New "Welcome to Geocaching" Video

hoyshnin

I think it's a good introduction with a little issue. The text on the page states "Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices." Then in the video it waffles back and forth between calling the hides "geocaches" and then calling them "caches". For the person COMPLETELY VOID of exposure to geocaching when you mention "TREASURE hunting" and "cache" (which sounds EXACTLY like "CA$H") it starts sounding to the newbie that there's treasure in them there hills.

To an owner who has recently had to deal with dozens of raided caches having to report boat loads of missing TB's and geocoins, I CRINGE when I see implication given out that there's treasure/cash out there to be found. IMHO the word "treasure" should be avoided at all costs when describing geocaching and until someone is a little more exposed to the game, referring to a hide as a "CA$H" shouldn't be mentioned either. Nothing wrong with using the word "geocache" throughout the video.

We have explained the game to regular folks on the trails and had the response "There's money in 'em?" so I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that people easily jump to that conclusion.

It's a good video, don't take me wrong, but I just think that even subliminally planting the seed that there is money/cash/treasure involved should be avoided.

Edited by infiniteMPG