your opinion on an "audio"multi-cache

I got this idea from a previous thread.But mine is a bit different.My idea was for a multi along a route.You would have the coordinates to the first hide wich you would find a home-burnt audio cd,wich you would pop in your car cd player and play to hear the clues to the next stage,and so on.The cd would not contain anything commecial or copy-protected,just my "disguised" voice and maybe some crude sound effects to clue you in to the next stage.They would be placed close to where you park so you dont have to hike back and forth with the clue cd.Just an idea for something creative.Tell me what you think.

I got this idea from a previous thread.But mine is a bit different.My idea was for a multi along a route.You would have the coordinates to the first hide wich you would find a home-burnt audio cd,wich you would pop in your car cd player and play to hear the clues to the next stage,and so on.The cd would not contain anything commecial or copy-protected,just my "disguised" voice and maybe some crude sound effects to clue you in to the next stage.They would be placed close to where you park so you dont have to hike back and forth with the clue cd.Just an idea for something creative.Tell me what you think.

The only problem I see with it is that not everyone has a CD player in their car. I don't and know of many cachers who don't as well. Like the saying goes "Make it and they will come"

The only problem I see with it is that not everyone has a CD player in their car. I don't and know of many cachers who don't as well. Like the saying goes "Make it and they will come"

true,I would have to include that bit of info in the description.

something else to consider is that weather (hot or cold) can do a lot of damage to a CD, you would have to secure it in a very good waterproof container, otherwise depending on the length of time between visits cachers may have the unpleasant surprise of a non working CD

something else to consider is that weather (hot or cold) can do a lot of damage to a CD, you would have to secure it in a very good waterproof container, otherwise depending on the length of time between visits cachers may have the unpleasant surprise of a non working CD

I dont think it would be much of a problem,cars get very hot and cold,and i know moisture is not an issue for them.Maybe a simulation is in need.I did read the rules and guidlines and I cant see where i would be infringing on them.Not sure that i will even attemp this cache,just wanted some input.

its not an ALR, its just a task to complete in order to find the cache, same as you would have to solve puzzle

I don't see this as an issue. There are lots of caches the require special equipment. Boats, scuba gear, climbing gear, etc.

Good points both. Rethinking it, I agree. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the ol' gray matter needs rebooting.

its not an ALR, its just a task to complete in order to find the cache, same as you would have to solve puzzle

I don't see this as an issue. There are lots of caches the require special equipment. Boats, scuba gear, climbing gear, etc.

Good points both. Rethinking it, I agree. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the ol' gray matter needs rebooting.

It's still fairly early for a Sunday. Have another cup of coffee and give it a couple of minutes. The haze will lift.

I've kept CDs in my car for years, winter and summer, and never had a problem. I guarantee that my car's interior gets a lot hotter in the summer than a Tupperware container hidden under the shade of a bounder or inside a hollow log.

To the OP, I think it's a fine idea. My concern would be that some cacher may not have a car CD player and decide to take it home to listen to it, leaving the cache empty for someone else. Maybe place 2 in the container with instructions that 1 must be left in the cache and the other can be taken home, but needs to be returned.

If you specified in the instructions that a portable cd player is needed to complete the cache, I don't see what the problem would be. Surely most people would read the instructions before attempting the cache and a discman or boombox isn't that hard to locate or borrow if you don't have one.

How long do you think that it would be before someone drove off with the CD?

He he,i could see that happening.I like the idea of two cds.I could record on the end of the clue disk to return to cache.I will think it through some more before attempting,maybe test the recording on you guys to see what ya think.Thanks alot for the input.This might just work with some careful planning,and prolly make it a premium member cache might help too.

There's a cache just outside of Ottawa that uses a CD to get you to the various stages, and then you get co-ords for the second to last stage out of what you've gathered.

The first stage was a 50-cal ammo can full of the CDs. Also, because of the need for special equipment (CD Player, and the necessary use of a car), it was listed as a Terrain 5.

There's a cache just outside of Ottawa that uses a CD to get you to the various stages, and then you get co-ords for the second to last stage out of what you've gathered.

The first stage was a 50-cal ammo can full of the CDs. Also, because of the need for special equipment (CD Player, and the necessary use of a car), it was listed as a Terrain 5.

How much does a 50 pack of cds cost now days? Not a bad idea to leave a boatload of 'em with a request to return when done but no worry if they don't.

Another option would be to post a link for an mp3 download so they could put it on their iPhone, iPod, or other device to listen to. This would be an option to those that couldn't play the cd's.

edited to change addition to option as that is what I meant. Thanks GOF.

Edited by ao318

I have searched a couple of caches which require playing a CD on location. No problem in the car. In the field it is a bigger problem since they require portable players. Please note most car CD players do not play MP3 format.

Also I have searched one where MP3 players were hidden in the forest. Cachers needed to bring their own batteries. Unfortunately this cache was very sensitive and required a lot of maintenance (broken headset/player or ripped MP3 players).

I've kept CDs in my car for years, winter and summer, and never had a problem. I guarantee that my car's interior gets a lot hotter in the summer than a Tupperware container hidden under the shade of a bounder or inside a hollow log.

that's true for regular data and audio CDs (those that you can buy), but CD-Rs are much more sensitive than that. exposure to heat can certainly damage the contents.

Edited by dfx