Found my first cache.

Coldgears

I recently found my first cache. I've heard about Geocaching before but never had a GPS to do it with. So, when I saw an app of my Android that allowed for Geocaching I was more then ecstatic to finally try it out. I found my first one on 3/7/10 and it was my favorite find so far, the view was beautiful. I have found 8 so far now and I'm still looking. I want to hide one, I think I have the perfect spot. I'm going to hide it on a rain drain pipe. You have to bend your back and slowly walk through it and about 20 feet in you get to a clearing. I'm going to either A find a ledge to place it in, or more likely, B use industrial glue to place the lid to the wall so you can detach the contained and place it back on the lid. Maybe, I'll hold it down with rocks. The real issue is when it rains the water would wash it away... Another issue I have is that the clearing is that the "cavern" you have to go in is in the woods, but the clearing is actually under someone's backyard. It shouldn't be an issue because technically you aren't in their backyards, but if I post the exact coordinates maybe people would think it was in the backyard and you didn't have to go into the cavern and "crawl" to the spot in the ground. Could I just mention that in the description? I personally think this is more creative then throwing out the window of my car and into a guard rail.

Oh, and here is a picture of the beautiful view of my first cache.

a229c2fa-f89a-4c7f-9b06-ef426178ef2e.jpg

Congratulations on your first find!!! And welcome to the addiction!! Looks like a beautiful place!!

Don't mean to sound negative but you might consider some things about your proposed hide.

Number one, your GPS is not going to work underground. So you will not be able to get accurate coordinates to the location.

Number two, even if you were able to get exact coordinates by some other means, the Cachers who come look for it are going to be using GPS that doesn't work underground either. So they are going to assume it is in the back yard you describe.

It does sound like a cool place, but I am afraid it just won't work. Since you seem to be giving some thought to it, perhaps you could come up with another great idea.

Happy hunting!!!

i've seen underground caches in a couple of varieties. first of all, exact coordinates of the cache location as the OP suggested (or well, as good coordinates as they could get), with the entrance being further down the trail and the cache description telling people where and how to find the cache inside. there was also one not telling people where to find the cache inside, this one was listed as 5 difficulty (somehow the coords were supposed to be spot on though).

second, the posted coords pointing to the entrance of the cave or sewer or whatever. i've seen those coming in variants of traditional cache (not strictly conforming to guideline i assume, but they were still there), multis (best fit to the guidelines IMO) and also mysteries, each with the description telling people on how and where to find the cache.

Edited by dfx

i've seen underground caches in a couple of varieties. first of all, exact coordinates of the cache location as the OP suggested (or well, as good coordinates as they could get), with the entrance being further down the trail and the cache description telling people where and how to find the cache inside. there was also one not telling people where to find the cache inside, this one was listed as 5 difficulty (somehow the coords were supposed to be spot on though).

second, the posted coords pointing to the entrance of the cave or sewer or whatever. i've seen those coming in variants of traditional cache (not strictly conforming to guideline i assume, but they were still there), multis (best fit to the guidelines IMO) and also mysteries, each with the description telling people on how and where to find the cache.

Okay, I'm stuck between posting the exact coordinates, and telling people that it is underground; or just posting the entrance coordinates and telling them to go inside to the first clearing. Option 1 would be more fitting to the guidelines but runs the risk of people not reading the description. Option 2 would be a little less fitting to the guidelines but there wouldn't be much of a risk of people going on private property. I'll take a few pictures of the spot inside and outside once it stops raining. It should stop on Monday afternoon for sure, there is like a 50 - 70 percent of stopping on sunday... Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to take a picture sooner. I'll try my best, if I find a period of about an hour with no rain I'll try to get a picture of the area.

Okay, I'm stuck between posting the exact coordinates, and telling people that it is underground; or just posting the entrance coordinates and telling them to go inside to the first clearing. Option 1 would be more fitting to the guidelines but runs the risk of people not reading the description. Option 2 would be a little less fitting to the guidelines but there wouldn't be much of a risk of people going on private property.

i forgot to mention that in all cases i've seen where the actual coordinates were given, the coordinates were still pointing to public areas. in your case i would rather opt to go for option 2. if you go for option 1 (if it gets published at all), i would strongly suggest giving at least an additional waypoint on where to start off from.

Edited by dfx
Okay, I'm stuck between posting the exact coordinates, and telling people that it is underground; or just posting the entrance coordinates and telling them to go inside to the first clearing. Option 1 would be more fitting to the guidelines but runs the risk of people not reading the description. Option 2 would be a little less fitting to the guidelines but there wouldn't be much of a risk of people going on private property.

i forgot to mention that in all cases i've seen where the actual coordinates were given, the coordinates were still pointing to public areas. in your case i would rather opt to go for option 2. if you go for option 1 (if it gets published at all), i would strongly suggest giving at least an additional waypoint on where to start off from.

Okay, that seems like the best option. I'll put a picture in the note to the reviewer showing why I moved the coordinates slightly. I'm definitely going to add an additional waypoint showing where to start hiking in, it's quite a long hike in, (about 15 minutes). I wana make sure people know how to get in. Thanks for all the help!

Out of curiosity how picky are the reviewers? Is there a low chance of it being published with the coordinates slightly off?

Out of curiosity how picky are the reviewers? Is there a low chance of it being published with the coordinates slightly off?

well the reviewers don't know where exactly the cache is, so they have no way to verify how accurate the coords are. only if people end up not finding it, or finding it WAY off and saying so in their logs, and you don't do anything about it, the cache will probably get retracted.

of course that shouldn't be an excuse for giving bad coords. you should always do your best to give good coords.

Edited by dfx

well the reviewers don't know where exactly the cache is, so they have no way to verify how accurate the coords are. only if people end up not finding it, or finding it WAY off and saying so in their logs, and you don't do anything about it, the cache will probably get retracted.

of course that shouldn't be an excuse for giving bad coords. you should always do your best to give good coords.

I'll give the coords to the entrance on the dot. Going inside and finding it shouldn't be a problem, getting to the entrance is the hard part.

I would think an offset cache would be best here. Put the coordinates at the entrance. In the description, tell them to walk 148 degrees for 20 feet (or whatever bearing and distance it is to the cache). This is a valid way to get to the cache and is within the guidelines.

You would still have to give the correct coordinates to the reviewer and explain to them that it is in a drain pipe.

I would think an offset cache would be best here. Put the coordinates at the entrance. In the description, tell them to walk 148 degrees for 20 feet (or whatever bearing and distance it is to the cache). This is a valid way to get to the cache and is within the guidelines.

You would still have to give the correct coordinates to the reviewer and explain to them that it is in a drain pipe.

I would think this would work, but I would add one more thing to make sure it would. If you make the cache in the tunnel part of a multi, you could give waypoint coordinates to the tunnel entrance as suggested above, with directions, but, if the cache you found there gave coordinates to another cache (which would be the final) you would not be required to give exact coordinates of the tunnel cache. The only exact coordinates you are required to submit would be for the Final!!

Welcome to geocaching. We all can understand your enthusiasm.

Not wanting to flood your parade, I would however, like to point out that there is nothing that will hold your cache in the event of a heavy downpour, rocks either.

I do not know the exact circumstances of your placement consideration, but if it is anywhere within line of the water flow, it will wash away. Be prepared for copious amounts of cache maintenance and/or replacement. :)

Welcome to geocaching. We all can understand your enthusiasm.

Not wanting to flood your parade, I would however, like to point out that there is nothing that will hold your cache in the event of a heavy downpour, rocks either.

I do not know the exact circumstances of your placement consideration, but if it is anywhere within line of the water flow, it will wash away. Be prepared for copious amounts of cache maintenance and/or replacement. :)

I bought premium member ship now! WOOHOO!

Your cache could be do-able but be sure to read the guidelines. Once you've skimmed them, read them again slowly and make sure you really understand them. If you have questions about them you can ask your local reviewer or post here.

Another issue I have is that the clearing is that the "cavern" you have to go in is in the woods, but the clearing is actually under someone's backyard. It shouldn't be an issue because technically you aren't in their backyards, but if I post the exact coordinates maybe people would think it was in the backyard and you didn't have to go into the cavern and "crawl" to the spot in the ground

Sometimes even if a cache conforms to the guidelines it doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. A cache that has the potential to annoy the neighbors is a bad idea. If you can work it so that the neighbors will be unaware of it and it conforms to the guidelines,then go for itl.