WHAT EXACTLY DO WE DO FIRST?

rainseekers2

I found this website and joined, but neither my hubby or I know what to do next. He has a Garmin eTrex Legend H GPS and is just learning how to use it. I found an easy cache near us that I would like to find, but he can't get the coordinates into the GPS. Do we have to put it into the GPS or what? If we do, is there a good web site to go to that has EASY instructions? Would the GPS automatically show the coordinates if we drive to the area where the cache is to be, get out and then use GPS to find? Sorry, but thats how NEW we are to this. I am hoping someone can help us so we have a pleasant first experience. Or, maybe there is a geocaching group out there in our area? Thanks to all!

Hi Rain,

you should have a usb cable to plug the unit into your computer. All you do it hook it up, turn on th gps and select which cache you are after by opening the cache desciption. Then click on "send to gps" and the ords should download to your unit. If it doesn't you will need to download a small program so your puter sees your GPS.

And once you get the coords in the gps, as hoosier guy mentioned, click on the 'find' or 'goto' button and select the cache from the menu on the gps screen.

After that you may want to page through the various screens available until you get to the compass screen, it looks like a compass with an arrow. After you press 'find', the arrow will be pointing to the general vicinity of the cache, usually along with an info field showing distance to cache.

I'd encourage you to read the manual (if you don't have one, should be able to find it online) and just play with the gps to get the feel for various screens and functions.

You can also "mark" your current position, then scroll up to the coords that you just marked, then changing them to match those on the cache page. The USB download is easier (of sorts), but this does work in a pinch.

Once you "mark", scroll up to highlight those coords, then [Enter] scroll sideways and use the up/down scroll to change the individual digits to those that you need. Upon changing (or not) the last digit [Enter], then scroll up to enter in the name of the cache (or cache #) near the top of the screen, in the same manner that you altered the coords.

This method is somewhat tedious to load a large number of caches, but it works for just about any GPSr out there.

If your unit came with a USB cable, the manual should instruct you how to download info from the computer to the GPSr.

-----------------

Once done with that, go out and hunt.

After your hunt (you may or may not be successful) return to the forums ;) . I am pretty sure you will have more questions after the hunt :rolleyes: .

Enjoy the obsession!

Once you load caches to your unit (see some of the above posts), select Find on your menu, select the cache you wish to hunt, and hit Go To. The compass navigation screen will appear with an arrow that points to the cache. There will also be a data field on the unit showing your distance from the cache.

Follow the arrow to the cache and watch the distance count down. Once you get the distance down to about 20 feet start looking.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR HELPING SO QUICKLY! I think we have figured it out, with all the help. The instruction book that came with the GPS wasn't that helpful (most aren't, right?) We will head out in a

couple of days to find our very first cache. I am excited to find this new hobby in our beautiful state of Washington!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR HELPING SO QUICKLY! I think we have figured it out, with all the help. The instruction book that came with the GPS wasn't that helpful (most aren't, right?) We will head out in a

couple of days to find our very first cache. I am excited to find this new hobby in our beautiful state of Washington!

Be sure to put Carnation, Washington on your calendar for July 3, 2010. Over 2000 geocachers will be there for GeoWoodstock VIII.

We started this about 4 months ago & here are a couple of pointers we have learned from trial & error!

1. Get a back pack with essentials: extra batteries for GPS/camera, pen, trinkets for trading, bug spray, sun block, bandaids. 2.If you are going for a long questionable hike from the car, make a waypoint to find your way back!

This is a great activity for the whole family! You will be hooked in no time!

Be sure to put Carnation, Washington on your calendar for July 3, 2010. Over 2000 geocachers will be there for GeoWoodstock VIII.

Probably closer to 5 thousand.

Careful. It gets addictive very quickly!! LOL. Welcome to the fun.

let us know how it goes.

Truer words were never spoken. The instructions that came with mine covered about half of the things the unit can do and the ones it covered it did so poorly it was usless.

But I have a fried who has the same unit you do and has had a ton of fun finding caches with it and had nary a problem! Have a good time.