GPS Map 76 for 159.99 CAD a bargain? was. Little Help here....please

:) Hi:

I posted this in a different forum earlier but have not had a response yet. So thought I would try here. Just don't want to miss the sale if it's a good deal. I see there is a whole topic on WAAS so I will try to enlighten myself there...

Hi: I was wondering if some kind soul could tell me if this is of benefit to someone, someone being myself, looking for a good deal on a gps. Right up front let me confess, I am technically inept. CTC has a Garmin GPS Map 76 for sale at 159.99 (Canadian pricing, I live in Ontario). Okay here comes the sad part, I am not even sure if this is suitable for geocaching. If so, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this would be an EASY and I do mean easy outfit for the technically challenged? The only thing I can tell you about the unit is what the flyer says...reg 329.99 WAAS receiver - ummmm whatever that means...Preloaded base maps of major cities, lakes more... Thanking you in advance

:rolleyes: Hi:

I posted this in a different forum earlier but have not had a response yet. So thought I would try here. Just don't want to miss the sale if it's a good deal. I see there is a whole topic on WAAS so I will try to enlighten myself there...

Hi: I was wondering if some kind soul could tell me if this is of benefit to someone, someone being myself, looking for a good deal on a gps. Right up front let me confess, I am technically inept. CTC has a Garmin GPS Map 76 for sale at 159.99 (Canadian pricing, I live in Ontario). Okay here comes the sad part, I am not even sure if this is suitable for geocaching. If so, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this would be an EASY and I do mean easy outfit for the technically challenged? The only thing I can tell you about the unit is what the flyer says...reg 329.99 WAAS receiver - ummmm whatever that means...Preloaded base maps of major cities, lakes more... Thanking you in advance

The 76is ok, but there are far better units out there for Geocaching for not a lot more money. Just the fact that the old 76 connects via serial port will be very frustrating, assuming your computer has a serial port to use.

I think you'd be better off forgetting that one - it might have been a good deal 5 years ago but not now.

You'll immediately regret it.

See if you can get something like this instead, if your budget is really tight.

venture-hc.jpg

An eTrex Venture HC for $129 from GPSCentral: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/e...venture-hc.html

The 76is ok, but there are far better units out there for Geocaching for not a lot more money. Just the fact that the old 76 connects via serial port will be very frustrating, assuming your computer has a serial port to use.

I think you'd be better off forgetting that one - it might have been a good deal 5 years ago but not now.

You'll immediately regret it.

venture-hc.jpg

An eTrex Venture HC for $129 from GPSCentral: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/e...venture-hc.html

I'd agree with this. The Map76 is a dated model and the eTrex Venture HC also has a colour screen. You can get free topo mapping too. (Google for Ibycus Topo)

CTC is not really the best place for bargins on GPS.

Edited by PDOP's

venture-hc.jpg

I'd agree with this. The Map76 is a dated model and the eTrex Venture HC also has a colour screen. You can get free topo mapping too. (Google for Ibycus Topo)

CTC is not really the best place for bargins on GPS.

Also, the HC has a usb connection - a big advantage. Have you ever watched paint dry? It's much more exciting than watching serial gps transfers. Certainly faster, anyway.

Friends don't let friends use serial gps connections... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Thank-you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it and it sounds like you have saved me money ( as I am trying to stay within a budget ) and just as important, have saved me some frustration. Yes, USB would be much better for me, as well.

"Also, the HC has a usb connection - a big advantage. Have you ever watched paint dry? It's much more exciting than watching serial gps transfers. Certainly faster, anyway.

Friends don't let friends use serial gps connections" ......That's funny....not that I know what a serial gps

connection is....

Again thank-you for posting this information for me. I checked out the link you gave me. Awesome!! Glad I asked the question.

Thanks for putting the effort in to reply!

Makes me cringe every time I see CTC having a sale on old models GPSs. A few weeks back they had the Colorado on for $249.

Even as a Colorado owner, I would question whether or not that was a good deal. However, they do have a great price match policy and with their usual high prices, if you can find a suitable GPS with a lower price locally, you can get a good deal

Edited by Styk

Makes me cringe every time I see CTC having a sale on old models GPSs. A few weeks back they had the Colorado on for $249.

Even as a Colorado owner, I would question whether or not that was a good deal. However, they do have a great price match policy and with their usual high prices, if you can find a suitable GPS with a lower price locally, you can get a good deal

Thanks Styk: I guess it's people like me who keep those kind of "sales on old models" going. I wouldn't really know the difference without help from all those who responded to my post. When it says 50% off you assume it's a good deal and not good advertising techniques. I like the GPSCentral link Dr.J and Mr.H gave me and since it has been used with success, I think I'm looking at possibly purchasing the Venture HC. It's a little more than I was originally planning on spending but I think I might not be as intimidated by the technolgoy on this one....here's hoping anyway.

Again thanks to all who helped me out. Greatly appreciated.

Heather :rolleyes:

Hello All,

Went to the site and it is a refurbished unit and they do not know when or if they will ever get the unit. The GPSMap 76 is not worth the money. Not for caching that is. I would go for the Venture or take the plunge into a better GPS like the Oregon that now supports custom maps and satellite imagery. Great for caching and special events.

** When picking a store to buy from I would choose based on who gives you the best support. Do they provide technical support? Live chat? Knowledgeable staff? Tutorials? Videos? News? and good deals without fighting for a price match? Do they pawn you off onto the manufacturer when the sale is done. Just thought I would just mention this because of my past experiences.

Ciao

Hello All,

Went to the site and it is a refurbished unit and they do not know when or if they will ever get the unit. The GPSMap 76 is not worth the money. Not for caching that is. I would go for the Venture or take the plunge into a better GPS like the Oregon that now supports custom maps and satellite imagery. Great for caching and special events.

** When picking a store to buy from I would choose based on who gives you the best support. Do they provide technical support? Live chat? Knowledgeable staff? Tutorials? Videos? News? and good deals without fighting for a price match? Do they pawn you off onto the manufacturer when the sale is done. Just thought I would just mention this because of my past experiences.

Ciao

Wow I am sooo glad I posted here. It sounds like I would have been very disappointed in what I thought was going to be a great deal. I am trying to stay within budget and not invest a lot of money in a unit until I know I will get the use out of it. I know I will enjoy geocaching but I'm not sure of potential converts and I'm not sure I want to venture out on my own. I have a dog but he seems to attract Muggles.

Thanks for the post.

:D

Hello All,

Ciao

Wow I am sooo glad I posted here. It sounds like I would have been very disappointed in what I thought was going to be a great deal. I am trying to stay within budget and not invest a lot of money in a unit until I know I will get the use out of it. I know I will enjoy geocaching but I'm not sure of potential converts and I'm not sure I want to venture out on my own. I have a dog but he seems to attract Muggles.

Thanks for the post.

:D

If you are buying one of the older models like the venture HC make sure you get the HCX--that one will have a micro SD chip for mass storage and will suit you better than one with a small memory

If you are buying one of the older models like the venture HC make sure you get the HCX--that one will have a micro SD chip for mass storage and will suit you better than one with a small memory

The reason the Venture HC was suggested was because it was close to the price Heather was thinking of paying originally for the 76. The HCx is better, no doubt, but it's nearly twice the price.

It's $219 at GPSCentral: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/e...legend-hcx.html

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
The reason the Venture HC was suggested was because it was close to the price Heather was thinking of paying originally for the 76. The HCx is better, no doubt, but it's nearly twice the price.

Yes Dr. J and Mr. H is correct in that I would like to stay within that range. For the present anyway. It would seem, from browsing through these forums, that the resulting truth will be that as my addiction grows so will my collection of gps".

"You might look for a refurbished Venture HC if the cost of a new one is prohibitive"

Thanks. I have been reading the "refurbished" thread and am now considering this as an option Redwoods Mtn Biker

Thanks again for the help. Geez it would be great to have you people along with me whenever I invest in a unfamiliar purchase.

:) Heather

P.S. and maybe you could tell me how to do more than one quote within the same reply....never mind that's a whole new subject....but now you're getting why I need help right?

Yes Dr. J and Mr. H is correct in that I would like to stay within that range. For the present anyway. It would seem, from browsing through these forums, that the resulting truth will be that as my addiction grows so will my collection of gps".

You've probably already noticed that...

Yes, gps collecting is addictive - I have 6 right now!

Thanks again for the help. Geez it would be great to have you people along with me whenever I invest in a unfamiliar purchase.

:) Heather

Always happy to spend money, no matter whose it is!

P.S. and maybe you could tell me how to do more than one quote within the same reply....never mind that's a whole new subject....but now you're getting why I need help right?

Multiple quoting is just a matter of copying and pasting the [quote fields before and after the text to multiple locations within the text. I'm sure you could figure it out.

Hey want to sell one? JK.

..Well you know what they say?

“An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit”

I am guessing that is because some of you people actually enjoy the technical aspects of the units WEIRD!! and their capabilities....( just joking people I know I'm the odd one out here ) and your needs change as you get more engulfed in the sport.

I'm glad you mentioned the serial port versus the USB port earlier. I know for sure that would have frustrated me and reading through some of the threads I see what could have been my futuristic posts.

Always happy to spend money, no matter whose it is!

LOL - Unfortunately for me it's always mine.

Double quote isn't that impressive?

"Master, I observe others, and they seem to know the way."

:wub:

Hey want to sell one? JK.

..Well you know what they say?

“An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit”

Sorry, none for sale right now, but I really don't have that many handhelds anyway. I have 3 Nuvis, 2 Oregon 550s (one belongs to my wife) a Forerunner 201 which we use on the dog, not that he needs to know where he's going, and a Microsoft laptop gps.

So I guess that's actually 7, but who's counting?

All but one of the Nuvis were bought used, just to see how they work, but really, keep looking for the Venture HC, or something similar, if you haven't ordered one already. It'll be better for learning with.

When I originally sent you the link there were some refurbs available there, but I see they don't list them now. Unless you're in a hurry, just keep watching GPSCentral and GPScity.ca - they'll be back with more refurbs before long, I'm sure.

Yeah.....ummm I'm thinking when you've lost count......you know you're addicted when.....

(feel free to throw that one back at me in a couple years)

When I originally sent you the link there were some refurbs available there, but I see they don't list them now. Unless you're in a hurry, just keep watching GPSCentral and GPScity.ca - they'll be back with more refurbs before long, I'm sure.

Yeah I saw them. That's why I was glad to read the "refurbished" thread. I will try to be patient and watch for more. It's gonna be hard though if the weather keeps up like this.

I heard today that there is an Army Surplus not too far from me that my friend thinks sells GPS'. Will have to check it out. The great thing is I am a more educated consumer than I was a couple of days ago.

thanks to you people.

Reading through the forums though I get very nervous that the technology will overwhelm me but, I have been making mental notes of all the helpful threads for what I'm sure will be much-needed references.

Thanks again for your help.

Sure we will meet up again in a "help" thread down the line.

Heather :anibad:

Yeah.....ummm I'm thinking when you've lost count......you know you're addicted when.....

(feel free to throw that one back at me in a couple years)

When I said I have 7, I meant at the moment. :anibad:

If I was to count all the ones I've had over the years I'd need to include my first, an eTrex Legend, an eMap, a Magellan, three Garmin 12XL, a 76S, a 60C, a 60CSx, a 76CSx, a Nuvi 255W, a couple of Palm Compact Flash gpsr, and a few others I don't want to remember!

If I was to count all the ones I've had over the years I'd need to include my first, an eTrex Legend, an eMap, a Magellan, three Garmin 12XL, a 76S, a 60C, a 60CSx, a 76CSx, a Nuvi 255W, a couple of Palm Compact Flash gpsr, and a few others I don't want to remember!

So if I know I’ve owned 62 different GPS’s that means I’m not addicted???

(excellent point)

Ok soooo...come on...give it to me straight. How much time do I have before being sucked into the vortex?

I'm ascared!!

P.S.

Cacheoholic - let me just say, good call on the username.

I've used a Map76 for a few years and have found a lot of caches with it. It works very well and I have no complaints. If I did I would have replaced it.

I gave $75 (US) for it new, not a refurb, when I caught it on sale. $159 (CD), even at the exchange rate, doesn't sound like that good of a deal.

It probably isn't the best for a "technically challenged" person to start with. You have to work thru a couple of pages to get to the waypoint listing. Not difficult but it's not as simple as some other models.

If you could get a MAP76 for a good price then I'd say jump on it but $159 doesn't make that price break.

I gave $75 (US) for it new, not a refurb, when I caught it on sale. $159 (CD), even at the exchange rate, doesn't sound like that good of a deal.

It probably isn't the best for a "technically challenged" person to start with. ..but $159 doesn't make that price break.

Thanks. That seems to be the general response I am getting so I will trust you experts. I am waiting for a refurb Venture HC to show up again on GPScentral. However, if this weather stays as beautiful as it has been I might not have the patience.

Thanks for the input. ;)

Heather

It probably isn't the best for a "technically challenged" person to start with. ..but $159 doesn't make that price break.

Thanks. That seems to be the general response I am getting so I will trust you experts. I am waiting for a refurb Venture HC to show up again on GPScentral. However, if this weather stays as beautiful as it has been I might not have the patience.

Thanks for the input. ;)

Heather

You know, it didn't even occur to me to ask which country you're in, but this might be of some value to you: http://www.drivengps.com/Handheld/GARMIN-E...E-p8339608.html

It's a "GARMIN ETREX VENTURE HC GPS w/ CAR KIT & METROGUIDE CANADA" at $129...

You know, it didn't even occur to me to ask which country you're in, but this might be of some value to you: http://www.drivengps.com/Handheld/GARMIN-E...E-p8339608.html

Hey Mr. H. - Thanks. You're awesome. I live in Ontario. I saw a refurb Garmin eTrex Legend CX on that site too for 109.99. Which is the better GPS for me you think? Remembering simplicity is key.

Thanks again for all your help.

Heather.

I don't know why I say AWESOME so much in type because I don't think I even say it when I'm talking in person. Just an observation. Oh well you're AWESOME all the same.

Edited by Not Pandora's Box

Hey Mr. H. - Thanks. You're awesome. I live in Ontario. I saw a refurb Garmin eTrex Legend CX on that site too for 109.99. Which is the better GPS for me you think? Remembering simplicity is key.

Thanks again for all your help.

Heather.

I don't know why I say AWESOME so much in type because I don't think I even say it when I'm talking in person. Just an observation. Oh well you're AWESOME all the same.

Aw shucks...

A legend Cx would be a great unit - better than the Venture because it will take a micro-sd card.

Ok, I think in my case, it's an addiction - I was on the way home from work and stopped at a local pawn shop and they had a Legend C up for adoption and, of course, I brought it home.

Yikes, I'm a sucker for a gps (at the right price, of course), and this one was priced really well!

No, the Legend Cx is a step backwards because it doesn't have a high-sensitivity chipset. If you get an eTrex, get one with an H in the name. Now a Legend HCx is a better unit than the Venture HC.

Yes, the H series is better, but once again the budget Heather is working with is in the $100 to $130 range, in my understanding... so that's why we're talking about the older Legends.

Ok, I think in my case, it's an addiction

Now doesn't the truth set you free?

I was on the way home from work and stopped at a local pawn shop and they had a Legend C up for adoption and, of course, I brought it home.

Do you have another pet you can attribute it to? Well I guess it makes your collection a nice even number now.

Have you purchased from that last link you gave me? Everytime I pull that page up and consecutive pages I get a security warning. That hasn't happened with the other sites I have been on, so I might be back to waiting it out for the refurb.

Thanks again Mr.H

Heather

No, the Legend Cx is a step backwards because it doesn't have a high-sensitivity chipset. If you get an eTrex, get one with an H in the name. Now a Legend HCx is a better unit than the Venture HC.

Thanks for the advice Redwoods Mtn Biker but unfortunately I am trying to stick within a budget.

Yes, the H series is better, but once again the budget Heather is working with is in the $100 to $130 range, in my understanding... so that's why we're talking about the older Legends.

Thanks for the reply.

Heather