Cemetery caches

Is it possible to get a list of all the cemetery caches in my area at once without spending days and days searching each cache page? Thanks Tom.

There is no filter for "cemetery". Try a keyword search. I think that will only get you those with "cemetery" in the title. You can look for someones bookmark list. If there isn't one it may be a nice thing for you to compile one for your fellow cachers.

Is it possible to get a list of all the cemetery caches in my area at once without spending days and days searching each cache page? Thanks Tom.

There is no filter for "cemetery". Try a keyword search. I think that will only get you those with "cemetery" in the title. You can look for someones bookmark list. If there isn't one it may be a nice thing for you to compile one for your fellow cachers.

Ok thanks.

Well, here's a "reverse" idea. Get a list of all cemeteries in your area (horrors - a phone book) and find them in Google Earth. Then, turn on the .kml and see if any caches show in those cemeteries. As you find them, click on the icon and go to the cache page online. Then Bookmark it.

I just checked GoogleEarth and under "Places of Interest/Places of Worship" there is a layer called "Cemeteries". It doesn't show all of them in my area but it's a start.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Well, here's a "reverse" idea. Get a list of all cemeteries in your area (horrors - a phone book) and find them in Google Earth. Then, turn on the .kml and see if any caches show in those cemeteries. As you find them, click on the icon and go to the cache page online. Then Bookmark it.

Except that many aren't listed in phone books. I checked my phone book and only 3 were listed in a 25 miles radius. I know of 3 in 3 miles none of them were listed. There are over a dozen or more know of in that radius.

This cache wouldn't show up either: The Last Stop. It is an old cemetery with no known name and one recent inhabitant.

You won't know The Secret of Smith Creek either unless you visit. Only 3 gravestones for its five inhabitants.

Just a suggestion: We found a couple of interesting caches in or near cemetaries in Tennessee last year; they were part of a series placed by a local cacher. If you have found one cemetary cache, click on the CO's name and see if he or she has placed other similar hides.

That's a very good idea as well. There is at least one cacher around here who has a lot of cemetery hides, I'd suspect most any area has at least one person who does the same.

Sprite Quest and SQ are key words to use also.

This must be a regional thing. I see SQ all the time in cache titles over in Ohio but don't recall ever seeing it in PA.

Cemetery cache series names have developed on a very regional basis. If I were in Niagara Falls, Ontario, I could find Faded Marker Series. If I drove 50 miles to Toronto, they'd all be called Restin' in ______.

Spirit Quest though, is by far the most common. I'd like to say it's generally a midwestern U.S. term, but I just did a keyword search (1,311 results!!) and ones came up in British Columbia, of all places.

If a regional name does take root, I imagine it would be pretty difficult for another name like Spirit Quest to move in.

This must be a regional thing. I see SQ all the time in cache titles over in Ohio but don't recall ever seeing it in PA.

Well if I remember my history, it did start in Ohio. I live a little over an hour away from the border so I suppose it would only be natural that I get exposed to the term.

Sprite Quest will only bring you to soda vending machines.

So it was trying to keep him from finding them.

Yeah, That's the ticket! :wub:

Cemetery cache series names have developed on a very regional basis. If I were in Niagara Falls, Ontario, I could find Faded Marker Series. If I drove 50 miles to Toronto, they'd all be called Restin' in ______.

add 50 more miles to that and you'll get the "bone-yard series" :wub:

I just checked GoogleEarth and under "Places of Interest/Places of Worship" there is a layer called "Cemeteries". It doesn't show all of them in my area but it's a start.

After I did a keyword search on GC.com, I did a version of that the hard way. Since I'm a map geek and troll Google Maps just for the heck, I went to the maps view (instead of the satellite view) and looked for little gray rectangles. Those are the cemeteries. Then I rt clicked and chose "What Is Here" and that puts the coords in the search box. Then I cut and pasted them into the "find" page on GC.com. Took me ALL DANG DAY :smile::anibad: but I've got a pretty healthy bookmark list in a 30 mile radius now. Now whenever I'm using Google Maps for something else and come across one of those little gray rectangles, I pop the coords into GC.com just to check.

Another place to look for cemeteries would be your county genealogical museum/library. For our rural Illinois county I compiled a list of locations for our genealogical library. Little ole Clark Co Illinois has 136 known cem. locations. Of those 136 sites maybe 1/3 have caches in or next to them. If you are lucky your local genea library will have a map already marked with locations that you could then check against your area.

USGenWeb.org has a tombstone transcription project. Here is a link.

http://usgwtombstones.org/

Every state usually has a complete of cemeteries by county. Each state is run by a different volunteer though, and sometimes the contents are ordered differently. Michigan's project seems to be focused on a photographic record rather than a transcription record.

To find if a cemetery has a cache, just type in its name and the state in the GC search engine. The cemetery will pop up. Like Nericksx said, best to look with a topographic view.

Nericksx, I have bookmarks for all the caches in pioneer cemeteries in both Multnomah and Washington counties. I am working on Clackamas, Hood River, and a few other ones. I'll have to cross check mine with your bookmark if you have made it public. Yeah, I love just scrolling along the topo map for tiny forgotton cemeteries. I found a reference somewhere for a single grave of "Rum and Gum Charley", I think he was buried in Washington co. I HAVE to find that grave someday.

The Oregon department of transportation did a cemetery survey in 1978 and published a book with every known cemetery or single grave in the state. You can find it one page at a time if you type in Oregon Cemetery Survey and the county you are looking for. Its good to cross check that list with the one on genweb.

Sprite Quest will only bring you to soda vending machines.

It's SPIRIT Quest.

Fools. :anibad:

I already alluded to the spirits guiding my hand so they remain unfound.

Maybe the sprites did it as a prank? *shrugs*

Maybe sprites are a form of spirit and they want to be found too? *double shrug*

In Tennessee it's a felony to "play at any game or amusement therein" in a cemetery (Tennessee Code Annotated 46-2-105). I expect that other states may have similar laws. Be very careful, not just for your own sake, but for the continued good working relationship that this pastime has with custodians of public lands.

In Tennessee it's a felony to "play at any game or amusement therein" in a cemetery (Tennessee Code Annotated 46-2-105). I expect that other states may have similar laws. Be very careful, not just for your own sake, but for the continued good working relationship that this pastime has with custodians of public lands.

It my (admittedly limited) experience that caches tend to be right near or right on the edge of a cemetery, not actually IN it.

USGenWeb.org has a tombstone transcription project. Here is a link.

http://usgwtombstones.org/

Every state usually has a complete of cemeteries by county. Each state is run by a different volunteer though, and sometimes the contents are ordered differently. Michigan's project seems to be focused on a photographic record rather than a transcription record.

To find if a cemetery has a cache, just type in its name and the state in the GC search engine. The cemetery will pop up. Like Nericksx said, best to look with a topographic view.

Nericksx, I have bookmarks for all the caches in pioneer cemeteries in both Multnomah and Washington counties. I am working on Clackamas, Hood River, and a few other ones. I'll have to cross check mine with your bookmark if you have made it public. Yeah, I love just scrolling along the topo map for tiny forgotton cemeteries. I found a reference somewhere for a single grave of "Rum and Gum Charley", I think he was buried in Washington co. I HAVE to find that grave someday.

The Oregon department of transportation did a cemetery survey in 1978 and published a book with every known cemetery or single grave in the state. You can find it one page at a time if you type in Oregon Cemetery Survey and the county you are looking for. Its good to cross check that list with the one on genweb.

BlueMoth - here's what I was able to find: The "Rum" and "Gum" Charley Cemetery is near Middleton and was established in 1884. It has/had under 25 plots (probably closer to 2-4) and had been abandoned to nature. That's gonna be a helluva hunt. :D

My bookmark list is so public! Cemetery Bookmark List

Edited by nericksx

I found a cemetery cach last year and this was in the description

There are thousands of abandoned cemeteries just like this across the US, and every year they fall into deeper disrepair. You can help preserve the knowledge about an abandoned cemetery by registering it at the cemetery transcription library called interment.net

maybe they will have a list of all the old ones in your area

I found a cemetery cach last year and this was in the description

There are thousands of abandoned cemeteries just like this across the US, and every year they fall into deeper disrepair. You can help preserve the knowledge about an abandoned cemetery by registering it at the cemetery transcription library called interment.net

maybe they will have a list of all the old ones in your area

That's a great link, thanks Anno. I personally know of more little cemeteries in my area than are listed on that site, and alas, they did not have info on our friends "Rum" & "Gum", but that's a great resource to keep in mind.

Cemetaries can be creepy at 2AM.

That's all I'm sayin'

One of my best caching memories came from a cemetery cache in Atlanta one moonless midnight.

I was caching with my great friend who shall remain nameless so that I don't embarrass her (you're welcome, Ladebear68 :blink: ).

We're caching in this small old cemetery when she starts shrieking and running for the car. Having my priorities in order I keep looking for the cache. When signing it I look at my watch and it's exactly midnight. I get back to the car and she has all the doors locked and a coat pulled over her head. When I finally convince her to unlock the door I get in and inquire as to what the heck just happened and she swears that one of the crypt lids moved! Too funny! I reach for the GPS to set it for the next cache... and it's dead. Not low battery dead, I mean that GPS flat died at midnight in a cemetery right when she says a crypt opened!

I had to find a 24-hour Wally World and buy a new GPS so we could continue caching. That took a couple of hours so when we have the new unit programmed from my laptop and we're ready to get back to caching I check my watch... and it says 12:00... it died when the GPS did! :anibad:

Coinkydink? You decide! ;)