Benchmark destroyed

Veda

I'm a newbie here and am interested in benchmark hunting. I see under the history section of this benchmark that the coast and geodeic survey company said that it was destroyed in the 60's. Can I just click the log button and mark it as destoryed then so there will be an x on the listing page? Or should I go to the co-ordinates and verify something is destroyed that says it is? What if it is something like this one where it says it was on a church which burned, and I know there is no church at that location today?

Thanks

If the NGS description explicity states the mark has been destroyed or lost, I have been marking it destroyed in our database. I do not normally do this for disks, but rather for landmarks that have disappeared.

I have also done this for marks where there was a recovery failure and the "nature of the mark is not known". If we don't know what to look for...

-WR

"Besides physical caches, we have VIRTUal and VIRTUeless."

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd just add a question here.

I hunted for benchmark TU0260 here in Honolulu, near to a number of other marks. This one, however, despite having the most specific description (in the form of a large and permanent landmark), is apparently gone. I think I see in the concrete where the survey disk used to be, but not the disk itself.

Here are my photos and not-found report. Since the landmark (the Pacific War Memorial) is still there, and (I think) the location of the station mark is still there... this doesn't qualify as destroyed, does it?

GPS Hawaii | Hawai`i Geocachers & GPS Enthusiasts

I don't completely and blindly trust the descriptions given as there have been reports of geocachers finding marks that crews listed as lost or missing.

After reading such stories, I always go looking for myself. You never know what you'll find.

I use the destroyed status only with great care and hesitation. Unless I have enough information and knowledge of the area to be absolutley certain I know a benchmark can't exist any longer (a middle school was built over the former location of one nearby) then I simply mark it not found in case someone with better instincts or a metal detector comes along and finds that which I couldn't.

SA / PP-ASEL-I

Kawailani- the situation of a missing disk with the shank still there is a gray area (pun intended). This certainly looks like a disk shank and some of the circular mark where the perimeter of the disk was. I have posted such things as "found it" on the basis that there is some usefulness to the point since the shank is still present, and I was very sure the location matched within a foot or so. However, there is no certainty in these, since the disk can't be read because it's gone, and you can't be totally sure that what you see now even was a disk location, although the probablility looks to be about 95%.

I would not post "destroyed", since I think most agree that you really must have certainty that the mark is gone based on the impossibility of its existence. In this case, it might be still there under the current pavement or some such situation.

There's something funny here and I can't figure out which is what from the pictures. The description says that the mark is on the top of the wall, but your picture looks like it is at the bottom of the wall on the surrounding pavement.

I agree with the others, but I would add that if you can verify the exact distances given to the crosses cut in the curb and also the distance to TU1445, assuming you found that one, then you can be sure that you have the correct spot. Unfortunately, markers like this one in high traffic areas obviously get a lot of attention and therefore often fall prey to vandals or collectors.

quote:
There's something funny here and I can't figure out which is what from the pictures. The description says that the mark is on the top of the wall, but your picture looks like it is at the bottom of the wall on the surrounding pavement.
Understandable. The north edge of the Pacific War Memorial is elevated (or more than likely, made level) on what I presume to be at least two platforms. There's the concrete "stonewall" mentioned in the NGS data, which stands maybe two feet off the ground and is the outermost perimeter, on top of which stands (at an additional height of another foot or two) the smooth, painted white "main wall" or inner wall of the memorial itself.

Thus, in this photo, what you are seeing is the inner wall casting a shadow on the outer "stonewall" (rather than on the ground, which I see now it might look like).

I still think I had the right spot, but to be sure I did inspect the entire surface of both walls (outer "stonewall" and painted concrete inner wall).

Mahalo (thanks) for the input!

--

GPS Hawaii | Hawai`i Geocachers & GPS Enthusiasts