Candy in cach?

jmj732

I was under the impression that no food should be in caches, but we found that most of the ones we found had candy (in one park). I know there is no way we would eat candy from a container in the park! Is there some rule against, or is it just a gift for ants?

Yep food/candy can lure a critter to the cache & you know what happens next. The whole cache gets chewed up :)

If you found several caches with similar candy then perhaps someone is unknowingly depositing it there. If you read the past logs & notice a person mention they are doing that, perhaps a friendly FYI email sent to them would straighten them out. It's what I would do :blink:

What about "Junk" items?

Well, I guess one persons Junk is anothers Treasure!!!

But seriously? Is it bad form to remove junk/crap stuff, esp. if your trying to leave items? Soda can tabs, broken marbles (not whole or new), etc....

Broken items, used spark plugs, can tabs, etc. should go the way of CITO. Not bad form at all.

However, tread lightly on the junk/crap issue. As you said, "I guess one persons Junk is anothers Treasure!!!".

We had some one put a soda pop in one of our caches that is placed at about 9800 feet and the the temps were well below freezing and the soda pop exploded in the cache and when we went to do cache maintenance in the springwe found a very large mess in the cache and a ruined log book. as near as we could tell this was done after we had done our fall rounds to our caches getting them ready for winter

I really don't understand why people would put food items in a cache. Do you think I would really eat something I found in a cache? Your serious, right? Maybe it is to feed the hamsters, but with the possiblily that a hamster was in the cache I sure certainly won't eat that trail bar. I'll leave the broken mac toys but CITO food items, the 75 business cards from some real estate agent and other such trash. I'll leave the business card sized sig items.

I was under the impression that no food should be in caches, but we found that most of the ones we found had candy (in one park). I know there is no way we would eat candy from a container in the park! Is there some rule against, or is it just a gift for ants?

It is usually a bad idea, because it attracts all kinds of unwanted critters & varmits to the caches, instead of cachers.

I just found a cache that had a Now and Later candy in it that had clearly been there a while. Everyone keeps saying it's a bad idea because it attracts animals, but no one has yet mentioned that these things are perishable. The candy had melted and spread red juice everywhere when I went to pulled it out. On top of that, the whole cache was full of mold. 

29 minutes ago, KerrvilleWalker said:

I just found a cache that had a Now and Later candy in it that had clearly been there a while. Everyone keeps saying it's a bad idea because it attracts animals, but no one has yet mentioned that these things are perishable. The candy had melted and spread red juice everywhere when I went to pulled it out. On top of that, the whole cache was full of mold. 

Why didn't you log a Needs Maintenance?

• Helpful 1
11 hours ago, KerrvilleWalker said:

Put a different way from above:

For caches like that, I usually add a "needs maintenance" log with information on what's going on with the cache, since the cache owner (CO) might not have checked in a while and doesn't know.

If the CO is active, that way they know it's time to stop by their cache. If a CO isn't active, then maybe it's time a reviewer got involved, and a Needs Maintenance log is often the first step in that direction.

Funny, when I started candy in caches was common.  People would take something, and not having come prepared to trade, leave whatever was in their pockets. Change, mints (very common), partial rolls of sours, small plastic flip top M&M containers - they were at every check out display at the time. These were much in use as cache containers, and sucked at that job.    Don't see it much now.  

The next craze of awful swag was bubble stuff. Swollen   burst bottles of soapy liquid in caches was a constant for a while.  Ruined the original log and interior of one of my old ammo can caches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Funny, when I started candy in caches was common.  People would take something, and not having come prepared to trade, leave whatever was in their pockets. Change, mints (very common), partial rolls of sours, small plastic flip top M&M containers - they were at every check out display at the time. These were much in use as cache containers, and sucked at that job.    Don't see it much now.  

The next craze of awful swag was bubble stuff. Swollen   burst bottles of soapy liquid in caches was a constant for a while.  Ruined the original log and interior of one of my old ammo can caches. 

Yep.  Same here.  Finding candy, bubbles, and because we thought our job would be great for kids, we left crayons.  They didn't fare well either...

One guy I went on rope hides with always left a mini mint roll (Lions club IIRC...) in every cache that'd hold one.

Didn't pay me any mind, so I simply started climbing after him, and palming that roll before coming back down.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

I once found a travel toothbrush in a case,  and a tube of toothpaste - removed and discarded.  I wouldn't use them and can't imagine who would....

One newbie hider left a "surprise" for the FTF - a package of Top Ramen. We were Co-FTF's on that one with a long time cacher, who gently reminded the CO of the rules in his log.  Haven't seen another cache published by that hider since....

• Surprised 1
On 4/12/2022 at 3:17 AM, mysterion604 said:

When I find candy in cashes, I extract it and throw it away.

I did once find a used lollipop (no wrapper, obviously had been licked) stuck to the inside of the container - yuck. What gets into people  ?

When we'd get "no trackable in cache" in a few of our ammo can hides, we'd often find the geocoin stuck to the lid or sides. Sometimes swag too.

We figured most look down and don't think about something stuck on top, all because someone may have "rested" their candy on the lid.

Yuck...

• Surprised 1