Oregeon 450 locking up

Bodaway

I have been putting gpx files on the sd card in my Oregon 450 and it is causeing it to lockup on startup.

It will work about 75% of the time so I cannot pin it down to a specific cause like file size or number of files.

Anyone else have this problem and how did you correct it?

I have been putting gpx files on the sd card in my Oregon 450 and it is causeing it to lockup on startup.

It will work about 75% of the time so I cannot pin it down to a specific cause like file size or number of files.

What size memory card and what class is it? How much of it are you using? What's the orgin of the gpx file?

Are you using a Mac by any chance? I have found that when using a Mac to manipulate files on the SD card in my Oregon 400t, that if I did not remember to "Empty Trash" before I eject the GPSr from the computer I am more likely to experience a "lockup" than if I don't. When I remember to "Empty Trash" it almost never has one of the lockups, but if I forget, its about a 50/50 chance...

Just put the files on the device.

Yep I could do that, but I thought I would use the sd card

What size memory card and what class is it? How much of it are you using? What's the orgin of the gpx file?

It's an 8gb class 4, I have not had any problems with City Navigator running on it, so I am pretty sure that it is able to handle the card. I might be wrong though.

Are you using a Mac by any chance? I have found that when using a Mac to manipulate files on the SD card in my Oregon 400t, that if I did not remember to "Empty Trash" before I eject the GPSr from the computer I am more likely to experience a "lockup" than if I don't. When I remember to "Empty Trash" it almost never has one of the lockups, but if I forget, its about a 50/50 chance...

Nope, I'm using a PC. I did read about that particular problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone else having this issue?

One thing that I have found that seems to help me is that if I delete the old files from the SD card, then power up the device with no GPX files on the card (I use this time to reset track logs, etc.). After that I can place new GPX files on the SD card and it seems to work reliably.

I remember when I first got my Colorado (very early on) it had a bug that it always reloaded the data from the SD card every time you powered the GPSr on. In a later update, they fixed that so that it only reloaded the full data into its internal areas when the data file changed. I suspect that these random lockups are a result of the logic that is attempting to see if the file has changed or not. I don't know why, but that is my gut feeling. Based on that, I generated the procedure I mentioned above and it seems to work.

One thing that I have found that seems to help me is that if I delete the old files from the SD card, then power up the device with no GPX files on the card (I use this time to reset track logs, etc.). After that I can place new GPX files on the SD card and it seems to work reliably.

I remember when I first got my Colorado (very early on) it had a bug that it always reloaded the data from the SD card every time you powered the GPSr on. In a later update, they fixed that so that it only reloaded the full data into its internal areas when the data file changed. I suspect that these random lockups are a result of the logic that is attempting to see if the file has changed or not. I don't know why, but that is my gut feeling. Based on that, I generated the procedure I mentioned above and it seems to work.

thanks geek boy, I will give that procedure a try to see if it makes a difference.

I converted some state GIS data for trails in Indiana and exported the trail tracks as GPX files with the help of a talented forum member.

I used the files on my Oregon 400t without any problem (heck, Ive loaded them on my old Legend and other units as well) but one of my caching buddies loaded them on his Oregon 300 and had issues with one of the GPX files locking the unit during startup.

He removed them and his problem went away, later added them back without issue.

Make sure you have the latest software/firmware revision loaded to your unit via Webupdater.