10th Anniversary events? Do you plan to attend?

avroair

There are a bunch of 10th Anniversary events being planned all over the world. Are you planning on attending any of them?

Groundspeak info on it: HERE

a1dd234e-f4ec-4e91-8477-46e5c598e3cd.jpg

10 Years! Events

Anyone can host a 10 Years! Event on either May 1 or May 2, 2010. Be sure to check your local event calendar before submitting one, though: it may already be planned. In addition to the standard event cache Guidelines, there are a few additional guidelines that you will need to follow if you wish your event to qualify for a 10 Years! cache type icon.

Additional Guidelines:

* Events must be held on May 1 or May 2, 2010.

* The name of the event needs to be formatted this way: "10 Years! <your location>." For example: 10 Years! Seattle, WA or 10 Jahre! Munich, Germany.

* At least 10 people must attend the event.

* Flashmobs do not qualify.

* A video or picture must be taken at the event. At least 10 attendees must be in the video/photo along with a legible sign showing the event coordinates and location name.

* The people in the video or photo should be festive. Be inventive! But please keep it family friendly.

If you are interested in hosting a 10 Years! event, you are welcome to submit it as a normal event cache at this time. We will provide details on how to switch the listing to a 10 Years! event soon.

Anyone can host a 10 Years! Event on either May 1 or May 2, 2010. Be sure to check your local event calendar before submitting one, though: it may already be planned.

If anyone can host one, are we actually limited to one a region? :D

Nope. But it's a new icon! :(

Anyone can host a 10 Years! Event on either May 1 or May 2, 2010. Be sure to check your local event calendar before submitting one, though: it may already be planned.

If anyone can host one, are we actually limited to one a region? :D

Nope. But it's a new icon! ;)

Exactly! :(

A new icon for the right as well as the left! :(

Where does it say that those who attend the 10 year events will earn the a new icon? I have a read of the page again and it explicitly says that

"Those who attend these events will earn the standard icons" for the 10th anniversary events re the Lacky attended ones, but it does not say that individuals will get or will not get a new icon in their profile for non lackey attened the 10 years! Events.

The other things that is not mentioned is whether these events will have the <Groundspeak:type> field changed in the PQ's. Will they still say "Event' etc or will it change to something else?

Edited by Big Wolf

Why the true date of May 3, it's excluded of the 10 years event guideline? ;)

it's like Independence Day was celebrated only a 2 and 3 July! :anibad:

Guess it would depend on what one is celebrating.

Turning off selective availability May 2.

Placement of first cache May 3.

Geocaching.com going online Sept. 2.

Of course May 1st this year falls on a Saturday :blink:

If you are interested in hosting a 10 Years! event, you are welcome to submit it as a normal event cache at this time. We will provide details on how to switch the listing to a 10 Years! event soon.

please provide some clarification, there has been way too much conflicting information

.....am i supposed to change the name of my event from "10 Years of Geocaching - Golden Triangle Area" to "10 Years! Golden Triangle Area" so it qualifies for the icon?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...67-1f928a0bd93b

also, is the new icon going to be applied instead of the regular event icon?

Edited by t4e

Yup, I'll be visiting the Original Stash Plaque and the UnOriginal Stash before heading over to the 10 Years! Redland, OR event.

My minimal goal for the day:

1 Webcam cache

2 virtuals

2 earth caches

2 unkown caches

10 traditional caches

2 multi-caches

1 letterbox hybrid

1 event cache

For the day ;)

It will be great to see you at the event! I see you have been putting some mileage on that Thunderegg coin :anibad:

please provide some clarification, there has been way too much conflicting information

.....am i supposed to change the name of my event from "10 Years of Geocaching - Golden Triangle Area" to "10 Years! Golden Triangle Area" so it qualifies for the icon?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...67-1f928a0bd93b

also, is the new icon going to be applied instead of the regular event icon?

Yes, you should change the name of your event so it conforms to the naming convention in the latest announcement.

Yes, the new icon will be "applied" instead of the regular event icon if you comply with the rest of the guidelines for a "10 Year!" event.

I know there have been several announcements over the past weeks and that each has had some updated information that seems to contradict the previous ones in some small ways. That's just the way it goes when you are trying to plan the first of a kind world wide celebration.

Keep your ears and eyes open. I sure there will be more announcements in the future, especially pertaining to the new icon.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

So, what about those of us who have to work both days, 12+ hours a day? Anyone planning an early-morning or a late-night event in the Colorado Springs area, say at 6 AM or 9 PM? Seems a bit unfair to me, not only due to the icon, but that I can't celebrate 10 years of Geocaching with everyone else...

So, what about those of us who have to work both days, 12+ hours a day? Anyone planning an early-morning or a late-night event in the Colorado Springs area, say at 6 AM or 9 PM? Seems a bit unfair to me, not only due to the icon, but that I can't celebrate 10 years of Geocaching with everyone else...

You make it kind of tough with those hours but you can certainly hold your own late evening event.

Grand Rapids, MI had an event at 4 a.m. awhile back and I was surprised at the turnout. Crazy what people will do for an event smiley!

You might be surprised at how many will attend an event if you host one. With a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a find on the special new icon I suspect that many are looking to bag more than one find on them.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Maybe see if you can take a day off? That in itself is reason for a party IMO.

I sent out a message to some local cachers to see if anyone already has one planned. If not I'll likely be trying to set one up for the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylania.

Yes there is one for Central Pennsylvania planned. It's "10 Years! G.O.T.C.H.A. Coming to Hershey" GC2583V and is set for May 2nd at Hershey Chocolate World at Hersheypark.

Odie

Maybe see if you can take a day off? That in itself is reason for a party IMO.

Wish I could; the only day off I get during that trip is May 8, the Saturday after. I don't think the people I work for would like me taking off, especially since I'm head of our little slice of the operation. Of course, looking around in the area, there are no events on that date, but there are the weekend before and after. So I'm trying to get one published for May 2 at 2200 at a local park. Let's see if I can get 10 people to show up...

Wish I could; the only day off I get during that trip is May 8, the Saturday after. I don't think the people I work for would like me taking off, especially since I'm head of our little slice of the operation. Of course, looking around in the area, there are no events on that date, but there are the weekend before and after. So I'm trying to get one published for May 2 at 2200 at a local park. Let's see if I can get 10 people to show up...

Ever think about getting a case of the 24 hour flu?