Beginner's GPS problem

Just new to goecaching and bought ETrexH. Problem with getting my computer to reconise the device. have bought the correct connections but when I try to download the coordiantes to the GPS it says "device not found". My conputer is telling me "Device driver software not succcessfully installed Prolofic USB-Serial Port (Com3).

Any ideas Help!!

Just new to goecaching and bought ETrexH. Problem with getting my computer to reconise the device. have bought the correct connections but when I try to download the coordiantes to the GPS it says "device not found". My conputer is telling me "Device driver software not succcessfully installed Prolofic USB-Serial Port (Com3).

Any ideas Help!!

Your experience may differ from mine, but I had a usb/serial adaptor which used the "prolific" chipset (also known as PL2303) to use with a Etrex and couldn't make it work (or at least, not reliably).

In the end I found a different cable that used the FTDI chipset instead, and that has worked reliably for me.

I'm not rubbishing prolific based adaptors by the way. There is a recognition that these usb/serial adaptors are very sensitive to what they are being plugged into, and some people find prolific work well on their machines, others find that FTDI work etc.

See my posts on http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=12678&hl= for my tale of woe.

From what you've posted above though it seems like you've not installed the PL2303 device driver first. Deal with that before you can assume that the cable is dodgy.

"Aten" made the one that I used, which used the PL2303 chipset. Therefore the drivers listed at the foot of this page may be of some use - http://www.aten.com/download/download.php?...iver#showResult

Cheers!

Matt

Hi

I initially had the same problem when I bought the cable and tried using it with Windows Vista. It was very intermittent. I have since upgraded to Windows 7, always use the same USB port and I have absolutely no issues with connection at all.

You need the driver from here http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31. its the PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110.zip file you are looking for if I remember correctly.

I can't remember exactly how I got it worked out but it did take a lot of patience and farting about.

I think that the connection problem is created by vista and not the cable drivers themselves.

Once you've got the prolific driver installed for the USB device make sure you always plug it into the same USB port on the PC. If you move USB ports Windows gets visibly upset and may not find the device again and ask you to re-install the driver.

When the USB adaptor is running you should be able to connect the Etrex and it should work fine.

Chris (MrB)

Once you've got the prolific driver installed for the USB device make sure you always plug it into the same USB port on the PC. If you move USB ports Windows gets visibly upset and may not find the device again and ask you to re-install the driver.

When the USB adaptor is running you should be able to connect the Etrex and it should work fine.

Chris (MrB)

I found that one out the hard way!

As the others say, it may also be the specific USB port you're trying to use - moving devices about between the ports on your computer does tend to make the machine unhappy :)

I've had this problem with several different USB devices, as I like to keep my desktop tidy, and can't stand devices trailing. Needless to say, as I moved said devices about to achieve the right Fung Shui ( :blink: ), my computer had a paddy, and decided to not play nicely. Returning the devices to the ports they were originally connected to, seemed to calm the computer down, and things worked again :)

Any ideas Help!!

Thanks for all the replies. i have reinstalled it and it seems to accept it now. success.

And I went on my first cach find! It worked