Pill bottles?

I'm surprised by how many of you say you've not found a pill bottle or only found one... then again, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that they are so common around here due to the laziness of local hiders. Most of our pill bottles are half ammoed and hidden at the base of street signs.

All of the pill-bottle finds I've encountered have been where they are hidden inside or underneath structures where they can't get wet. One was taped under a bench inside a gazebo, another was stuffed inside of a metal cattle grate in the Nevada desert. That's my plan for the pill bottles, to put them in places where they just shouldn't get wet in the first place, because I know they won't survive a winter buried in snow around here.

I've come across several plastic pill bottles used as micro caches. Every one I've found has been leaking and many were cracked, and in many ways they seem indistinguishable from litter/trash.

I think pill bottles seem to many people like they should be waterproof, but often this isn't the case. Especially after being in the woods for awhile.

As for making them indistinguishable from litter: pill bottles should usually be camo'd - for purposes of hiding better, for obscuring any labeling on the container, and for making them look less like trash. If not camo'd then at least put a geocache sticker on it and remove all the old labeling.

I think when people refer to pill bottles being horrible containers they mean these:

pill-bottles-de.jpg

Keep in mind that the lids to these kind of pill bottles vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. These are great compared to the Advil bottles because the tube is the same width with no lip or narrow neck to navigate around. I have several of these containers (yet to be placed), some have the lids shown in the picture above with holes in the side, and some have solid lids with a liner/gasket on the underside. The solid lids seem to stay dry when submerged in the sink. The lids with the holes do alright, which makes me think they'll withstand minimal moisture if properly protected when hidden. I did once try to use a manufacturer's bottle (the white kind with the lip and neck) and decided they weren't worth it because it was so hard to get the log out.

Submerging a container to test it may seem like a good idea, but it really doesn't work. I've had many a container pass the submergence test only to fail in the wild.

I realized that by submerging it you are not creating the conditions the cache will encounter. First the water pressure when you submerge a container may improve the seal, preventing leaks under those conditions. Second you don't get the expansion and contraction that comes with temperature changes when a cache is in the wild.

A better test might be a shower where you alternate hot and cold water and change the orientation of container

I've come across several plastic pill bottles used as micro caches. Every one I've found has been leaking and many were cracked, and in many ways they seem indistinguishable from litter/trash.

Can anyone present a good reason for using these?

Too cheap to get a 90 cent match stick container thats more waterproof than the pill bottle or just lazy and don't want to put any effort into a cache at all

I think pill bottles seem to many people like they should be waterproof, but often this isn't the case. Especially after being in the woods for awhile.

As for making them indistinguishable from litter: pill bottles should usually be camo'd - for purposes of hiding better, for obscuring any labeling on the container, and for making them look less like trash. If not camo'd then at least put a geocache sticker on it and remove all the old labeling.

the labels funny when people leave it on your like wow your taking that * backs away slowly

Too cheap to get a 90 cent match stick container thats more waterproof than the pill bottle or just lazy and don't want to put any effort into a cache at all

Oooo, that's a bitter pill (pun intended), but I agree. What's financially difficult about buying a Coghlan's match case (or 3 or 20)?

0199-158_NOC02_view1_150x150_v1_m56577569831253360.jpg

Especially if someone is not planning a power trail of more then 20 caches. We spend a lot more on gas in one day of caching. On average I probably spend $30 in gas on a caching adventure. I say, impress people by putting out Coghlan's matchstick containers. And if the location will support a larger container, put out a larger watertight quality container (like an authentic Lock & Lock). Lock & Lock makes a tiny round container and a very small rectangular container.

d9521fbc08dc1ba0eac43df26252bcb1.jpg

Especially if someone is not planning a power trail of more then 20 caches. We spend a lot more on gas in one day of caching. On average I probably spend $30 in gas on a caching adventure. I say, impress people by putting out Coghlan's matchstick containers. And if the location will support a larger container, put out a larger watertight quality container (like an authentic Lock & Lock). Lock & Lock makes a tiny round container and a very small rectangular container.

I've come across cheap knock-offs of these at the dollar store. They seem very thin and prone to breaking compared to the real lock & lock (or rubbermaid) I've come across in the field. So, I think I'd avoid using dollar store containers.

I've come across cheap knock-offs of these at the dollar store. They seem very thin and prone to breaking compared to the real lock & lock (or rubbermaid) I've come across in the field. So, I think I'd avoid using dollar store containers.

Some work some dont I would not rule out all the containers at the dollar store

I'm sure that this is true for many, but I have also ran into many well intentioned people that are simply trying to re-purpose a container instead of throwing it in the recycle bin. The problem with this that if you are going to re-purpose something, it should be able to serve the new purpose. The containers that the pharmacist gives you simply don't. YMMV on other containers. Most of my geocaching containers are re-purposed after being used for their original purpose.

I'm sure that this is true for many, but I have also ran into many well intentioned people that are simply trying to re-purpose a container instead of throwing it in the recycle bin. The problem with this that if you are going to re-purpose something, it should be able to serve the new purpose. The containers that the pharmacist gives you simply don't. YMMV on other containers. Most of my geocaching containers are re-purposed after being used for their original purpose.

I'm not familiar with re-purposed water-tight micro containers. Can anyone suggest some? For swag size containers the best re-purposed container I've seen are peanut butter jars. Anyone have any suggestions for other good quality, water-tight containers that can be re-purposed?

I'm not familiar with re-purposed water-tight micro containers. Can anyone suggest some? For swag size containers the best re-purposed container I've seen are peanut butter jars. Anyone have any suggestions for other good quality, water-tight containers that can be re-purposed?

I have been eyeing some cosmetic jars that Shark brought home. The higher end ones seem to be double walled (based on thickness). They have some kind of cream in them. I'm thinking the double wall may prevent interior condensation. One is the size of the small round L&L while the other is much smaller and would be considered a micro. I asked if we could put the contents in a Ziploc and experiment w/ the jar, but I lost that battle.

I know geocachers reuse things me and my dad make a joke out of it when I'm done my vitamin jar I'm like "DAD look a geocache" we burst out laughing everytime

I know geocachers reuse things me and my dad make a joke out of it when I'm done my vitamin jar I'm like "DAD look a geocache" we burst out laughing everytime

Actually, I think screw-top plastic containers make excellent Geocaches. I can't speak for trying to get your finders inside a "vitamin jar", but it depends on how wide the opening is.

I actually have placed a pill bottle. Long story, but a guy who lives like 100 miles from me placed a micro in 2004 in the park across the street where his daughter went to college. She wasn't like a PHD candidate, so she's long gone, and I eventually became the local maintainer for this nice guy. After replacing this thing like 4 times, I said screw it, I'm dropping a pill bottle! It was zip tied to a tree. If I'm not mistaken, he was in town a few months ago, and dropped a matchstick container. But I think it went about a year as a pill bottle, with no complaints. Not that I'm a pill bottle advocate or anything. :P

I've used micro-centrifuge tubes with great success. These make great nanos, but I work in a biology lab where we're extracting DNA, so it's easy to repurpose a tube here and there. I have a lager centrifuge tube (15ml) to be used for a geocache, but I haven't placed it yet.

Note: These tubes aren't reused, just repurposed.

Edited by mineral2

Well I have been a member for a while but really haven't gotten into finding caches but am going to. I have never put any out and was thinking about pill bottles because I have found a couple in the ones I have found. with that said after reading all of these post I think I will go a different route lol. Thank you all for all of the wonderful information.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, wyatt2852 said:

Well I have been a member for a while but really haven't gotten into finding caches but am going to. I have never put any out and was thinking about pill bottles because I have found a couple in the ones I have found. with that said after reading all of these post I think I will go a different route lol. Thank you all for all of the wonderful information.

I would not totally rule out using a pill bottle for a container. There can often be found a hide where one may be suitable. The main thing to remember about pill bottles is they are not waterproof which results in wet log sheets. This means not hiding one where it is exposed to rain or the elements in general. The second thing to remember is these bottles, mostly,  have a mouth narrower than the body which means a rolled log sheet gets ripped apart by finders trying to extricate it therefore it becomes high maintenance. I have a couple of pill bottle caches to to see if they would be viable. One is in an exposed position (in the fork of a tree) but the log sheet is inside a bison tube inside the bottle. The other is in a protected location and I have used a small length of PVC tube in the bottle in which the rolled log sheet resides. It can even hold a small pencil as well. They are placed in locations where a larger container would not suit due to high muggle activity close by and where using a smaller container, such as a bison tube, could result in a frustrating search.

Pill bottle. It depends where it is being placed and the type of pill bottle. Narrow necked ones make getting the log out tricky, so I wouldn't  consider those. I personally don't use any of the smaller ones, but I have found the pill bottle in the photograph makes a GREAT cache. It's a good sized small, which can hold trinkets and trackables, as well as a reasonable sized log. Also, I'm told that the dark green plastic (once the label is removed) will last longer in the sun than the equivalent white container. I have one at the end of multicache and until recently I hadn't checked it for five years. It's at the base of a tree. When I did, the cache and it's contents were still in pristine condition and dry inside. This is the log attached and it still looks like new paper.

Added: I haven't got one of the pill bottles to hand at present, but guessing, maybe 15 cms high (?).

Green pill botle.jpg

Log after 5 years.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle

Nice. Your logsheets are in wonderful shape.

Is there a gasket in the lid? A cushioned (paper) disc on the inside of the lid? 

I've seen nalgene jars (the kind used for creams and ointments) that don't have a removable gasket, but the inner lid has a cushioned feel that creates a good seal between the lid and the bottom container. 

Also, 15cm high is a great size. Big enough for a small logbook, small pencil, a travelbug or two and a few small trinkets.

I'm really impressed with how dry it keeps the contents. 

22 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Is there a gasket in the lid? A cushioned (paper) disc on the inside of the lid?

I didn't think I had one of those containers at present, but I checked and I do. It's about 15.5 cms high and 10 cms wide. There is an inserted, white plastic disk in the lid, which I guess assists with the seal. It holds fish oil tablets. It's a sturdy container.

• Helpful 1

There's pill bottles, and there's pill bottles.  What drives us absolutely NUTS is the use of small mouth pill bottles (where the opening diameter is significantly smaller than that of the bottle) such that it takes a pair of needle nose pliers to extract the ziploc that contains the log, and even then, the ziploc is being mangled to get it through the hole because someone thought a sandwich sized bag would just do the trick.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
19 hours ago, wyatt2852 said:

One of our favorite hiders uses larger pill bottles (high count, nursing home stuff), and they're mediocre at best here after a few months.

- But that CO brings us to awesome views, and crazy-unique locations that it seems only they can find.  :)

All favorites points they receive are for that experience, not the container.   

Many who successfully use pill bottles that remain dry also live in arid environments, so may be location specific.

On 3/15/2010 at 3:26 PM, user13371 said:

People will spend $100s in gas, lodging, units but don't want to spend a dollar for a decent container for a geocache. Always been that way. Guilty as charged here. 

• Funny 1
23 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Pill bottle. It depends where it is being placed and the type of pill bottle. Narrow necked ones make getting the log out tricky, so I wouldn't  consider those. I personally don't use any of the smaller ones, but I have found the pill bottle in the photograph makes a GREAT cache. It's a good sized small, which can hold trinkets and trackables, as well as a reasonable sized log. Also, I'm told that the dark green plastic (once the label is removed) will last longer in the sun than the equivalent white container. I have one at the end of multicache and until recently I hadn't checked it for five years. It's at the base of a tree. When I did, the cache and it's contents were still in pristine condition and dry inside. This is the log attached and it still looks like new paper.

Added: I haven't got one of the pill bottles to hand at present, but guessing, maybe 15 cms high (?).

Green pill botle.jpg

Log after 5 years.jpg

I have quite a few like that and they are lasting years. So far I have only had to replace some to due to fires or muggles. No UV breakdown and no gasket required.

Edited by colleda
typo
  • Upvote 1