Does Dakota 10, 20 support field notes?

I have a Map60csx that I love and I currently use a nuvi for my paperless needs. The problem is that it takes too long to get a satellite lock when needed for a cache. I was looking to get a Dakota 10 for a backup as well as my paperless needs and was wondering if this series supported field notes. The Garmin website does not mention if it does or not. The field notes are not necessary but would be an added bonus and might be enough to justify me buying the Dakota.

I have a Map60csx that I love and I currently use a nuvi for my paperless needs. The problem is that it takes too long to get a satellite lock when needed for a cache. I was looking to get a Dakota 10 for a backup as well as my paperless needs and was wondering if this series supported field notes. The Garmin website does not mention if it does or not. The field notes are not necessary but would be an added bonus and might be enough to justify me buying the Dakota.

Check here: http://garmindakota.wikispaces.com/

Thanks for the info. Now if I can find $300 around here some place....

Since this site doesn't have a "lounge", there's no sofa cushions to search.

Seriously - if you plan to use the Dakota 10 in conjunction with your 60Csx, that will give you some abilities you don't have now, but you may find it inconvenient to keep having to bring caches up on both units. While there do still seem to be some differences in speed of settling, etc., both units could probably be combined in the purchase of a Dakota 20 and you'd have a few more features.

Tough call.

I still carry my eTrex Summit HC along with my Dakota 20. I pull it out when the Dakota doesn't settle as quickly as I'd like. Rumor has it that there is firmware for the Colorado/Oregon/Dakota series that will straighten out some of the issues that cause these units to produce a decent EPE more quickly. If that ever pans out, I won't be pulling out my eTrex. Until then, I use it only when I need more accuracy and need it NOW. You may find yourself doing the same for a while, but (fingers crossed) that may not be necessary for much longer.

If you can save towards a Dakota 20 instead of the 10 you'll probably be happier in the long run, the Dakota 10 doesn't support microSD cards. If you shop around you can find decent prices on the Dakota 20, I think I paid around $290 w/ shipping for mine.

With the 20 you'll also get a 3 axis compass and the same unit-to-unit wireless capability the Oregon and Colorado have.

If you can save towards a Dakota 20 instead of the 10 you'll probably be happier in the long run, the Dakota 10 doesn't support microSD cards. If you shop around you can find decent prices on the Dakota 20, I think I paid around $290 w/ shipping for mine.

With the 20 you'll also get a 3 axis compass and the same unit-to-unit wireless capability the Oregon and Colorado have.

Good point. I am also looking at the hike bike bundle which comes with full maps for not that much more $$s. I think once I get used to the unit that I will eventually give up the 60csx but its a tough unit to give up.

Good point. I am also looking at the hike bike bundle which comes with full maps for not that much more $$s. I think once I get used to the unit that I will eventually give up the 60csx but its a tough unit to give up.

Before you pitch the extra $ for maps, be aware that a site called gpsfiledepot.com offers 24K (7.5 degree) maps for free that will work just fine on a Dakotas, and the Dakota 20 will hold one heck of a big micro SD card.