Benchmark Travelers

Criminal

Found my first benchmarks today. There were four listed for McChord Air Force Base, I looked for three of them, and found two.

I notice that some of these are recessed and covered with a metal cap. Has anyone thought of leaving a travel bug in one of these? Are there any dual benchmark/microcaches out there?

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

...but a benchmark would be a great starting point for a geocache.

I would hesitate to use a flip top benchmark as a geocache as I suspect that they are some of the most used benchmarks for surveying, and a surveyor not aware of the game may get uptight about it. Sort of like having a geocache in a very public location. If you don't put a sheet explaining the game in the cache, you are likely to loose it.

There is alredy a link on the benchmark pages to nearby geocaches, so the system is effectively all ready to go. It is not at all unusual for there to be good cover for a ground cache near a bencmark. You could even go the Start 500 meters due east of benchmark xxnnnn and go due north through the 20 foot tall wall... icon_wink.gif

Have fun.

-Rusty

p.s. might even be fun for a company exercise. each team sets up a cache, squads compete with each other for shortest recovery time, platoons compete against each other for most challenging location. The team that emplaces the cache must recover the cache using mapreading and compass. Since everyone is in the same company, unit patches would not be good cache fodder, but might be once the game gets out of the batalion level. Perhaps team ribbons, and the team that collects the most other teams ribbons would be the winner.

...but a benchmark would be a great starting point for a geocache.

I would hesitate to use a flip top benchmark as a geocache as I suspect that they are some of the most used benchmarks for surveying, and a surveyor not aware of the game may get uptight about it. Sort of like having a geocache in a very public location. If you don't put a sheet explaining the game in the cache, you are likely to loose it.

There is alredy a link on the benchmark pages to nearby geocaches, so the system is effectively all ready to go. It is not at all unusual for there to be good cover for a ground cache near a bencmark. You could even go the Start 500 meters due east of benchmark xxnnnn and go due north through the 20 foot tall wall... icon_wink.gif

Have fun.

-Rusty

p.s. might even be fun for a company exercise. each team sets up a cache, squads compete with each other for shortest recovery time, platoons compete against each other for most challenging location. The team that emplaces the cache must recover the cache using mapreading and compass. Since everyone is in the same company, unit patches would not be good cache fodder, but might be once the game gets out of the batalion level. Perhaps team ribbons, and the team that collects the most other teams ribbons would be the winner.

I talked with our County surveyor the other day and he thought that the caches were a good idea He has only just started to learn the GPS,and thought that we were really doing something good.Talked to our local search and rescue and they want me to give some courses in the GPS, I guess that all the work in the past here is finally coming to the forefront as everywhere else I presume.

See 2 for 1 sale

Centaur, that rocks!

I just have to find a capped one off base.

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**