10th Anniversary events? Do you plan to attend?

avroair

So, what about those of us who have to work both days, 12+ hours a day? Anyone planning an early-morning or a late-night event in the Colorado Springs area, say at 6 AM or 9 PM? Seems a bit unfair to me, not only due to the icon, but that I can't celebrate 10 years of Geocaching with everyone else...

i know what you mean... I work 12 hour shifts a lot of weekends and miss a lot of group hikes and events. Fortunately I am off the weekend of this event and this one in Long Island New York is only a few minutes from my house! I'll go and probably hide a few new caches, along with the event host.

Edited by hukilaulau

Where does it say that those who attend the 10 year events will earn the a new icon? I have a read of the page again and it explicitly says that

"Those who attend these events will earn the standard icons" for the 10th anniversary events re the Lacky attended ones, but it does not say that individuals will get or will not get a new icon in their profile for non lackey attened the 10 years! Events.

The other things that is not mentioned is whether these events will have the <Groundspeak:type> field changed in the PQ's. Will they still say "Event' etc or will it change to something else?

10 Years! Events

Anyone can host a 10 Years! Event on either May 1 or May 2, 2010. Be sure to check your local event calendar before submitting one, though: it may already be planned. In addition to the standard event cache Guidelines, there are a few additional guidelines that you will need to follow if you wish your event to qualify for a 10 Years! cache type icon.

Additional Guidelines:

* Events must be held on May 1 or May 2, 2010.

* The name of the event needs to be formatted this way: "10 Years! <your location>." For example: 10 Years! Seattle, WA or 10 Jahre! Munich, Germany.

* At least 10 people must attend the event.

* Flashmobs do not qualify.

* A video or picture must be taken at the event. At least 10 attendees must be in the video/photo along with a legible sign showing the event coordinates and location name.

* The people in the video or photo should be festive. Be inventive! But please keep it family friendly.

If you are interested in hosting a 10 Years! event, you are welcome to submit it as a normal event cache at this time. We will provide details on how to switch the listing to a 10 Years! event soon.

So, what about those of us who have to work both days, 12+ hours a day? Anyone planning an early-morning or a late-night event in the Colorado Springs area, say at 6 AM or 9 PM? Seems a bit unfair to me, not only due to the icon, but that I can't celebrate 10 years of Geocaching with everyone else...

Sometimes working nights and weekends can crimp you social calendar. I've been doing it my whole life too.

No reason you cannot host one that suits your schedule though. Unless you are in a really cacher sparse area I bet they will come out at night. We've had a midnight event on the winter solstice here for the past two years. We've made the Waffle House standing room only both years, and this year the event host even treated us to free bacon!!

Geocachers Exploring Oregon GEOregon is hosting 10 Years! Redland, Oregon on May 1st.

This is the closest event to "The Birthplace of Geocaching". Redland, OR is only 7 minutes from the "Original Stash".

Members of GEO are placing 10 new caches in the area for "10 Caches for 10 Years Challenge". Check out the event page for challenge details.

We will have our unique 10th Anniversary GeoCoin available to purchase at the event and it will also be one of many door prize items.

We hope to see some out-of-area folks, as well as familiar faces in Redland.

Penny Huelat

Geocachers Exploring Oregon

Edited by HuelatPackers

Geocachers Exploring Oregon GEOregon is hosting 10 Years! Redland, Oregon on May 1st.

This is the closest event to "The Birthplace of Geocaching". Redland, OR is only 7 minutes from the "Original Stash".

Members of GEO are placing 10 new caches in the area for "10 Caches for 10 Years Challenge". Check out the event page for challenge details.

"We will have our unique 10th Anniversary GeoCoin available to purchase at the event and it will also be one of many door prize items"

We hope to see some out-of-area folks, as well as familiar faces in Redland.

Penny Huelat

Geocachers Exploring Oregon

We will be attending this one! We are looking forward to the fun event :)

I did a quick banner for our event that a few other people are using. If you want to put it on your event cache page please feel free to use it. It is uploaded to our event page, so you can simply link right to this image.

c3c725ce-1195-4d1d-a22b-52961525ae89.jpg

Thanks, I've added that to my event, 10 Years! Beaverton, Oregon ( http://coord.info/GC25PGT ) that I will be hosting on the west side of the Portland area on the 2nd. I'm also hoping to make the GEOregon event on the 1st.

GC2583V - 10 Years! G.O.T.C.H.A. coming to Hershey. This event location will by far will have the most people in attendance wether they are Cachers or Muggles. I would venture to guess there will be at least 150,000 people (or more) there during May 2nd considering it is the opening weekend for Hersheypark.

Odie

Edited by Odie442

Thanks, I've added that to my event, 10 Years! Beaverton, Oregon ( http://coord.info/GC25PGT ) that I will be hosting on the west side of the Portland area on the 2nd. I'm also hoping to make the GEOregon event on the 1st.

I'll be getting to the GEOregon event on the 1st, not sure about getting to the Beaverton event. The Albany event is drawing my attention as a reason to do a cache-run down 99W and back up I-5 to cache a few more DeLorme pages and Oregon counties.

But since I've spent a year driving around Iraq, I might just cache locally and go to your event instead.

Not sure if anyone knows this, but Groundspeak has created a Bookmark list of all the events that are going on all over the world.

You can find it Here 10 Years! Events

Looks like the Mid West is kinda empty right now.

I'm not sure how often they update the list but I sent an e-mail to them asking about the updating. As soon as I know I will post it here.

Gene G.

Not sure if anyone knows this, but Groundspeak has created a Bookmark list of all the events that are going on all over the world.

You can find it Here 10 Years! Events

Looks like the Mid West is kinda empty right now.

I'm not sure how often they update the list but I sent an e-mail to them asking about the updating. As soon as I know I will post it here.

Gene G.

hmm that's not all of them, looks like it hasn't been updated

I'll be in Vancouver, B.C. during that weekend. I've been scanning the caches there, and haven't noticed an event.

The bookmark list is really difficult to scroll through..

Didn't there used to be an 'Event' forum? ??

If anyone knows of a Vancouver event, please let me know. I'll be in meetings all day.

If there isn't one, I wonder if I could set up a meet-n-greet there...hmmm....

I'll be in Vancouver, B.C. during that weekend. I've been scanning the caches there, and haven't noticed an event.

The bookmark list is really difficult to scroll through..

Didn't there used to be an 'Event' forum? ??

If anyone knows of a Vancouver event, please let me know. I'll be in meetings all day.

If there isn't one, I wonder if I could set up a meet-n-greet there...hmmm....

run a PQ for events only in vancouver

I'm hosting one of the 10yr. events and I am worried that if I keep the name " 10 Years! Berkshire County, MA " it would not be eligible for the icon because it is still not on there 10yr. Events Bookmarks

Should I change the name to "Windsor, MA" to be on the safe side, or am I going to be safe with the original name.

I have cachers looking forward to getting the new icon and don't want them to be disappointed with not being able to get this once in a lifetime icon.

Anyone can host a 10 Years! Event on either May 1 or May 2, 2010.

Additional Guidelines:

* Events must be held on May 1 or May 2, 2010.

* The name of the event needs to be formatted this way: "10 Years! <your location>." For example: 10 Years! Seattle, WA or 10 Jahre! Munich, Germany.

i'm going to host one...

"10 Years! Tibet"

i'm not actually in tibet, but what the heck... :)

Sometimes working nights and weekends can crimp you social calendar. I've been doing it my whole life too.

No reason you cannot host one that suits your schedule though. Unless you are in a really cacher sparse area I bet they will come out at night. We've had a midnight event on the winter solstice here for the past two years. We've made the Waffle House standing room only both years, and this year the event host even treated us to free bacon!!

I'm not sure when they changed it, but events on Friday (the 30th) and Monday (the 3rd), qualify, too.

I'll be hosting one up here in Ukiah California. That's about 2 hours north of San Francisco for those who might be in the area. Come on by, it'll be cool.

I think there may be an event on both days, I'll host one and another guy will have the other.

We're excited to be going to this event. We're going to be in Ukiah for my sister's bridal shower. I grew up in Ukiah, and it will be nice to meet and reconnect with cachers in Ukiah :)

Woot!