Why don't we have a Moderator?

Konnarock Kid & Marge

Looking at other parts of the GS Forums we notice that there are Moderator(s) assigned to most topical sections. Why hasn't the EarthCache Forum been assigned a Moderator? Would The Powers That Be please consider doing so?

If it is possible, please assign someone who is knowledgeable regarding the nuances of EarthCaching and is certainly open minded regarding this form of geocaching. Another related topic is that the "report" function of the EarthCache Forum doesn't work! When attempting to use it, it always times out. Thanks. :rolleyes:

8 moderators are in charge of this section

EarthChaches

Forum Led by:Site Wide Moderators

the report button is a known issue and has been discussed already in the Geocaching.com section

Thanks for the response, but we would still like to have a specifically named moderator(s) like the "Getting Started Forum who have: Markwell, Motorcycle Mama, etc. Hopefully the moderator would be a fan or participant in EarthCaching. We assume that those folks were named as specific moderators per the topic was because of their interest and/or experience with the topic area.

Disclaimer: our request should not in any way, shape or form be interpreted as having anything against nor is directing any criticism toward those individuals named as Site Wide Moderators!

Is the "report" button out of service for all forums or just this one? :rolleyes:

Regarding the Report button...

I remember a post from one of the Mods a few weeks back which said that although the Report appears to time out every time you 'submit' it does, in fact, go through correctly and ends up where the Mods can see it.

So... it should get someone's attention.

As for wanting your own Mod...

*MrsB backs away quietly into the shadows*

:rolleyes:

Thanks again, but we still need 'our' own moderator. Would you like to volunteer? The thread on a banned cacher proves the need.

i would gladly do it but i am still a noob when it comes to EarthCaches, i wouldn't be qualified

as for that thread, even if the "report" button doesn't work, you could always send a PM to a Moderator with a link to the offending post and an explanation what you find inappropriate about that post

but hope you get your wish granted :)

i would gladly do it but i am still a noob when it comes to EarthCaches, i wouldn't be qualified

but hope you get your wish granted :)

Thanks for being willing.

I am sure that your willingness alone - and your regular contributiosn here on this section of the forum indicates already a "qualification" to take it on.

And I know that the EC approvers and PM's to other contributors will make your job fine.

Is the "report" button out of service for all forums or just this one? :)

features of the forum software apply to the whole site, its not something that can be disabled for specific sections...its a bug

Thanks again, but we still need 'our' own moderator. Would you like to volunteer? The thread on a banned cacher proves the need.

Several forums don't have any moderator at all (National Geodetic Survey, The National Map Corps, Hiking and Backpacking, and several from Geocaching Groups by Country), so this is not an unusual occurrence.

I don't concur with you on the need. We have a pretty quiet and well behaved little section of our forum here and it's a very rare occurrence when a thread gets out of control.

It would be tough for a moderator to do more than moderate in this forum. Answering questions about EarthCaches is more suited for the appropriate regional EarthCache reviewer. And most of those reviewers have their hands full with those reviewing duties already.

If you have a problem with a particular thread why don't you try emailing one of the site wide moderators?

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Is the "report" button out of service for all forums or just this one? :)

features of the forum software apply to the whole site, its not something that can be disabled for specific sections...its a bug

Several forums don't have any moderator at all (National Geodetic Survey, The National Map Corps, Hiking and Backpacking, and several from Geocaching Groups by Country), so this is not an unusual occurrence.

I don't concur with you on the need. We have a pretty quiet and well behaved little section of our forum here and it's a very rare occurrence when a thread gets out of control.

It would be tough for a moderator to do more than moderate in this forum. Answering questions about EarthCaches is more suited for the appropriate regional EarthCache reviewer. And most of those reviewers have their hands full with those reviewing duties already.

If you have a problem with a particular thread why don't you try emailing one of the site wide moderators?

Deane

This is America and you are allowed to disagree! You may be wrong, but you can disagree. Citing the exception "so this is not an unusual occurrence.", doesn't make the rule. MOST other forums have their own moderator(s).

As to it being " tough for a moderator to do more than moderate in this forum." Who asked for the moderator to do more than moderate? We just want them to be knowledageable about EarthCaching and certainly not anti-earthcaching!

We are looking for a moderator not a reviewer. If you have ever submitted an EarthCache, you know to find a reviewer. Reviewers are easy to find and ask specific questions. Also, other experienced EarthCachers are out there to join the forum and lend their knowledge to answering questions.

I don't know what you mean by, " And most of those reviewers have their hands full with those reviewing duties already."? On one hand are you suggesting that specific questions should be taken to reviewers when you say, "answering questions about EarthCaches is more suited for the appropriate regional EarthCache reviewer.", but then stating they are busy enough with all of those "reviewing duties already". Which is it? Take questions to reviewers or not?

Some people are like chickens in the barn yard. If they sense another chicken has lost a feather or two, they pile on and pluck away! That's what we want stopped and I can't help but think you know what I mean! :blink:

EarthChaches

the report button is a known issue and has been discussed already in the Geocaching.com section

Yes, the site wide moderators are listed. Does this one need a dedicated moderator? I don't know honestly.

I am concerned about the reporting function though. If no moderators are assigned, then the global moderators automatically are the ones that are suppose to get the reported posts. If any posts were reported in the topic I just closed, they were not received. This may be because the group is assigned to the forum, which may create some odd quirk. I will have to discuss that with MissJenn after some testing.

And I love Earthcaches, though I have not done that many. I've used one already as a personal milestone cache and have another one picked out for another milestone cache.

EarthChaches

Yes, the site wide moderators are listed. Does this one need a dedicated moderator? I don't know honestly.

I am concerned about the reporting function though. If no moderators are assigned, then the global moderators automatically are the ones that are suppose to get the reported posts. If any posts were reported in the topic I just closed, they were not received. This may be because the group is assigned to the forum, which may create some odd quirk. I will have to discuss that with MissJenn after some testing.

And I love Earthcaches, though I have not done that many. I've used one already as a personal milestone cache and have another one picked out for another milestone cache.

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply. We are not looking for an 'expert' in EarthCaching just someone who is knowledgeable, but above all, accepts EarthCaching as a part of the larger geocaching community. Please consider volunteering to be "our" moderator.

Many of the site wide moderators are Groundspeak VIPs and it may be expecting too much for them to do day-to-day moderating duties. I would feel funny to emailing Jeremy with a personal problem with the forum because he has larger "fish to fry!"

Yes, I did use the report button, twice as a matter of fact. After a while, I looked for a moderator being present on the forums and sent a PM to her. I think it was Eartha. She responded in a very timely manner and said she was not an authorized moderator of the forum but would pass it on.

Thanks for all of your help. :)

Is the "report" button out of service for all forums or just this one? :(

Deane

This is America and you are allowed to disagree! You may be wrong, but you can disagree. Citing the exception "so this is not an unusual occurrence.", doesn't make the rule. MOST other forums have their own moderator(s).

As to it being " tough for a moderator to do more than moderate in this forum." Who asked for the moderator to do more than moderate? We just want them to be knowledageable about EarthCaching and certainly not anti-earthcaching!

We are looking for a moderator not a reviewer. If you have ever submitted an EarthCache, you know to find a reviewer. Reviewers are easy to find and ask specific questions. Also, other experienced EarthCachers are out there to join the forum and lend their knowledge to answering questions.

I don't know what you mean by, " And most of those reviewers have their hands full with those reviewing duties already."? On one hand are you suggesting that specific questions should be taken to reviewers when you say, "answering questions about EarthCaches is more suited for the appropriate regional EarthCache reviewer.", but then stating they are busy enough with all of those "reviewing duties already". Which is it? Take questions to reviewers or not?

Some people are like chickens in the barn yard. If they sense another chicken has lost a feather or two, they pile on and pluck away! That's what we want stopped and I can't help but think you know what I mean! :(

To the OP- you are the one who asked, "please assign someone who is knowledgeable regarding the nuances of EarthCaching".

To explain myself a little more clearly - Moderators are meant to be forum "police" (for lack of a better word). EarthCache reviewers are meant to review EarthCaches.

I can't think of one forum moderator who would be comfortable diving into answering questions about EarthCaches and the associated technical requirements and nuances that they involve. And I can't think of one EarthCache reviewer who has enough time to devote to moderating this forum.

So to answer your question:

Got a forum problem - take it to a moderator

Got an EarthCache question - take it to an EarthCache reviewer (preferably to the one who would most likely be reviewing it).

Now don't get me wrong. This is the place to talk about EarthCaches, our problems, and possible solutions. But to demand a moderator who has the technical abilities of an EarthCache reviewer - I think that's unreasonable at this time.

As for the chicken problem - that bird has shown himself to be pretty resilient. He can stand a little pecking and lose a few feathers. Sometimes I think he actually enjoys it! :D

Deane

To the OP- you are the one who asked, "please assign someone who is knowledgeable regarding the nuances of EarthCaching".

To explain myself a little more clearly - Moderators are meant to be forum "police" (for lack of a better word). EarthCache reviewers are meant to review EarthCaches.

I can't think of one forum moderator who would be comfortable diving into answering questions about EarthCaches and the associated technical requirements and nuances that they involve. And I can't think of one EarthCache reviewer who has enough time to devote to moderating this forum.

Got an EarthCache question - take it to an EarthCache reviewer (preferably to the one who would most likely be reviewing it).

Now don't get me wrong. This is the place to talk about EarthCaches, our problems, and possible solutions. But to demand a moderator who has the technical abilities of an EarthCache reviewer - I think that's unreasonable at this time.

As for the chicken problem - that bird has shown himself to be pretty resilient. He can stand a little pecking and lose a few feathers. Sometimes I think he actually enjoys it! :D

Deane

Why are you so against this? Why do you do this? What's the problem?

Are you the representative of all present and possibly future appointed moderators that you know, "I can't think of one forum moderator who would be comfortable diving into answering questions about EarthCaches ." I am not a moderator and know very few of them, but I would never be so presumptious as to answer for all! Isn't that kind of a put down for a whole lot of moderators?

You said earlier that moderators were meant to be "forum police". Since when does a forum policeman/woman need to be "technically" inclined regarding earthcaches? Knowledgeable yes, a technical expert.....no. Basically, we agree on this point. We both see the role of a moderator the same.

Again, why do you want to deny EarthCachers the opportunity of having a moderator of our own? We never have had one and since Groundspeak is now responsible for approving ECs, things are different. Along with the much welcomed new process wouldn't it be nice to assign a specific moderator to EarthCaching?

presumptuous

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Deane

Why are you so against this? Why do you do this? What's the problem?

Are you the representative of all present and possibly future appointed moderators that you know, "I can't think of one forum moderator who would be comfortable diving into answering questions about EarthCaches ." I am not a moderator and know very few of them, but I would never be so presumptious as to answer for all! Isn't that kind of a put down for a whole lot of moderators?

You said earlier that moderators were meant to be "forum police". Since when does a forum policeman/woman need to be "technically" inclined regarding earthcaches? Knowledgeable yes, a technical expert.....no. Basically, we agree on this point. We both see the role of a moderator the same.

Again, why do you want to deny EarthCachers the opportunity of having a moderator of our own? We never have had one and since Groundspeak is now responsible for approving ECs, things are different. Along with the much welcomed new process wouldn't it be nice to assign a specific moderator to EarthCaching?

presumptuous

I'm not against this, I just don't see a need right now. All our moderators and reviewers are volunteers and give their time freely. I don't think it's fair to stretch the available resources when it isn't needed.

Am I being presumptuous? In a word - yes. Am I correct - yes.

We are very fortunate to have at least two GC.com forum moderators who are also reviewers. Both poke their heads in here when needed. I would put serious money on the fact that neither would call themselves qualified as to the "nuances" of EarthCaches. Well, that's not quite a fair bet is it? One has already said he isn't and the other ... well if you are observant enough you already have a pretty good idea where he stands.

Remember, we are just discussing this. I have one opinion and you have another. TPTB will be the one to decide. I am just one tiny voice here.

Deane

I don't see why it's necessary to have a designated moderator. Geoaware is around to answer Earthcaching questions, and the other moderators are around for those rare occasions when a thread needs moderation. This is a pretty quiet forum, with very few posts - if any - on most days.

I don't see why it's necessary to have a designated moderator. Geoaware is around to answer Earthcaching questions, and the other moderators are around for those rare occasions when a thread needs moderation. This is a pretty quiet forum, with very few posts - if any - on most days.

While I disagree with it, I do value your opinion because it is always given in an even-tempered, above-board manner. You have never displayed hidden agendas. Thanks for that.

Now, I'll tell you exactly why we believe a forum specific moderator would be nice. Too, too often in the past questions have gone unanswered other than by the geocachers themselves, but that's beside the point! We have had to prod, plea and cajole before getting an answer to questions, but that's beside the point! I will be the first to admit, with several new reviewers a new source of knowledge has opened up and that will help, but that's beside the point

Yes, this forum is not as active as others, but when it gets going, it gets hot very quickly. The real reason it would be nice to have 'our' own moderator is this forum often strays way off topic or becomes deeply personal. I don't think it is right or fair of us to expect TPTB to drop their business and monitor this board. Someone assigned to the forum would help. Remember, the "report" button doesn't work.

With a just a modicum of knowledge, the monitor could put a stop to the personal attacks and if he/she have did have the "technical" knowledge, so much the better. Familiarity with EarthCaching is a needed from a potential moderator, but he/she doesn't have to be an expert. If he/she were an expert, wonderful. From the new reviewers, prolific earthcachers, etc., maybe we have a potential moderator?

For the life of me, I don't understand the opposition to an assigned monitor. What harm can it do? What Earth-shaking problem would it cause? The only reason we can see for not having our own monitor is there are not enough of them?

Maybe, just maybe it would help! :D

P.S. I have very little hope this request will be met. At times we feel that EarthCaching is kind of like the "illigetimate child at the family reunion"! :)

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

This forum is pretty tame, even when it's relatively busy.

It's not a moderator's job to answer questions. If you have a pressing Earthcaching-related question that requires a quick answer, the forum might not be the most appropriate venue for asking it. Having a designated moderator doesn't solve that problem.

If there's a problem in the forum, it's not hard to find a mod who is online. The "Geocaching Topics" forum is closely moderated, as is "Getting Started." Ask for help from someone there. If we had a designated moderator, there's no guarantee that person would be online at the right time.

Your characterization of this forum as an unmoderated wild west free-for-all is a little silly. Sometimes, no matter how well a forum is moderated, people are going to bother you. Instead of this tl;dr flailing at everyone who disagrees with you, just ignore the annoying stuff. Or, if someone is really crossing the line, spend a few clicks and find a mod.

While I disagree with it, I do value your opinion because it is always given in an even-tempered, above-board manner. You have never displayed hidden agendas. Thanks for that.

Now, I'll tell you exactly why we believe a forum specific moderator would be nice. Too, too often in the past questions have gone unanswered other than by the geocachers themselves, but that's beside the point! We have had to prod, plea and cajole before getting an answer to questions, but that's beside the point! I will be the first to admit, with several new reviewers a new source of knowledge has opened up and that will help, but that's beside the point

Yes, this forum is not as active as others, but when it gets going, it gets hot very quickly. The real reason it would be nice to have 'our' own moderator is this forum often strays way off topic or becomes deeply personal. I don't think it is right or fair of us to expect TPTB to drop their business and monitor this board. Someone assigned to the forum would help. Remember, the "report" button doesn't work.

With a just a modicum of knowledge, the monitor could put a stop to the personal attacks and if he/she have did have the "technical" knowledge, so much the better. Familiarity with EarthCaching is a needed from a potential moderator, but he/she doesn't have to be an expert. If he/she were an expert, wonderful. From the new reviewers, prolific earthcachers, etc., maybe we have a potential moderator?

For the life of me, I don't understand the opposition to an assigned monitor. What harm can it do? What Earth-shaking problem would it cause? The only reason we can see for not having our own monitor is there are not enough of them?

Maybe, just maybe it would help! :D

P.S. I have very little hope this request will be met. At times we feel that EarthCaching is kind of like the "illigetimate child at the family reunion"! :)

"There is one in every group - just make sure you're not the one"

Love the sig line. How appropriate!

Deane

My father told me that as a young man - I have never forgotten it. It rings true way too often!

As for a moderator, I think these forums are moderated well. When people overstep the line they are dealt with quietly and swiftly by the system. People do need to be reminded to be respectful of each other...that, IMHO, is the answer to most of the angst that happens in here! My guess is that if some of the people who create angst in the forums were placed in a room face-to-face they would show much greater respect for each other than they do online - for some people being online seems to remove their 'filters'. It is sad, as I have found most of these people to be terrific when I have spoken to them face-to-face.

For my part, I am always happy to provide input where I can. I will not however be pulled into personal arguments or debates about specific cache issues - there are better ways to deal with those issues. I do not respond to begging or pleading to become involved in discussions. If it is appropriate for me to comment I will do so.

I also take great offense at any geocaching or EarthCache reviewer being 'flamed' or 'slammed' in these forums. These people give of their time freely to keep the game running and they deserve the ultimate respect.

Lets keep our focus on respecting each other in what we write in these forums...and working with each other to make EarthCaches better for everyone!

Lets keep our focus on respecting each other in what we write in these forums...

I agree with you on this issue.

and working with each other to make EarthCaches better for everyone!

Well, honestly I think that will not be possible. Not all of us have the same idea of a good Earth cache.

What will improve the situation for some people, will make it worse for others. That's simply the reality we all need to accept.

Cezanne