Caches on school property

Finell

Hi everyone...

My son wants to hide a micro at his school. I'm not sure if I can. It's on school property outside and is accessible 24/7. I checked the guidelines and it says:

"Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

"There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain this in a note to the reviewer. If you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache page for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache."

I'm confused...can or can't I?

Hi everyone...

My son wants to hide a micro at his school. I'm not sure if I can. It's on school property outside and is accessible 24/7. I checked the guidelines and it says:

"Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

"There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain this in a note to the reviewer. If you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache page for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache."

Get permission, in writing, from the school and you should be good to go.

Even if you got permission from the school and from the reviewer, I would NEVER place a cache on K-12 school property.

I agree. There are just too many people around who will always question the presence of strangers, especially ones who are acting suspiciously, and like it or not, when seen by those who don't play the game, we all look very suspicious.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Hi everyone...

A. If you son has permission and has the name of a contact person and contact information,

B. You explain the situation to the reviewer and ask for an exception,

C. The cache page indicates it is hidden by permission.

Then you might have it listed. The key phrase is "There may be some exceptions".

I hid a cache less than 150 feet to a elementary school, it was on county park property. I explained that from the cache you can't see the school and from the school you can't see the cache site. It was approved without any problems.

But I would encourage you to get your information, make a rough cache page with co-ordinates and then email your reviewer explaining the details and ask if he would publish the cache.

This would end up being a problem for someone. Yes you have the ok to do it, but Mrs. Jones across the street doesn't know that. She'll be on the TX to 911 when anyone looks for the cache. Encourage your boy to set up a cache somewhere else. I think it is neat he wants to do that.

Edited by hoosier guy

This would end up being a problem for someone. Yes you have the ok to do it, but Mrs. Jones across the street doesn't know that. She'll be on the TX to 911 when anyone looks for the cache. Encourage your boy to set up a cache somewhere else. I think it is neat he wants to do that.

Exactly my thinking.

I wouldn't place one at a grade school even with written permission and reviewer approval. There are just too many things that could go wrong. people get suspicious of any adult hanging around an elementary school. Unless maybe you can place it in the parking lot some distance from the actual school itself. All in all it is up to you.

There are caches on school property, but those are generally placed as a class project with the teacher in supervision and other school personnel aware and approving.

I do not think I would venture into allowing an individual (even if it were a student) to do that. Too much that could go wrong with something like this. My 2¢ worth!

What everybody has said. Sooner or later some parent will call the police when some cacher is acting suspicious. With that said, if your son wants to link a cache to the school perhaps there is a sign that is accessible from the street that he could use as a first stage of a multi, with cachers gathering the information there to lead to a multi away from school grounds.

Keep in mind also that 'visitor' to a school are more often than not required to stop by the secretarys office to sign in as a 'visitor' and get a visitors badge or whatever. Unless the principal and stuff are totally behind the idea, I doubt the administration would want to deal with visitors who are there just to grab a geocache.

Even if you got permission from the school and from the reviewer, I would NEVER place a cache on K-12 school property.

I agree. There are just too many people aropund who will always question the presence of strangers, esescially ones who are acting suspiciously, and like it of not, when seen by those who don't play the game, we all look very suspicious.

I agree. I have some first hand experience with this situation, as it happens. My wife is the principal of a Christian K-10 school, a position she started last summer. When I started caching, I noticed there was one on the school's property, though not near any buildings. The cache was up for adoption, so I figured I'd be a good candidate to take it over. When I told my wife about it, she was concerned but thought it might work out. When people started telling her about suspicious people parking in the school parking lot and heading off into the woods, I realized I had to either get rid of the cache, or get people to not go into the school to park.

Accordingly, I edited the cache page to clearly state that people should park across the street and not at the school, since it was alarming staff. Unfortunately, the next cacher to go for the cache not only didn't honor this request, they stated in their log that they had parked at the school.

That was the end of that cache.

When it comes to kids and threats to them, people take the activities of those around schools VERY seriously. My aunt is a teacher at a private school in Colorado, and if someone even stops their car by the fence when kids are at play, the staff has to notify the police.

Caches at grade schools are just not a good idea.

One of my favorite caches is a multi-cache on school grounds. It was placed with the blessing of the school staff, and it highlights the murals painted on the campus by students. The owner emphasized that visitors were welcome when school was not in session.

It was a maintenance headache because the cache kept getting muggled. Eventually, the owner moved the cache off campus and replaced the regular container with a micro.

I wouldn't place one at a grade school even with written permission and reviewer approval. There are just too many things that could go wrong. people get suspicious of any adult hanging around an elementary school. Unless maybe you can place it in the parking lot some distance from the actual school itself. All in all it is up to you.

I recall one not long ago that was placed on school grounds with permission of the principal and still resulted in a police response and a school lockdown.

I had a school Cache placed for about a week. Just because the Administration knows does not mean the rest of the school staff, children, parents.... etc know... So I moved the caches, but they are all named for the school and the logs are posted outside my computer lab so the students know who has found the school caches.... Our TB got muggled first day out though..

I had a school Cache placed for about a week. Just because the Administration knows does not mean the rest of the school staff, children, parents.... etc know... So I moved the caches, but they are all named for the school and the logs are posted outside my computer lab so the students know who has found the school caches.... Our TB got muggled first day out though..

Some interesting responses here. There is an absolute slew of school caches with principal permission in my area. I can think of two elementary schools in the same district with 3 or 4 apiece on the property (the one school has a nature trail). All these caches make it clear you are only to look for when school is not in session. I've never heard of any problems.

I've found a cache on school property. Amazingly enough, a vortex did not open when I found it and I was not swarmed by the SWAT team for putting my foot on school property. I also found it on a weekend and no kids were around. The cache page stated that the administration had given full permission. If I hadn't seen that I would have never looked for it.

Would I place one on school property? Heck no. Too high a chance for things to go missing.

Accordingly, I edited the cache page to clearly state that people should park across the street and not at the school, since it was alarming staff. Unfortunately, the next cacher to go for the cache not only didn't honor this request, they stated in their log that they had parked at the school.

There's been a number of times when I've balked at placing a cache in an otherwise fine location because I knew that cachers would park in stupid places.

Some interesting responses here. There is an absolute slew of school caches with principal permission in my area. I can think of two elementary schools in the same district with 3 or 4 apiece on the property (the one school has a nature trail).

All these caches make it clear you are only to look for when school is not in session.

Fine... except that many of us don't read the cache listings. My normal manner is to use 'Next Nearest' to go from cache to cache... if I don't find it then I will pull up the cache listing on my Blackberry.

The two most prolonged and intensive police interrogations I have ever been subject to came when I was hunting caches... one on and one just close to school grounds. Both happened after school hours, one on a Saturday, both had permission and both were archived after my experience.

I've never heard of any problems.

You have now! :)

Some interesting responses here. There is an absolute slew of school caches with principal permission in my area. I can think of two elementary schools in the same district with 3 or 4 apiece on the property (the one school has a nature trail).

All these caches make it clear you are only to look for when school is not in session.

Fine... except that many of us don't read the cache listings. My normal manner is to use 'Next Nearest' to go from cache to cache... if I don't find it then I will pull up the cache listing on my Blackberry.

The two most prolonged and intensive police interrogations I have ever been subject to came when I was hunting caches... one on and one just close to school grounds. Both happened after school hours, one on a Saturday, both had permission and both were archived after my experience.

I've never heard of any problems.

You have now! :(

Well, I meant I've never heard of any problems on all the school caches in my area. :D

I do agree though, they have a great potential for having problems such as you mentioned.

I don't really see this as a matter of can or can't but rather... should or should not... speaking from personal experience here, I would give an emphatic should not. There are just way too many reasons why it's not considered a good idea... I sometimes cache alone, I am male... one call to the police and geocaching is then banned from the town... true story. :)

I don't really see this as a matter of can or can't but rather... should or should not... speaking from personal experience here, I would give an emphatic should not. There are just way too many reasons why it's not considered a good idea... I sometimes cache alone, I am male... one call to the police and geocaching is then banned from the town... true story. :)

Unfortunately, these days, it's all about perception. The one time when my kids provide a fantastic cover. However, when I'm caching by myself...I avoid places like that.

If you think you'll look suspicious while hunting a cache in a certain area, perhaps you should be the one making the call and not the cache owner that has explicit permission?

Or is this a case of "all caches should be available to everybody and a cache on school grounds is 'not available' to me, a single male adult"?

I understand the reason for caution, but I don't think that translates into *should not* be placed in the case of explicit permission.

I have looked at many pics of people on this site and I have to say that I think most would not draw too much negative attention.Yes I know that I might be stereo-typing a bit,but I have alot of experience in that area.lol.I am 40 years old and one of my hobbies is playing guitar in an old school heavy metal band.I am 6 feet tall and weigh 350 lbs,with fairly long messy hair and walk with a cane.I know I scare most young kids and most parents.So school caches are definitely out for me.lol..If this were a dating site I think I just blew my chance at love :)

i have had a cache published 20 feet from an elementary school by a reviewer no questions asked but the same reviewer turned me down on a cache i placed 300 feet away from a high school in a public park saying it was to close to a school. I have also found a cache on a school campus that the same reviewer published. So who knows! :):D:blink:

i have had a cache published 20 feet from an elementary school by a reviewer no questions asked but the same reviewer turned me down on a cache i placed 300 feet away from a high school in a public park saying it was to close to a school. I have also found a cache on a school campus that the same reviewer published. So who knows! :):D:blink:

Sometimes the reviewer has some history of a location that inform their decision. Sometimes they don't know where you're putting a cache near a school unless you explicitly tell them. Could be a host of reasons.

I have looked at many pics of people on this site and I have to say that I think most would not draw too much negative attention.Yes I know that I might be stereo-typing a bit,but I have alot of experience in that area.lol.I am 40 years old and one of my hobbies is playing guitar in an old school heavy metal band.I am 6 feet tall and weigh 350 lbs,with fairly long messy hair and walk with a cane.I know I scare most young kids and most parents.So school caches are definitely out for me.lol..If this were a dating site I think I just blew my chance at love :)

There's someone for everyone Bro! :-)

Do we have to settle for just one?

hehehe..Im good..Married with children.Thanx for the good words!

Can and should are often two very different things, and in this case, I wouldn't worry so much about whether or not it fits into the rules. I think it's generally a pretty bad idea to have strangers skulking around in the bushes during school hours, or especially while recess is in session. My advice is to find a better location.

EDIT - I should have read the entire thread first, as my POV is redundant. Still, I would personally probably avoid a cache on school grounds, rather than expose myself (ahem!) to the potential hassle.

Edited by California66er

Do we have to settle for just one?

:D

I have looked at many pics of people on this site and I have to say that I think most would not draw too much negative attention.Yes I know that I might be stereo-typing a bit,but I have alot of experience in that area.lol.I am 40 years old and one of my hobbies is playing guitar in an old school heavy metal band.I am 6 feet tall and weigh 350 lbs,with fairly long messy hair and walk with a cane.I know I scare most young kids and most parents.So school caches are definitely out for me.lol..If this were a dating site I think I just blew my chance at love :wub:

Should have known, you guitar players are babe magnets!

Ya also need to ask about times of day (may have been mentioned already) and post prohibited times of day.

And remember that not everyone reads the cache description.

I can imagine how I would react if I showed up at one of my kids schools during school hours and saw somebody I didn't recognize sulking around.

Grabs mag light.

What the hell are you doing here? Yeah right, sure you are. I'm a geocacher, more likely your some scumbag with a gpsr using geocaching as a cover. Get the hell outta here before your skull becomes a cracked brain cache, I CITO your a** to that location I have been saving for people like you and list you as archived.

Okay okay, so I would call the cops and variably accost the person without the caching references.

~~~ANd to And~~~

Edited by Vater_Araignee

When my kids are old enough to go caching on their own, I wouldn't want them to go to parks near schools. A cache placed in a park near their school might get them trying to find it alone on the way home, and that's exactly what predators would want. We've lived right by schools since we started caching, and I'd rather not place any caches than put one child at risk, or provide a handy excuse for an offender.

When my kids are old enough to go caching on their own, I wouldn't want them to go to parks near schools. A cache placed in a park near their school might get them trying to find it alone on the way home, and that's exactly what predators would want. We've lived right by schools since we started caching, and I'd rather not place any caches than put one child at risk, or provide a handy excuse for an offender.

~pinch~

You aren't wearing green

I'm having trouble understanding this. I don't mean you any disrespect but it seems like you're saying that there is an age at which your kids would be old enough to cache alone but not old enough to go into a park alone. I don't think a geocache in a park near a school is going to be the tipping point that attracts more sexual predators or that predators shop for parks, near schools, and that have geocaches in them. Predators will be were there are children- period. I also think, and what I've read seems to support this, that you're child is more likely to encounter a predator that they already know that an stranger in the park.

I know this is a very touchy subject and I don't want to come across as second-guessing your motivations, or your parenting.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I have looked at many pics of people on this site and I have to say that I think most would not draw too much negative attention.Yes I know that I might be stereo-typing a bit,but I have alot of experience in that area.lol.I am 40 years old and one of my hobbies is playing guitar in an old school heavy metal band.I am 6 feet tall and weigh 350 lbs,with fairly long messy hair and walk with a cane.I know I scare most young kids and most parents.So school caches are definitely out for me.lol..If this were a dating site I think I just blew my chance at love :grin:

lol..maybe 15 years ago..these days I would need a HUGE "babe magnet"..hehe :wub:

There are caches on school property, but those are generally placed as a class project with the teacher in supervision and other school personnel aware and approving.

I do not think I would venture into allowing an individual (even if it were a student) to do that. Too much that could go wrong with something like this. My 2¢ worth!

My son's charter school held a popular geocaching course as one of their summer sessions last year, and even they don't have any geocaches near the school. I think that's the safe choice.

Lurking around school property during or after hours is just not cool.Too many bad things happen these days around schools.And school security doesnt need the added hassle of dealing with anything more.Many schools host after school activities and students may still be there after hours.As a parent of two young girls I would call the law if i saw someone suspicious at their school.I think there are more than enough places for a cache than to be messing around near school property.Even with the permission of the school that doesnt mean the parents there to pick up their kids know what is going on.Very bad idea..

I'm having trouble understanding this. I don't mean you any disrespect but it seems like you're saying that there is an age at which your kids would be old enough to cache alone but not old enough to go into a park alone. I don't think a geocache in a park near a school is going to be the tipping point that attracts more sexual predators or that predators shop for parks, near schools, and that have geocaches in them. Predators will be were there are children- period. I also think, and what I've read seems to support this, that you're child is more likely to encounter a predator that they already know that an stranger in the park.

I know this is a very touchy subject and I don't want to come across as second-guessing your motivations, or your parenting.

I work in the criminal justice system, and am around felons (including sex offenders) every day at work. Because of that, I tend to be more paranoid than usual when it comes to my son's safety. But I just wanted to mention that I've run into known sex offenders in grocery stores, hobby shops, libraries and just this past Sunday, a video game store. In toy stores and the toy sections in mass-merchandise stores, I've seen people that I didn't know, but displayed behavior that made me suspicious. Interestingly enough, I've yet to see one whilst out geocaching or in a park. I'm not saying that they aren't there. I'm just saying that they're everywhere, and wanted to remind parents that you need to be careful all the time, not just when a park is near. I get sooo annoyed when I see parents in a store who just send their young kids off to play in the toy section while they do their shopping!

Please don't think I'm criticizing anyone on this board...I'm not. Okay...I'm off my soap box now!!

I work in the criminal justice system, and am around felons (including sex offenders) every day at work. Because of that, I tend to be more paranoid than usual when it comes to my son's safety. But I just wanted to mention that I've run into known sex offenders in grocery stores, hobby shops, libraries and just this past Sunday, a video game store. In toy stores and the toy sections in mass-merchandise stores, I've seen people that I didn't know, but displayed behavior that made me suspicious. Interestingly enough, I've yet to see one whilst out geocaching or in a park. I'm not saying that they aren't there. I'm just saying that they're everywhere, and wanted to remind parents that you need to be careful all the time, not just when a park is near. I get sooo annoyed when I see parents in a store who just send their young kids off to play in the toy section while they do their shopping!

Please don't think I'm criticizing anyone on this board...I'm not. Okay...I'm off my soap box now!!

I couldnt agree more.I just feel very strongly about caching around schools.Why make yourself "look"like you are up to no good when you have a choice not to.People stereo-type,its just human nature.

I have looked at many pics of people on this site and I have to say that I think most would not draw too much negative attention.Yes I know that I might be stereo-typing a bit,but I have alot of experience in that area.lol.I am 40 years old and one of my hobbies is playing guitar in an old school heavy metal band.I am 6 feet tall and weigh 350 lbs,with fairly long messy hair and walk with a cane.I know I scare most young kids and most parents.So school caches are definitely out for me.lol..If this were a dating site I think I just blew my chance at love :grin:

lol..maybe 15 years ago..these days I would need a HUGE "babe magnet"..hehe :wub:

:grin: You are preaching to the choir Bro!!!

Well, my parenting is a little off kilter as we have moved from a rural area where everyone knew everybody (and their business) to a large town where we know nobody.

It is hard to be articulate on this subject, its not an easy subject for any of us to discuss, and if I find out some of my fears or assumptions are ill-founded, that's not a bad thing.

Not sure what schools are generally like in USA but in the UK a lot of parks ARE a part of the school. The school grounds extend to a public park with no real boundary. You have said it yourself, Predators are where children are, and some try to get to know children by being a familiar face on the way home. The complete stranger in a rural area, park or otherwise is a lot easier to ignore and steer away from the the friendly, helpful person who says something to you every day (maybe for legitimate reasons) but you have no idea who they really are.

On my child's first walk to school here, there was a man on the pavement in her way. My child said excuse me, to get to the crossing and 2 older kids from the same school said not to talk to him 'because he's a Perve'. When home, we talked about how the man might have different boundaries than most people and went over good body language (and a bit about self defence).

I suppose what I'm saying is yes, there's an age at which children have more freedom to roam (and I'm talking teenagers, not little kids) but I wouldn't want them hanging around in a city park. Cycling through on the way to a sports event or weekend class, no problem. Cache walking with friends through semi-remote countryside in good weather with the knowledge of how to keep time, read a map, use a GPS and mobile phone I would accept before I let them spend an afternoon hanging out in a city park by their school holding that kind of gear.