Geocache app on iPhone3GS

I recently downloaded the geocache app for my iPhone, now when I am looking for a cache alot of the time I will get to a spot and app will tell me the cache is 5 metres on my left, but once I move towards this all of a sudden it will be like 14 metres to my left.

Then if i take a few steps towards this all of a sudden it could be 8 metres behind me.

The first time this happened i was under a lot of trees so I thought this might have been causing this but I have also now had this happen on a number of occasions in super clear conditions.

I have noticed on the app down below the compass there is a accuracy bit might read something like 17 metres or even 21 metres.

Just wondering if anyone can help shed some light on this for me - I'm in Australia if that helps

Thanks

Beau

*NOTE* I have just ordered a Garmin Oregon 200 so hoping that might make things better for me

That's pretty normal of any GPS unit- there's a certain accuracy of the thing depending on the 'geometry' of the satellites at any given time, and also due to 'signal bounce' from local buildings, trees, rocks, etc.

Once you get to where your 'distance to goal' is less than or equal to the 'current error', just put the device away and start looking for the cache- chasing the spinning pointer is a sure road to frustration.

No GPS will put you dead-on perfect within a centimeter (at least not the current space-based units). Consider also that when the person hiding the cache took their readings, they may have had a 15 meter error due to GPS accuracy. When you arrive, you've got 15 meter error also, but yours is in the other direction. Now you've got up to a 30 meter error to deal with, and you've no idea which direction.

The GPS will get you to the area- the find is going to be done using your wits, perception, and patience.

I recently downloaded the geocache app for my iPhone, now when I am looking for a cache alot of the time I will get to a spot and app will tell me the cache is 5 metres on my left, but once I move towards this all of a sudden it will be like 14 metres to my left.

Then if i take a few steps towards this all of a sudden it could be 8 metres behind me.

The first time this happened i was under a lot of trees so I thought this might have been causing this but I have also now had this happen on a number of occasions in super clear conditions.

I have noticed on the app down below the compass there is a accuracy bit might read something like 17 metres or even 21 metres.

Just wondering if anyone can help shed some light on this for me - I'm in Australia if that helps

Thanks

Beau

*NOTE* I have just ordered a Garmin Oregon 200 so hoping that might make things better for me

As stated by others it is generally normal for your numbers to jump around a bit. As a rule of thumb, I get within 2 or 3 feet (1 meter) and put the GPSr away. It will drive you crazy trying to find ground zero(GZ). Accuracy is usually within 10 meters. Start your search at GZ and expand out 10 meters. If you don't find it then, you can go back to your GPSr.

Also, the iphone is not very accurate. It will get you close but you need a good handheld unit like the one you have ordered to pinpoint. I have an iphone and over time they tend to get worse. Mine can be anywhere from 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile off at times. For that reason, I never use my iphone to pinpoint.