Refurbished GPS

Aradhel

Hi geomates!

I have a question if anybody has any experience with buying refurbished GPS device for example from e-bay.

The price is so inviting, I just would like to know if it is safe :-)

Thanks ;-)

Seems to me like your question has two dimensions:

Is it safe to buy refurbished equipment?

Is it safe to buy on eBay?

First, I'd have to say that equipment refurbished by Garmin is usually as good as new.

Second, eBay is only as good as the buyer you're dealing with so do your due diligence, check seller's feedback, etc, and you should be ok.

But another wrinkle comes into it when buying Garmin products on eBay:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/warranty.html

"Online Auction Purchases: Products purchased through online auctions are not eligible for warranty coverage. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction."

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
Hi geomates!

I have a question if anybody has any experience with buying refurbished GPS device for example from e-bay.

Thanks ;-)

It's not just Garmin that has heartburn with warranty on sales via eBay. TomTom has issues with this, too. I'm afraid you'll want to avoid eBay in any case for these units.

That said, there's nothing wrong with considering a refurb. When my original unit croaked about 3 months after I bought it, the replacement unit was a refurb, and it's still going strong.

On the whole, refurb units have been through two factory burn-ins, and by rights, should be just a tiny bit more reliable than one right off the line.

... & don't buy something that's just plain OLD! I see original Garmin Etrex Legends (the original translucent blue case) for sale in "like new" condition for really cheap!

That sounds good but, even if it is in perfect shape it is still an obsolete unit now.. it was great years ago when it was new, but compared to more modern units it will drive you NUTS with slow refresh rates, poor signal holding, and lack of expansion options..

If you see something enticing on Ebay but are unaware if it's history post the specs here & we can give some opinions on it :)

... & don't buy something that's just plain OLD! I see original Garmin Etrex Legends (the original translucent blue case) for sale in "like new" condition for really cheap!

No kidding - I saw a Garmin eTrex Legend, the one you describe, yesterday (March 14, 2010) on a local Buy/Sell/Trade where the guy was asking $180!

Only about 3 times what it might be worth in mint condition...

And this morning on the same site someone's advertised a used Nuvi 760 for $250. You can buy that new for $200 at GPSCentral and probably even less if you check around.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

As others have already said, when using eBay "caveat emptor" That's always been the case with any online purchase.

Refurb is a great way to save money, but as others have said you are better off dealing with a reputable dealer. There are plenty of stores online that sell refurbs at great prices - just google around.

Some of my best values (quality, longevity, durability) have been refurbished products.

Hi geomates!

Thanks ;-)

Another slant on refurbished - I have over the years needed repairs on my Garmin gear. Every time I send in my broken unit they send me back a refurbished unit. Never had a problem with them. Buy a refurbished unit from Amazon or other dealer and the unit is just fine. I find that if I use froogle or other similar site I can generally get as good or even better than ebay on prices and I'm dealing with a vendor that will be acceptable to Garmin. I personally don't think ebay is quite what it is cracked up to be.

I'm glad this question was asked. I saw a refurbished item for less money on one of the sites I was referred to. Was a little hesitant when seeing "refurbished". But now reading through this topic it seems like it is a safe thing to do.

You guys/girls are an awesome resource. Looks like once I lock in and order the unit Premium Membership will be the next "big" investment.

Thanks again people

Heather :D

Regarding the caveat emptor about eBay purchases of refurbished units, it's worth emphasizing that eBay is not a bad place to buy refurbished Garmin units. You just need to understand the difference between an auction where you do not get a receipt versus buying from an online device dealer who will provide a receipt upon request. All online eBay dealers have a link on each item that allows you to Ask Seller A Question. Just click the link and be sure you will get a receipt included with the device when they ship it and your golden as far as Garmin is concerned. If you have a receipt for the purchase of one of their refurbed units they will honor the warranty.

...ken...

We bought a brand new Garmin Summit HC on Amazon last October. About mid-January the power-on feature failed. We contacted Garmin, and personally I was disappointed to find out that after only three and a half months they would only send a refurbished unit. Nonetheless, we took it and have used the refurbished one for the last four weeks. On every outing the coordinates have been off by massive amounts - 15 to 20 feet. Although our satellite reception has been outstanding, is it possible that this could be a malfunction of the unit? Our last unit (the new one) was always spot on to the coordinates. Thank for any feedback.

You just need to understand the difference between an auction where you do not get a receipt versus buying from an online device dealer who will provide a receipt upon request. All online eBay dealers have a link on each item that allows you to Ask Seller A Question. Just click the link and be sure you will get a receipt included with the device when they ship it and your golden as far as Garmin is concerned. If you have a receipt for the purchase of one of their refurbed units they will honor the warranty.

...ken...

The difference is that neither Garmin nor TomTom will honor any implied warranty from an eBay dealer, receipt or no. Neither Garmin nor TomTom have ANY authorized dealers on eBay, as both will tell you, and if you purchase there - new or factory refurb - you're on your own. Garmin makes this clear on their web site. Sadly, TomTom does not - you have to call to discover this.

Google it. There are quite a few unhappy campers out there.

I have no idea how other manufacturers are dealing with this issue.

Edited by ecanderson
You just need to understand the difference between an auction where you do not get a receipt versus buying from an online device dealer who will provide a receipt upon request. All online eBay dealers have a link on each item that allows you to Ask Seller A Question. Just click the link and be sure you will get a receipt included with the device when they ship it and your golden as far as Garmin is concerned. If you have a receipt for the purchase of one of their refurbed units they will honor the warranty.

...ken...

The difference is that neither Garmin nor TomTom will honor any implied warranty from an eBay dealer, receipt or no.

That's simply not true, at least where Garmin is concerned (I have no experience with TomTom).

Check this FAQ on Garmin's support site:

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/s...=mobile+pc+ebay

Pay particular attention to the last sentence:

PLEASE NOTE: If purchased from an online store on eBay our normal warranty applies.

Over on Laptop GPS World we have had a number of users who have purchased Garmin's Mobile PC package with bundled refurbished receivers from eBay dealers. They have contacted Garmin and been told that Garmin will definitely support the devices and the warranty. We've had feedback from users that they do exactly that.

Read this post:

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/garmin-mobil....html#post23947

And this one:

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/garmin-mobil....html#post24385

...ken...

That's simply not true, at least where Garmin is concerned (I have no experience with TomTom).

Check this FAQ on Garmin's support site:

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/s...=mobile+pc+ebay

Pay particular attention to the last sentence:

PLEASE NOTE: If purchased from an online store on eBay our normal warranty applies.

I couldn't make your search link work. But here is the text of what I find on the Garmin site currently, and there have been buyers complain about lack of warranty when using eBay sellers:

Question: Does the unit I purchased on EBAY have a warranty?

Answer: Products that are purchased from online auctions such as EBAY are not covered by warranty. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

That FAQ was updated by Garmin on 2/5/10.

So I'm not sure why there is some variability in user experience, but there's some kind of problem out there.

Got that link to work. Color me confused. On one hand, Garmin says

"PLEASE NOTE: If purchased from an online store on eBay our normal warranty applies."

and at the same time, they say

"Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a "buyer beware" basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

There is always the possibility that products purchased through eBay or other online auction sites could be stolen merchandise. You assume this risk when you buy through these auction sites."

Previously, they were not honoring warranties where products were not purchased through their normal authorized dealer channel - it was their way of trying to deal with the gray market, especially when units were trans-shipped between countries. Perhaps they have softened that stance?

Edit: In looking around more carefully here, it seems we have "Deja vu all over again". See this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=124893

Edited by ecanderson

Over a year ago, from ebay, Garmin auth dealer, Quest 2 refurb with extra Citi Nav disc. Advertised as new case, new battery, new chip, tested, and came with a new manual ( remember them? ) and all accessories new in plastic wrap. One of my better $135 deals. Small screen, with small print, requires real clean "readies", but it works good for me.

Sunshine in the middle of Utah today. The "January Thaw" is finally here!

We bought a brand new Garmin Summit HC on Amazon last October. About mid-January the power-on feature failed. We contacted Garmin, and personally I was disappointed to find out that after only three and a half months they would only send a refurbished unit. Nonetheless, we took it and have used the refurbished one for the last four weeks. On every outing the coordinates have been off by massive amounts - 15 to 20 feet. Although our satellite reception has been outstanding, is it possible that this could be a malfunction of the unit? Our last unit (the new one) was always spot on to the coordinates. Thank for any feedback.

Sorry if I put this in an inappropriate thread. :) I was about to start a new thread about the reliability of refurbished units, but saw this thread and thought maybe I shouldn't start a new one when this one was already going. Should I start a new thread about potential problems with refurbished units? I just don't know enough about the technical side of a GPS to know if incorrect locations of coordinates could be a function of the GPS, even with great satellite reception.

Should I start a new thread about potential problems with refurbished units? I just don't know enough about the technical side of a GPS to know if incorrect locations of coordinates could be a function of the GPS, even with great satellite reception.
It would be a rare thing for a refurb unit to be any different than a comparably "firmwared" new unit in this regard. Most often, it's a problem with receiving a unit whose datum is not what the user expects, and the user not being aware that the configuration requires a change.
Should I start a new thread about potential problems with refurbished units? I just don't know enough about the technical side of a GPS to know if incorrect locations of coordinates could be a function of the GPS, even with great satellite reception.
It would be a rare thing for a refurb unit to be any different than a comparably "firmwared" new unit in this regard. Most often, it's a problem with receiving a unit whose datum is not what the user expects, and the user not being aware that the configuration requires a change.

Okay, this is already over my head! :) I think I need to call Garmin! Thanks for the info.

Got that link to work. Color me confused.

I tried to make it clear in my initial post. I wrote it because you have confused two seperate issues, like many others do. Garmin's policy is consistent and not particularly confusing.

The problem is that people confuse what's going on on eBay. They overlook that eBay has two things going on.

1. eBay has auctions where people bid on stuff. This is the wild west. Pretty much uncontrolled and your caution of caveat emptor is absolutely correct. Garmin states that they will not support stuff purchased from these auctions. I can sympathize with them on this policy and they make it clear.

2. eBay also has online stores that use eBay as their "storefront". These stores sell stuff just like any other online mailorder outlets. If you buy a Garmin factory refurbished unit from one of them Garmin will support your use of the unit and honour the warranty as long as you make sure you get a receipt. Garmin makes that equally clear and we have feedback from buyers that Garmin does exactly what they say they will.

eBay has two different selling services. Garmin has two policies to deal with them.

...ken...

I tried to make it clear in my initial post.

All of which still leaves me wondering why Garmin took the time to note that "Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites." What point were they trying to make with that statement? I mean, if they're going to treat warranty issues, etc., for any unit with a proper sales receipt (undefined) in the same fashion, who cares if the dealer is "authorized" or not?

In short, they make a point of it -- but what difference does it make to a buyer if the dealer is "authorized" or not if the sales documentation is provided?