Can't decide: Oregon 400t, 450 or Dakota 20

Yep, wanna go paperless....have a Legend HCX but really would like to upgrade to not carry my iTouch out in the woods...They are all about the same price on Amazon right now. Any strong feelings about one over another...I am certainly having trouble trying to decide.

we just bought a 400t today, we love it so far! super easy to use and download caches, it even has a geocaching app right on it!

if you have a EMS near you go check them out, we got ours on clearance for $300 it was the last one

Yep, wanna go paperless....have a Legend HCX but really would like to upgrade to not carry my iTouch out in the woods...They are all about the same price on Amazon right now. Any strong feelings about one over another...I am certainly having trouble trying to decide.

I have an Oregon 300 which is the 400t minus the maps. I like it very much. However, if you have the choice I would go for the 450. It has a better screen, and the 3D-compass is far superior to the compass on the 400t or 300.

OldA'sFan

Stay clear of the Oregon 200/300/400 series. Rather go for the 450. Garmin have stopped production of the x00 units and have not made the most recent firmware upgrades (available for the 450/550) available for the x00 series. They have not officially confirmed that they are no longer developing the x00 series firmware, but when questioned directly would not deny it either.

I have an Oregon 300 which is the 400t minus the maps. I like it very much. However, if you have the choice I would go for the 450. It has a better screen, and the 3D-compass is far superior to the compass on the 400t or 300.

What he said.

You can always get free maps, or Garmin's regional 24k topo maps.

I have both the 20 and the 450. And love them both. The paperless feature is a must for me. Less stuff to haul around in the field.

The 450 has a better screen than the 20. Larger, better resolution. I use my units for auto navigation occasionally and when mounted to the windshield, the 450 is easier to read/brighter in sunlight. They both do well when plugged in to USB power.

Plus the new 'Wherigo' thing is beginning to intrigue me?? The 450 has this, the 20 doesn't.

3 axis compass is nice but not a selling/buying point to me.

If you have the bucks, I would go for the 450. Only about $40-50 in most outlets. I paid 369 on Amazon for the 450. Shipping paid.

You will enjoy either one of them. Still have my vista cx, 60csx. Haven't picked them up since I got the other two units.

My official non-scientific comparison:

Both units, no back light on. Mounted in Garmin windshield mount. 20 just plain difficult to see. 450 better and readable. But not as bright as either vista cx or 60csx.

With usb power (backlight on max) to 450 & 20. Both are very good but 450 still brighter than the 20.

Palser-

PS Starbrand, get a hold of me when you have your 200 with you and I bring the 450 over for you to compare.

Out of curiosity how do you take the ipod touch out in the woods? you got wi-fi in your woods? Or did ya mean the iphone? I use a oregon 450 and still take the iphone out in the field all the time... just LOVE LOVE LOVE the geocache app

Out of curiosity how do you take the ipod touch out in the woods? you got wi-fi in your woods? Or did ya mean the iphone? I use a oregon 450 and still take the iphone out in the field all the time... just LOVE LOVE LOVE the geocache app

He probably uses it just like everyone else with a Palm does. Just loads the cache info in so its saved on the device itself. No internet required, thats how I do it with my iPhone since I'm out of service all the time.

The 450 is a nice unit. Can get maps for it off the internet. I haven't, as I have access to Topo2008. Also, check Garmin's site as there is a mail in rebate of $50 on it, not the 400. Rebate is for Oregon 450, 450t, 550, 550t, and Dakota 10 and 20. I don't know if you factored that into your pricing or not, but it's worth the mention. Amazon is NOT included in the rebate though. Can get similar/better pricing at other suppliers.

The 450 is a nice unit. Can get maps for it off the internet. I haven't, as I have access to Topo2008.

Just in case you didn't know, you can get more detailed maps for free at http://gpsfiledepot.com.

That was the site I was thinking of. Thanx for the tip though. As through my researching and browsing, I saw a post pointing to that site. So maybe your post will benefit yet another. :grin: