Caches on school property

Finell

When my kids are old enough to go caching on their own, I wouldn't want them to go to parks near schools. A cache placed in a park near their school might get them trying to find it alone on the way home, and that's exactly what predators would want. We've lived right by schools since we started caching, and I'd rather not place any caches than put one child at risk, or provide a handy excuse for an offender.

I'm having trouble understanding this. I don't mean you any disrespect but it seems like you're saying that there is an age at which your kids would be old enough to cache alone but not old enough to go into a park alone. I don't think a geocache in a park near a school is going to be the tipping point that attracts more sexual predators or that predators shop for parks, near schools, and that have geocaches in them. Predators will be were there are children- period. I also think, and what I've read seems to support this, that you're child is more likely to encounter a predator that they already know that an stranger in the park.

I know this is a very touchy subject and I don't want to come across as second-guessing your motivations, or your parenting.

Well, my parenting is a little off kilter as we have moved from a rural area where everyone knew everybody (and their business) to a large town where we know nobody.

It is hard to be articulate on this subject, its not an easy subject for any of us to discuss, and if I find out some of my fears or assumptions are ill-founded, that's not a bad thing.

Not sure what schools are generally like in USA but in the UK a lot of parks ARE a part of the school. The school grounds extend to a public park with no real boundary. You have said it yourself, Predators are where children are, and some try to get to know children by being a familiar face on the way home. The complete stranger in a rural area, park or otherwise is a lot easier to ignore and steer away from the the friendly, helpful person who says something to you every day (maybe for legitimate reasons) but you have no idea who they really are.

On my child's first walk to school here, there was a man on the pavement in her way. My child said excuse me, to get to the crossing and 2 older kids from the same school said not to talk to him 'because he's a Perve'. When home, we talked about how the man might have different boundaries than most people and went over good body language (and a bit about self defence).

I suppose what I'm saying is yes, there's an age at which children have more freedom to roam (and I'm talking teenagers, not little kids) but I wouldn't want them hanging around in a city park. Cycling through on the way to a sports event or weekend class, no problem. Cache walking with friends through semi-remote countryside in good weather with the knowledge of how to keep time, read a map, use a GPS and mobile phone I would accept before I let them spend an afternoon hanging out in a city park by their school holding that kind of gear.

I can agree with what you say.But not all schools have parks attached to them.And I think the point was weather it is a good idea for adults to geocache on or near school property.

Edited by chachi44089

I suppose what I'm saying is yes, there's an age at which children have more freedom to roam (and I'm talking teenagers, not little kids) but I wouldn't want them hanging around in a city park. Cycling through on the way to a sports event or weekend class, no problem. Cache walking with friends through semi-remote countryside in good weather with the knowledge of how to keep time, read a map, use a GPS and mobile phone I would accept before I let them spend an afternoon hanging out in a city park by their school holding that kind of gear.

I think I have a better understanding of what you're saying. I know you didn't have to, but thanks for clearing that up. I think if I had to rate a city park vs semi-remote countryside I'd feel better if my kids were not at the city park- doubly so if they had a valuable piece of electronics in their hands.

My point of view in terms of school yards and playgrounds is kind of skewed from the usual- we home school (but we aren't "typical" American homeschoolers.)