Banned EC Owner?

Sehmket

I went out and hit a couple of ECs today. I came back, logged my find with a pic, answered my trivia questions, and went to send them... and then saw that the EC owner was banned, so I can't send him a message.

Can someone please explain a little bit more about banning to me? Is that something that is likely to be temporary? Should I just not worry about this? Should I hang on to my answers until they get reinstated and send me a message?

I believe the Cache Owner you are referring to is serving a specified "banning sentence". He will be returning (pretty sure about that). Don't know why the ban is in effect and I don't care. Hope he is allowed back soon. :)

I believe you are allowed to log the find in the meantime w/o his email response.

from his profile :rolleyes:

Profile Information:

To geocachers from Groundspeak:

11 Feb 2010

Please go ahead and log caches that you have legitimately found. The cache owner can do appropriate maintenance and log verification after the ban period is terminated.

An honest question was asked but little effort has been made to answer it! To attempt an answer, yes you can be banned for temporary periods or permanently. To me, and I repeat, to ME, it is unclear what gets what. In other words, what offense(s) get what punishments. It's not exactly like the Federal Sentencing Guidelines!

As I have been told on numerous occasions, these forums are not for bad-mouthing other cachers, reviewers, moderators or TPTB and I will not stoop to take advantage of the OPs question for such behavior! Why do others do so?

Where is a moderator when you need one? :rolleyes:

P.S. Also to the OP, if you are worried about answering the required questions you can use the time-honored method of posting your answers on the cache page with your log. Your log will immediately trigger an email (that still works) to the EC owner. After posting, delete the log with the answers and repost. The owner's requirements will be satisfied or you can just simply wait. Thanks.

P.S. No. 2.He cannot email you via GS.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge
from his profile

Profile Information:

11 Feb 2010

Please go ahead and log caches that you have legitimately found. The cache owner can do appropriate maintenance and log verification after the ban period is terminated.

Whoops! That's what I get for not paying close enough attention!

Thanks for all the answers, guys! I'll just hang onto my answers until I get an e-mail from him.

Edited by Sehmket
An honest question was asked but little effort has been made to answer it! To attempt an answer, yes you can be banned for temporary periods or permanently. To me, and I repeat, to ME, it is unclear what gets what. In other words, what offense(s) get what punishments. It's not exactly like the Federal Sentencing Guidelines!

As I have been told on numerous occasions, these forums are not for bad-mouthing other cachers, reviewers, moderators or TPTB and I will not stoop to take advantage of the OPs question for such behavior! Why do others do so?

Where is a moderator when you need one? :rolleyes:

P.S. Also to the OP, if you are worried about answering the required questions you can use the time-honored method of posting your answers on the cache page with your log. Your log will immediately trigger an email (that still works) to the EC owner. After posting, delete the log with the answers and repost. The owner's requirements will be satisfied or you can just simply wait. Thanks.

Thanks for the directions in your P.S. I haven"t run into that situation yet, but I was wondering how to handle it.

Is that guy banned AGAIN?

Seems to be par for the course with him...

And this seems par for course for you. Why do you try and ruffle his feathers when you know where he will be in less than a month? :rolleyes:

Am I supposed to be scared by your extremely veiled threat? I care less what you or he thinks.

Is that guy banned AGAIN?

Seems to be par for the course with him...

And this seems par for course for you. Why do you try and ruffle his feathers when you know where he will be in less than a month? :rolleyes:

Am I supposed to be scared by your extremely veiled threat? I care less what you or he thinks.

Why do you think this as a threat. You have done the same thing the past three years right before MOGA starts. You get on the forums and try to start something with him or me. You always take what should be a fun event for all and make it uncomfortable. It is always comforting that you are not the same person in public that you are behind the keyboard. Now what was thing topic about? Sorry to take it off track. ;)

Why do you think this as a threat. You have done the same thing the past three years right before MOGA starts. You get on the forums and try to start something with him or me. You always take what should be a fun event for all and make it uncomfortable.

:rolleyes:;):D:lol::o

That's the best laugh I have had all day!

Back on topic...if you have the right answers, log it...no harm, no foul.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I have never heard of this "time honored method" and personally would be very upset if it was ever used on one of my EarthCaches. Everyone on the watchlist for that cache would received that email also.

I would not recommend that this method ever be used.

Just keep your answers and be prepared to provide them if asked. If a picture is required make sure you fulfill that requirement at the time you log your find.

I have never heard of this "time honored method" and personally would be very upset if it was ever used on one of my EarthCaches.

Because you have never heard of it doesn't mean others have not heard of it. Don't ever get banned and you will not have to worry about it!

I would not recommend that this method ever be used.

An alternative method of communicating was mentioned. No one recommended anything and we recognize your "time honored" right to recommend or not to recommend. Certainly it would be an exception to the 'normal' method of logging a cache! Being banned is also an exceptional circumstance! I believe if an EarthCache owner objected, he/she would very quickly find a way to inform the logging cacher!

There is also a "back door" method of logging caches which I believe was intended for phones, etc. The log is done, but no email is generated as a result of the log. Now before you object, we are not recommending this too, but it's there! :)

from his profile :)

Profile Information:

11 Feb 2010

I think that post sums it up enough. Log your find and move on. Thanks.