erm.. Hello

not sure if this is the right place to say hello but

HELLO

:(

been aware of Geocaching for ages and ages but fro one reason or another have never got round to it.

Downloaded the iPhone app at the weekend ( I gather it is not to every ones taste but as I have nothing to compare it too it seems great to me)

Anyway took the kids ( 3 & 6) on a "Treasure Hunt" at the weekend and we are all hooked.

Could not resist nipping out at during my lunch break to find a local cache :D

WorcesterDan and the Woo Dan Clan

we are all hooked.

WorcesterDan and the Woo Dan Clan

I'm the samem but only heard about this last month. Up to 17 now. Off to the dentist 20 miles away in a mo - disappointed I don't go close enough to any!

Hey Dan, and welcome!

although I have been wandering the website and forums for a while, I really only entered into the sport in Jan, and now me and the wife are hooked.

You'll find everyone on here very helpful and friendly, I certainly have. Don't be afraid to ask anything!

The Baggster, if you don't have any caches en route to/from the dentist, your taking the wrong route!! :D

Hi, another Newbie here. Although until I find my first GC am I technically still classed as a muggle? I live in a GC rich area, I think there's 20 or so within a few miles radius so shouldn't have any excuses not to start finding them all soon (once my dadgum cold clears up that is).

Boidy

Im exactly the same. Found the iPhone app at the weekend and love it. Especially when used in tandem with a standalone GPS unit.

My son and I found our first four caches on Saturday and we cannot wait till this weekend to get out and crack a few more. I must admit to sneaking out yesterday to grab a couple and another one this morning. Cannot go anywhere without checking for caches. Totally hooked.

Browsing these forums it strikes me what a friendly bunch geocachers are. Very different from most forums.

Hi and Welcome to the wonderful world of Geocaching :)

Im also fairly new and Im using my Nokia E70 with Smart GPX and the standard Nokia navigation program thingy to find Caches at the moment. It serves its purpose until I can afford an Etrex but I definatly want an Etrex soon. The application on the Iphone looks pretty good though.

Update - Just logged my first find :) with a geocoin to boot.

Congratulations!

That's a cracking cache...

My log from September 2005 starts: "Lovely view? Understatement -it's a Wonderful view!"

Certainly was, especially on a day like today.

Hi and Welcome to the wonderful world of Geocaching :)

Im also fairly new and Im using my Nokia E70 with Smart GPX and the standard Nokia navigation program thingy to find Caches at the moment. It serves its purpose until I can afford an Etrex but I definatly want an Etrex soon. The application on the Iphone looks pretty good though.

Although I had an etrex with me, I didn't use it. I just had my iPhone and a combination of the Geocache app and Memory Map. If your Nokia works for you, then no need to splash out, especially if you're just starting out like me. I plan to see how hard the bug hits before investing in new toys (which is quite unlike me. I tend to buy the gadgets first!)

Update - Just logged my first find :grin: with a geocoin to boot.

The trouble is you now have to go out again and hide it somewhere else, this could turn into a never ending circle if you are not carefull :wub:

Whats a reasonable amount of time to hold on to a trackable? I could go out at the weekend and place the geocoin in a local spot, but that doesn't get it very far. I'm going to the lake district in a couple of weeks though so could take it there if its acceptable to hold on to it for that long.

Hi, I'm new to all this as well, so thought I'd pop into this thread.

Done a few caches in the local area, and then a few more in the Lakes this weekend. Dropped off my first TB (TB33MPJ), and am happy to report its been retrieved. Hope to hear from it soon!

So hello to everyone. Really enjoying this so far, hopefully will continue to get more caches found soon. I'm using a combination of apps on my Android phone to find caches, seems to work well. Hopefully the offical app will make the phone even more useful

Update - Just logged my first find :smile: with a geocoin to boot.

The trouble is you now have to go out again and hide it somewhere else, this could turn into a never ending circle if you are not carefull :anibad:

Whats a reasonable amount of time to hold on to a trackable? I could go out at the weekend and place the geocoin in a local spot, but that doesn't get it very far. I'm going to the lake district in a couple of weeks though so could take it there if its acceptable to hold on to it for that long.

Welcome to you and the other newbies. I started just over a year ago and it's mightily addictive! I have a Garmin GPS and added the iphone app when I got one in the summer. Where the GPS does most of the legwork, it can be useful to use both, especially when reading info about multis out in the field, but just a word of warning - the app chews up battery power, so it may be worth those who haven't investing in a GPS in due course as well...

To answer your question about geocoins, the usual drop-off timeline tends to be within a couple of weeks, unless there's a good reason why not, in which case it is polite just to drop a note to the owner to explain why. We all realise that Life gets in the way at times (how dare it!), but it's also worth having a peep at the specific mission and doing what you can to help achieve that. If that's merely a case of dropping at the next cache, so be it, but if you are going up to the Lake District and the mission is to head north, why don't you PM them and ask whether they'd be happy with that timescale?

Happy Caching.

:lol: