to say DNF afterwards. (that happened to me too once or twice.)

personally i would delete such logs from my own cache listings, even if the cache actually was missing. if the cache ain't there, then you didn't find it, and that's a DNF and nothing else.

Edited by dfx

Has anyone else had the problem of someone logging a find and then when you read the log they say " I know I was in the right place... it must be missing so I logged it as a find". How do they know it was the right place????

That or posting a Needs Maintainence because it is missing because they could not find it.......

Is anyone that perfect that they could not possibly miss one????? :D

That is hilarious. If I ever get a log like that I would delete it. period. no hesitation. I would invite the to log a DNF and a NM if they think that will make them feel better.

That is hilarious. If I ever get a log like that I would delete it. period. no hesitation. I would invite the to log a DNF and a NM if they think that will make them feel better.

Concur.

At least have the common courtesy to lie to me if you are going to log a find.

Have a look at this one. Read the cache description, not the logs.

GC1RP81

Edited by HeliDood

Yeah, that would be a dig ol' delete if it happened on my cache.

Just delete the log.

Just heared from a friend a young cacher logged one of his caches without finding it. He didn't know the cache was moved a couple of meters since the last time it was ripped. His father (also cacher and found the cache months before at the old location) had warned him not to log it as a find. Of course the log was deleted.

If the cache owner allows you to log it as a find, that's a different story.

Yep. These are the same people who score a 6 on miniature golf but write down a 3... they always seem to score below par... :)

That's not cool. I wish people wouldn't do that. I'd probably delete the log.

(Now children, put on your troll-vision goggles and re-read the post.)

Great Odin's beard, this ENRAGES ME! You should track these people down and bully them into mending their evil ways!! Perhaps they should change the guidelines so that anybody caught doing this would be punished in a court of law!!

As a CO, I'll allow someone to change a DNF to a Found if I determine that my cache has in fact gone missing and would have been found if it was there. No need for them to go back a second time. Each time I've done this, the cacher has added a new log with a note saying that I have given them permission to log it as a Find and of course I replace the cache immediately.

Thankfully no one has posted a Found on a cache of mine that has gone missing.

As a CO, I'll allow someone to change a DNF to a Found if I determine that my cache has in fact gone missing and would have been found if it was there. No need for them to go back a second time. Each time I've done this, the cacher has added a new log with a note saying that I have given them permission to log it as a Find and of course I replace the cache immediately.

That's between you and them, I guess.

However, how could they find something that wasn't there?

It was missing, and that's all there is to it.

Yes, they need to re-visit the site and sign the log once the cache is replaced.

Of course, some cachers will log finds on archived caches with absentee owners, too.

Yes, they need to re-visit the site and sign the log once the cache is replaced.

well if you're going strictly by that definition, then this:

Of course, some cachers will log finds on archived caches with absentee owners, too.

should be ok, because they found the cache and therefore it's a "find", right?

I too have ok'd a cacher to change a DNF to a found if I see that the cache has gone missing. I normally check my caches after a couple of DNF's. In those cases the cachers have thanks but Ill just find it next time.

I have had a few cachers log finds on caches that have indeed been missing & have been disabled because I had to replace them. I sent them a note telling them that the cache had been disabled for X amount of time & I think they made a mistake in logging a find & would they please correct there error.If they dont I delete it. Fortunately its only happened a few times.

Well, yes...if the cache is still there.

But, I was suggesting that some will log caches that are no longer existent, but the owner is not around to delete question the bogus log.

Why would you argue with that? All he said is that "some cachers will". I don't see anything that says that he agrees that they should! Lighten up, OK? We have enough static around here without inventing it.

Why would you argue with that? All he said is that "some cachers will". I don't see anything that says that he agrees that they should! Lighten up, OK? We have enough static around here without inventing it.

i know that he doesn't agree that they should, that's exactly the point. following his own reasoning, he should agree that logging archived caches is ok.

either you think that "signing physical log" = "found log online" and "not signing physical log" = "no found log online", or you don't. i misunderstood his original post that i thought he'd agree with the second part, but not with the first part, which is illogical. but he already clarified that :anibad:

That's between you and them, I guess.

If cache owner says "Go ahead a log a find on my cache because I've determined it was in fact missing," how does that effect you? You are free to respond "No, I didn't find the cache so I will not log it as found until I go back and sign the log in the replacement cache." A cache owner isn't able to force anyone to log a find. They can't even force someone who signed the log to log a find online, so how can they force you to log a find if you haven't signed the log. The most they can do is delete your DNF (and, who knows, you might be able to appeal to get that restored).

Perhaps the cache owner is "rewarding" the cacher for posting the DNF to let him know the cache might be missing. See the thread on when you should log a DNF. Perhaps the cache owner feels guilty that he hadn't maintaind his cache and let it go missing and is now allowing the find as some kind of apology to the person who looked for it. Or perhaps the caches owner simply feels the logger had gone to the site they were intended to go to, had looked in the right place for the cache, and because it was missing didn't find it - and for this cache owner this is equivalent to having found the cache if it were actually there.

I understand the puritan ideal that you haven't found something, and in fact when I've been offered to change a DNF to a find I have refused (Except in one case a long time ago, when it was still possible for an owner to change the type of the cache after it was approved. There, after I DNF'd the cache, the owner changed it to a virtual and I was able to post the required photograph to claim a find.) And I can even agree that none of the reasons why I gave for a cache owner to allow this are all that compelling (And why I have never offerred someone the right to log a cache of mine even if I confirmed that the cache was missing). But I certainly am not going say that doing so is cheating or violates any guidelines on the site. It is in fact, entirely between the cache owner and the person logging to decide if this is allowed.

I have an experience from about a month ago that is exactly the opposite.

I found an ammo can at a rest area. It had become frozen in place so I couldn't remove it. I used a stick to try to pry it open, but the sticks kept breaking. I tried leaving it in place and just opening it. Unfortunately, it was placed in such a way that the latch was against a knob in the stump. I couldn't get it open. (I only tried for a few minutes; it was very cold, and I had someplace to be.) Therefore I never signed the log. The first "rule" (or is it second, or third) of Geocaching is to sign the log to get the smiley. I took a picture of it and had planned to send it to CO with an explanation and see if he/she would allow it as a find, but I forgot until a week and a half later, and decided the time had passed. I'll probably be back in that area again, and it will be an easy find for me then. :D While I was pulling on to the freeway, I thought should have tried kicking it out, but that thought didn't occur to me while I was shivering.

So I marked DNF when in fact I actually found it.

Concur.

At least have the common courtesy to lie to me if you are going to log a find.

Found it easily but didn't sign log - it was freezing! TFTH

If they had just lied I'd have never known, but as it is, I deleted the log.

I am relatively new to this. (5finds 1DNF) One of those finds is a revisit to a DNF. I am proud to say that I went back more determined. And Likewise I logged a DNF the other day in a tunnel underground (GC1HV5P) cause i put in 30 minutes of slogging in 5-6 inch cold mud/water looking for it. I am not proud that someone found it only a couple days after me but.....I'm not gonna claim I found the cache cause I was in the tunnel. If that was the case I could just get online and log finds on every cache in a parking lot I have been to. These people just don't get it. I hope when I become a CO I don't run into them. Sorry to hear yall have.