distance between caches...

sudamar

Could someone please tell me how to find the distance between caches, or a hidden cache and one you want to hide. I just had one turned down because it was 421 feet from another cache. Apparently there is a search function that tells you the distance....but I can't find it. Thanks. :D

Could someone please tell me how to find the distance between caches, or a hidden cache and one you want to hide. I just had one turned down because it was 421 feet from another cache. Apparently there is a search function that tells you the distance....but I can't find it. Thanks. :D

I like to use Google Earth for measurements. Also, if you have the coords of the one nearby then (while at the new cache site) you can use your handheld to figure the distance you are from that particular cache.

The easiest way is to put the nearby caches in your GPS and when you get to where you want to hide it, look at nearest caches to see if any are closer than 0.1 mile. However, if you have any mystery caches or multis in the area, you may have to find them to see where they're located, too.

i'm not aware of a search function that tells you the distance between caches

i can tell you how we do it....we have all caches loaded in the GPS, found and not found, and while at the spot you want to place yours we check to see if anything else is within the allowed distance

also you could look at google map when you pick your spot and you will see what's in the proximity ahead of time and decide if its a good place or not

bare in mind that you will not see the final for a multi or a mystery

in such case either you do the cache and find the final yourself to determine if your will be too close or ask the reviewer to confirm your coordinates