GPS Confusion

laj001

Sorry, I'm new at this. I just got an eTrex and loaded the geocaches onto it. When I highlight one of the geocaches and click "Go To" a compass comes up. However, the compass does not seem to change direction when I move around. Is there another way to find the geocache using a map instead of the compass? Again, I'm very new at this. Thanks!

the etrex doesn't support mapping. also it doesn't have an electronic compass, so the compass you see is purely depending on the direction in which you're moving, meaning you have to be moving for it to work, and you also need to have a GPS fix for it to work.

but an actual owner of an etrex will probably be able to give better advice on how to make good use of it.

Edited by dfx

You need to be moving at a pretty brisk pace for the compass to work properly. If you are standing still or walking slowly it wont know what direction you are heading and will become confused.

Try marking a waypoint with it, then walk about 200 feet away and navigate back to it. First try it walking very slowly. Then try it again walking fairly fast. You'll see a major difference in the way the directional arrow and compass act.

Sorry, I'm new at this. I just got an eTrex and loaded the geocaches onto it. When I highlight one of the geocaches and click "Go To" a compass comes up. However, the compass does not seem to change direction when I move around. Is there another way to find the geocache using a map instead of the compass? Again, I'm very new at this. Thanks!

Which Etrex did you get? Some require calibration.

At the compass page hit menu, do you see an option for bearing pointer?

Which Etrex did you get? Some require calibration.

At the compass page hit menu, do you see an option for bearing pointer?

I WAS G0INGin around and around with mind intill learn that the compass needed calibrated its not that hard to also just have to read ur manal just read the book that came with it it helps :D

The compass screen really is the best screen for Geocaching. As noted above - unless you have a vista model of the eTrex - the compass only functions if you are moving (and not real slowly). It doesn't take an overly brisk pace but you must be moving. I have a compass on my watch I can use to orient myself when standing still and walk off in the right direction to find a cache. Keep an eye on the countdown for distance and when you get to within 20 feet - put the GPS away and start looking for the cache.