New World Order

mysterycoins

Great looking coin!!! Two-inch diameter - it is immediately on my wishlist. I would like to try the "mystery delivery", I just have no idea where to put my address.

Hi, see post #90 in this thread, the link you need is on the bottom line. Once there, you'll need to post a request to be added to the list as it's invitation only. I suggest you read the whole thread, then you'll get an idea what it's all about.

Good luck, MC

Please do not send this coin to me...

I only have a few coins and am not interested in Mystery coins...

:anicute:April Fools !! :laughing:

No problem, it will save me some postal service charges anyway, I'll just drill your coin and release it :laughing:

If Toojin doesn't want one of them, i will take his :laughing:

I just saw, that there is a tracking number on the picture :laughing: They are trackable? :laughing:

Edited by Dark Elf

Please do not send this coin to me...

I only have a few coins and am not interested in Mystery coins...

:anicute:April Fools !! :laughing:

No problem, it will save me some postal service charges anyway, I'll just drill your coin and release it :laughing:

If Toojin doesn't want one of them, i will take his :laughing:

I just saw, that there is a tracking number on the picture :laughing: They are trackable? :laughing:

Yes, totally trackable mystery coins.

Update: I received photographs of the two new finishes for the Gold & Silver coins yesterday, but I won't be posting those finishes here as originally promised as I wasn't completely satisfied with the look, overall quality or the brightness. So, the original finishes posted earlier in this thread will now be the final ones.

MC

As of this morning, I can officially announce that the 'New World Order' Mystery Coin is now in the production phase, forum users who have posted in this thread (and who have entered contact details on the google list) have now been randomly chosen to receive one of these coins. The lucky recipients will eventually receive a coin in a mystery finish :D

Please note: These mystery gifts will not be posted together on the same day, week, month, year? Which may leave some of you wondering if you'll ever get one at all. Be patient, we all like surprises!

I've recently read several posts in relation to geo-fakes appearing on Ebay. As my investment in producing these mystery coins for this community is quite a hefty one financially, each NWO coin will arrive with an 8 digit alpha-numeric code. This code contains specific information about each coin within my database, so if you're ever offered one of these coins for sale or trade just follow the four steps below and you'll never be disappointed.

(1) Request the unique 8 digit code from the seller/trader.

(2) Request the last digit of the mystery coins tracking number.

(3) Contact me directly with the information above and I'll let you know if it's an authentic NWO mystery coin.

(4) If the seller/trader refuses, point them to this forum post. If they still refuse after that, don't accept the coin.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

- MC

Edited by mysterycoins

<snip> each NWO coin will arrive with an 8 digit alpha-numeric code. This code contains specific information about each coin within my database, so if you're ever offered one of these coins for sale or trade just follow the four steps below and you'll never be disappointed.

</snip>

What a great idea! I'm assuming that this code is on paper and not on the coin? If it is on the coin, is it on the edge?

~J

<snip> each NWO coin will arrive with an 8 digit alpha-numeric code. This code contains specific information about each coin within my database, so if you're ever offered one of these coins for sale or trade just follow the four steps below and you'll never be disappointed.

</snip>

What a great idea! I'm assuming that this code is on paper and not on the coin? If it is on the coin, is it on the edge?

~J

The 8 digit alpha numeric code comes on a card with each coin and should remain with the coin owner. So, if one of these coins eventually becomes a traveller and gets stolen, it would be harder to sell/trade without the code, especially if coin collectors are aware of this thread.

The addition of the code is mainly a precautionary measure to prevent unauthorised copies eventually appearing on Ebay.

</snip>

~J

The 8 digit alpha numeric code comes on a card with each coin and should remain with the coin owner. So, if one of these coins eventually becomes a traveller and gets stolen, it would be harder to sell/trade without the code, especially if coin collectors are aware of this thread.

The addition of the code is mainly a precautionary measure to prevent unauthorised copies eventually appearing on Ebay.

Brilliant! And the coin itself is as well - Good Job!

~J

That is one sharp looking coin. I wam new to collecting This may be a good one to start with, I have 10 other coins that my son had started with but lost interest this will be my first buy. Hopefully I will be able to get one of these, during my geocaching adventures. VERY nice idea as far as the authenticity check with the alpha numeric code.

Edited by North Fork Seekers

I've recently read several posts in relation to geo-fakes appearing on Ebay. As my investment in producing these mystery coins for this community is quite a hefty one financially, each NWO coin will arrive with an 8 digit alpha-numeric code. This code contains specific information about each coin within my database, so if you're ever offered one of these coins for sale or trade just follow the four steps below and you'll never be disappointed.

Very, very clever. And oh-so New-World-Ordery. I love it. : )

It's unfortunate that steps like this have to be taken, this 'authenticity' check could easily be setup by geocoin producers as an 'automated service' for customers/traders/sellers.

MC

Very good idea with this code!!! Bravo!!

So... if we see one that is being sold, before we buy, we ask for the code etc! ;)

Oh! It is a mess with stollen coins and fakes now... this is so sad! :laughing:

Yes, just ask the seller/trader for the unique 8 digit code which comes with each coin and the last digit of the tracking number. I'll be quite happy to answer any future queries about my coins.

- MC

These are beautiful! I sent an email to get my name in the mystery coin address list. I love the idea that someone would be generous enough to give away their coins, especially personally knowing the time, effort and money that goes into making them.

I was lucky enough to find a Easter Geocoin Bunny Egg in one of my caches and that will be in my collection forever, I would really love to have one of these in my collection also. My collection gets activated and travels with me to events for discovery, so it's beauty would definitely be shared. I do not care what finish, they are all beautiful.

It's unfortunate that steps like this have to be taken, this 'authenticity' check could easily be setup by geocoin producers as an 'automated service' for customers/traders/sellers.

MC

This is true, although the activation code should work in that manner also. One would hope that Groundspeak would recognize when, say, someone comes and says "please approve this design" and it's the same exact design as, say, someone else's (and with "geocaching" spelled as "gerocaching") that Groundspeak would say "uh, no". Of course, it could be that I don't particularly understand the process; if Groundspeak approves a coin and sells 1000 tracking codes, but the seller only mints 250 of that design and uses the other 750 for bogus coins (or simply doesn't mint the approved design)...

In that case, though, what's to stop a bogus seller from setting up a bogus authentication method (should that method become standard)? It all boils down to the buyer being aware of what's going on, doesn't it?

I do like your method, though, especially for this coin.

MC

If Groundspeak approves a coin and sells 1000 tracking codes, but the seller only mints 250 of that design and uses the other 750 for bogus coins (or simply doesn't mint the approved design)...

In that case, though, what's to stop a bogus seller from setting up a bogus authentication method (should that method become standard)? It all boils down to the buyer being aware of what's going on, doesn't it?

If some crook is intent on making a fast buck by counterfieting goods and selling them off as the genuine article, then I guess they will (until they get rumbled). All we can do is be vigilant and inform everyone else here that it's happening when we find it, maybe complain... a lot!

All I'm doing is offering a little peace of mind down the road for collectors who may eventually buy or trade these coins. Currently, I'm exploring the possibility of a hologram card with a unique serial number for each coin. (Just numbers I think, as an alpha numeric mix can sometimes be confusing)

Hopefully, collectors won't sell or trade these coins if the card is missing. Because if there's no card accompanying a NWO coin, it could be a stolen traveller or even a counterfiet / unauthorised copy.

MC

All I'm doing is offering a little peace of mind down the road for collectors who may eventually buy or trade these coins. Currently, I'm exploring the possibility of a hologram card with a unique serial number for each coin. (Just numbers I think, as an alpha numeric mix can sometimes be confusing)

Hopefully, collectors won't sell or trade these coins if the card is missing. Because if there's no card accompanying a NWO coin, it could be a stolen traveller or even a counterfiet / unauthorised copy.

If your idea with the hologram card works, it's a very good way to prevent stealing :lol:

But it's sad to see, that such kinds of preventive measures are needed :P

That's an excellent idea!!! Hologram!!! :( I love holograms and I do not think they can make fakes of that! :P

It is sad to see that we have to use security features of banknotes, tickets or inmportant papers so we can be safe and not buy fake geocoins!!!

It is unbelievable what some guys do to "steal" some money from others by making fake... Game Tokens!!! Yes! Geocoins are a kind of game tokens or private medalions!! :wub:

As a coin and banknotes collector, I am so afraid of the thousands of fakes out there! Some are so good that can fool anyone, with or without experiense!

I was afraid that if these guys realise that there is money in geocoins too... (I had posted about my fears in the past).... now I see fake geocoins.... huh!!! :blink:

Missed this thread somehow but both of the coins I have seen on here are very nice. I seem a theme of deferring to some art from real US coins - which of course are awesome. Thanks for sharing and doing your mystery thing. I, too, would be honored and am on the list.

MC

If Groundspeak approves a coin and sells 1000 tracking codes, but the seller only mints 250 of that design and uses the other 750 for bogus coins (or simply doesn't mint the approved design)...

If some crook is intent on making a fast buck by counterfieting goods and selling them off as the genuine article, then I guess they will (until they get rumbled). All we can do is be vigilant and inform everyone else here that it's happening when we find it, maybe complain... a lot!

MC

Even a regular card would be fine (tho, I have to say, a hologram card would be super cool) -- the important thing is making sure that all collectors know that the coin is supposed to have a card with it. They're all good ideas (really cool ideas), but ultimately depend on the buyer's knowledge -- as you point out, a hoodlum could always do something bogus; it's up to the buyer (and the community) to know that it's bogus. So we need to stay vigilant! : )

NWO Update:

I'm happy to announce that a small number of "New World Order" mystery coins have been sent out this morning, more coins will be posted shortly to those lucky members who were randomly chosen. I will also be posting a few NWO cointests over the coming months to give those people who missed out a chance to win a coin or two, so stay tuned.

Before one of these geocoins hits a mailbox I'd like to mention "Mystery Coins" and "eBay", because when these two meet on the forum it's never pretty, which is entirely understandable. As a mystery giver, I'd like to state the following for the record... (before the inevitable mystery coin ethical debate migrates to this thread.)

* All official NWO mystery coins may be gifted, donated, traded, sold, raffled or auctioned by the coin owner, without seeking my prior permission. *

- MC

Edited by mysterycoins

As of this morning, I can officially announce that the 'New World Order' Mystery Coin is now in the production phase, forum users who have posted in this thread (and who have entered contact details on the google list) have now been randomly chosen to receive one of these coins. The lucky recipients will eventually receive a coin in a mystery finish :angry:

Please note: These mystery gifts will not be posted together on the same day, week, month, year? Which may leave some of you wondering if you'll ever get one at all. Be patient, we all like surprises!

(1) Request the unique 8 digit code from the seller/trader.

(2) Request the last digit of the mystery coins tracking number.

(3) Contact me directly with the information above and I'll let you know if it's an authentic NWO mystery coin.

(4) If the seller/trader refuses, point them to this forum post. If they still refuse after that, don't accept the coin.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

- MC

Wow you rock, hope I'm one of the lucky ones.

NWO Update:

I'm happy to announce that a small number of "New World Order" mystery coins have been sent out this morning, more coins will be posted shortly to those lucky members were randomly chosen. I will also be posting a few NWO cointests over the coming months to give those people who missed out a chance to win a coin or two, so stay tuned.

Before one of these geocoins hits a mailbox I'd like to mention "Mystery Coins" and "eBay", because when these two meet on the forum it's never pretty, which is entirely understandable. As a mystery giver, I'd like to state the following for the record... (before the inevitable mystery coin ethical debate migrates to this thread.)

* All official NWO mystery coins may be gifted, donated, traded, sold, raffled or auctioned by the coin owner, without seeking my prior permission. *

- MC

Would it be ethical to BEG for you to send me one as my very first mystery coin??? ;) I could without a doubt guarantee that it would never leave my possesion (other than to brag to other cachers that I got one :angry: ) and then I would snatch it right back out of their hand.

:D That's good new to hear! :D

the lovely coins are ready!!! :D

It is good that you had this statement for your coin (that the new coin owner can do anything he wants with his coin), to avoid any missunderstandings! :angry:

Can I ask something? Will you print that to in a paper to be with the coin so if someone trades or sell the coin, the new owner again will know this? ;) I am talking about a small piece or card that can be in the plastic flip wit the coin....

I believe this will be good!

Any news with the card and the hologram you were talking about? the coin will be free to be sold or trade only if it has the card too? I think this was mentioned.... hmm.. I have to see older posts... :D