Satellite Observations?

Shark River Pirates

Just found our first benchmark (AA5242) last night and I'm already hooked.

I noticed that the datasheet for our benchmark mentions a "Satellite Observation" in 2003. Now call me a n00b if you must, but does this mean it was viewed via satellite or was a gps satellite used to confirm the location?

I'd be pretty impressed if you could see this little thing from a satellite. icon_smile.gif

Actaully there are two notes concerning the "GPS-ability" of this station. First:

AA5242.The horizontal coordinates were established by GPS observations

AA5242.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in May 1999.

As noted, the published coordinates for this mark were determined in a GPS survey.

Second:

AA5242_SATELLITE: THE SITE LOCATION WAS REPORTED AS SUITABLE FOR

A5242+SATELLITE: SATELLITE OBSERVATIONS - March 31, 2003

This note simply means that whoever submitted the recovery in 2003, in this case the New Jersey DOT, determined that the mark was usable for GPS observations, meaning that it has a realively clear and open horizon above 15 degrees from the horizon. This note can be added by anyone without actually performing high accuracy GPS measurements on the site. NGS trusts the person who submits the recovery to know what they're talking about.