Poblem with field notes and UTC vs local

Zop

First I tried to search for this topic but got this:

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

So, here is a post that most likely has been addressed before but the search tool here isn't worth the time to use anymore.

Anyway, my issue may be related to the most recent FW update by Garmin but with all the changes to the GC site, I figured I would raise the issue here first.

Just last week I began to notice that although the field notes seem to display the correct dates when I look at them, when I go to log them the date of the log shows the following day, not the day I found the cache and added it to the field notes. It seems like this must be an issue with my local time, the time zone on the GPS and/or something to do with this site.

My profile shows - Time Zone:Pacific : Pacific Time (U.S. & Canada) Show Daylight Savings Time

the GPS's that are experiencing this issue: Garmin Oregon 400t AND Garmin Colorado 300

Oregon time zone setting: US - Pacific Daylight Saving Time - Automatic. Format 24 hour

Colorado time zone setting: US - Pacific Daylight Saving Time - Automatic. Format 12 hour

Is this a bug with geocaching.com or is this something Garmin needs to address?

I'm also noticing this behaviour, but I don't think it's a Garmin issue because the fields notes are simply stored in UTC time and hence, time zones are irrelevant (at least until the field notes are uploaded to geocaching.com).

After uploading my field notes, I find that the list of field notes has the correct date and time, but when I click the Compose Log link, the Date Logged changes to the next day.

Exhibit A - Fields notes list with correct date:

fnotes1.jpg

Exhibit B - Post a New Log with incorrect date:

fnotes2.jpg

Exhibit C - The original field notes file from my Colorado 300:

GC22EZE,2010-03-14T00:01Z,Found it,""
GC22BCY,2010-03-14T00:11Z,Found it,""
GC24D5D,2010-03-14T00:27Z,Found it,""
GC24EY3,2010-03-14T00:43Z,Found it,""
GC22BD6,2010-03-14T01:13Z,Found it,""

Edited by Teddy2k

Interesting... I just realized when I posted the field notes that the dates ARE on March 14 when in UTC time. This definitely appears to be a site issue... it's converting the UTC times to the local timezone for the list of field notes, but apparently doesn't do it when composing the log for each field note.

Yes, topic has come up a few times, but the search function of the site leaves much to be desired.

When you view the field notes summary, time is displayed adjusted to your local time zone.

When you log your cache, the date is straight off the UTC date.

If you're in Pacific time zone, this means that all finds after 4 p.m. (after 5 p.m. when daylight saving starts) will be logged as the next day, unless you adjust the date manually.

Groundspeak knows about the issue.

Edit : Just want to add that for now, there's only one thing we can do. Use an external application to modify the field note date, and set time zone to UTC / GMT without daylight saving adjustment.

Edited by Chrysalides

I'm also noticing this behaviour, but I don't think it's a Garmin issue because the fields notes are simply stored in UTC time and hence, time zones are irrelevant (at least until the field notes are uploaded to geocaching.com).

After uploading my field notes, I find that the list of field notes has the correct date and time, but when I click the Compose Log link, the Date Logged changes to the next day.

Exhibit A - Fields notes list with correct date:

fnotes1.jpg

Exhibit B - Post a New Log with incorrect date:

fnotes2.jpg

Exhibit C - The original field notes file from my Colorado 300:

GC22EZE,2010-03-14T00:01Z,Found it,""
GC22BCY,2010-03-14T00:11Z,Found it,""
GC24D5D,2010-03-14T00:27Z,Found it,""
GC24EY3,2010-03-14T00:43Z,Found it,""
GC22BD6,2010-03-14T01:13Z,Found it,""

This is EXACTLY what we have been seeing with both the Colorado 300 and an Oregon 400.

Do they? I haven't seen an official reply on this one.

I've seen one by moun10bike in January, and one by opinionate in February. No promise of a fix, not unusual for Groundspeak. Which is why I respond to these threads to keep the topic fresh :rolleyes:

Yes, topic has come up a few times, but the search function of the site leaves much to be desired.

When you view the field notes summary, time is displayed adjusted to your local time zone.

When you log your cache, the date is straight off the UTC date.

If you're in Pacific time zone, this means that all finds after 4 p.m. (after 5 p.m. when daylight saving starts) will be logged as the next day, unless you adjust the date manually.

Edit : Just want to add that for now, there's only one thing we can do. Use an external application to modify the field note date, and set time zone to UTC / GMT without daylight saving adjustment.

So perhapse the short term fix would be to change the GPS time setting to UTC?

Do they? I haven't seen an official reply on this one.

I've seen one by moun10bike in January, and one by opinionate in February. No promise of a fix, not unusual for Groundspeak. Which is why I respond to these threads to keep the topic fresh :rolleyes:

Weren't those from before the most recent bug?

I find it odd that Jeremy hyped the improved communication from the developers, yet they continue to ignore repeated threads about some issues. I don't think the message got through to the staff.

Weren't those from before the most recent bug?

I find it odd that Jeremy hyped the improved communication from the developers, yet they continue to ignore repeated threads about some issues. I don't think the message got through to the staff.

Jan's update introduced new bugs to field notes. moun10bike posted to say the current behavior is (more or less) how field notes are designed to work for the moment (actually, instead of time zone, the field notes summary list is supposed to always use PST).

After the February update, I posted a summary of how it works right now, and opinionate acknowledged it.

As for Jeremy's post regarding improved communications, I have my thoughts about it, but I'll pass on either criticizing GS or making excuses for them here since I'm not qualified to do either. I've adopted a more resigned approach to minor annoyances on the site and fix what I can on my end through GreaseMonkey and other means.

Jan's update introduced new bugs to field notes. moun10bike posted to say the current behavior is (more or less) how field notes are designed to work for the moment (actually, instead of time zone, the field notes summary list is supposed to always use PST).

After the February update, I posted a summary of how it works right now, and opinionate acknowledged it.

As for Jeremy's post regarding improved communications, I have my thoughts about it, but I'll pass on either criticizing GS or making excuses for them here since I'm not qualified to do either. I've adopted a more resigned approach to minor annoyances on the site and fix what I can on my end through GreaseMonkey and other means.

As a paying subscriber, yes you ARE qualified to criticize GS. While it's no major expense on our part, we are paying for the services rendered. I would at the very least expect the site to be fully functional and for bugs to be addressed as they arise.

I would NOT appreciate that we, the paying customers, should be expected to resolve issues on our own by using non standard software and custom scripts.

Bad business management period.

I am having the same issue. I use Cacheberry and the time zone is set for Central and is the same on the GC.com site. I first checked to see if it was a Cacheberry issue, but learned it was a GC.com issue. It is a pain to have to change the date back when you are flying through your logs. Hope to see the fix soon!

-TWS

I'm not sure if this is significant or can help with troubleshooting. The displayed time does not correct for daylight saving time. Right now, if I make a find at 6 p.m., it displays as found at 5 p.m., and logs as the next day (unless I correct it). I have DST turned on in my profile, and time zone set to Pacific.